Genesis/Moses/Abraham parallel presentation

Vort

Fifteen or twenty years ago, I made a Word document that gave a parallel presentation of the overlapping chapters of Genesis, Moses, and Abraham. I stumbled across that document several years ago and enjoyed rereading it, but when I went looking for it recently, I couldn't find it. So I redid it in Google Docs. It was enjoyable and educational to redo this. I believe the main benefit received from such a thing is the exercise in actually doing it, and I would encourage anyone with an interest in compiling a parallel presentation to do so. It's time very well spent. But in case anyone wants to read over my effort, here it is.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BbLOurr1Os57ibcAq8ff9DVxQ-oaHkQzahTa5lHFp8k/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you, @Vort.  

We're veering off the CFM program to go ahead and study Old Testament because my son who is now in his 3rd year of seminary missed out on the OT due to the change to CFM.  So he's studying BOM for the 2nd time in Seminary, we're all studying BOM in Sunday School and our personal study while we study OT as a family. 

And this document is AWESOME.  I'm going to use it in our family study.

23 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Thank you, @Vort.  

We're veering off the CFM program to go ahead and study Old Testament because my son who is now in his 3rd year of seminary missed out on the OT due to the change to CFM.  So he's studying BOM for the 2nd time in Seminary, we're all studying BOM in Sunday School and our personal study while we study OT as a family. 

And this document is AWESOME.  I'm going to use it in our family study.

I'm flattered. But as I said before, I think the real value in such a document is found in its creation. Demarcating the differences forces you to read closely and consider what things mean. But if my effort helps your family, more power to you. I hope it's useful.

@Vort the document is quite impressive - thanks.  However, I would bring to light a few things that I believe has input.  

#1.  I believe there is revelation that is more accurate or closer to what we should understand concerning these things - This is the temple endowment.  It is somewhat unfortunate that we cannot sit in the temple with a copy of your Google docs outline to make comparisons.  Because of my background in science I have been somewhat troubled with days (or times) 3 and 4 and felt they were backwards.  I agree with our prophets that the temple is a place of higher learning.  One must go to the temple often to realize contributions from temple revelations.

#2.  I find it interesting and telling that Biblical revelations of the plan of salvation begins with what is called the Creation.  However, we know that an understanding of a pre-existence and a counsel that took place there is critical to understanding the plan of salvation.

#3.  Most Christians understand the phrase "In the beginning"  to mean at the start of existence and time.  I was told by a Rabbi that a better translation from the ancient Hebrew should be "When G-d first established his covenant with man".   The Christian interpretation tends to champion the thought that G-d is not a creature of this universe space-time.  The ancient Hebrew on the other hand seem to point to something quite different and may not be related to the origins of our understanding of our space-time universe.

#4. There are references to  light and darkness in the creation narrative.   I am not convinced that the symbolic reference to light and darkness is a corresponding reference to electromagnetic radiation and the absents of it.   I am inclined to think the symbolic reference to light is a reference to the intelligence of G-d - which is a knowledge that light is a knowledge of Good and the Darkness is a knowledge of Evil and the separation of light from darkness is the understanding of the difference between good and evil.  With this understanding one can also realize a Chiastic structure within the presentations of the plan of salvation.  That the plan of salvation begins and ends with the establishment and separation of light and darkness - or good and evil.

The Traveler