LDS Audiobooks

JohnsonJones

This past Christmas I tried something new.  The Church offers audiobooks and so I downloaded...well...a bunch of them and put them in ITunes.  I then put it on an little media player I have been given and listened to them.

They are found here...

church media Library audio downloads

How do you feel about using them as a substitute for scripture study when one is travelling or otherwise engaged (driving, flying in airplanes, etc)?

I used it often as I was going to bed in the evening, letting it remain dark as I listened to them and gradually falling asleep to the scriptures being read.  I also listened to other books throughout the day.  It's probably the new 'fad' I've been doing recently in listening to them. 

What are your thoughts on these as audiobooks or listening to them, or am I the only one doing this?

2 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

This past Christmas I tried something new.  The Church offers audiobooks and so I downloaded...well...a bunch of them and put them in ITunes.  I then put it on an little media player I have been given and listened to them.

They are found here...

church media Library audio downloads

How do you feel about using them as a substitute for scripture study when one is travelling or otherwise engaged (driving, flying in airplanes, etc)?

I used it often as I was going to bed in the evening, letting it remain dark as I listened to them and gradually falling asleep to the scriptures being read.  I also listened to other books throughout the day.  It's probably the new 'fad' I've been doing recently in listening to them. 

What are your thoughts on these as audiobooks or listening to them, or am I the only one doing this?

Audio books are my jam. I listen to one a month from audible. Always more “self help” style, never a religious one.

As far as it replacing scriptures. Absolutely not. We are taught often enough about the need to read the Book of Mormon every day. An audio book or church commentary on it cannot replace that.

Guest LiterateParakeet

I love audiobooks.  I like to listen to the Book of Mormon while I am driving to work.  But I haven't used any of the other materials from the link you shared.  

I like Deseret Book Plus (there is a monthly fee) for religious books.  I've listened to several great books that way.   I'm also a fan of audible, and I get audiobooks from my library too.  

10 hours ago, Fether said:

Audio books are my jam. I listen to one a month from audible. Always more “self help” style, never a religious one.

As far as it replacing scriptures. Absolutely not. We are taught often enough about the need to read the Book of Mormon every day. An audio book or church commentary on it cannot replace that.

I tried getting a book from Amazon once (that's audible...right) and downloading it and putting it on iTunes, but I couldn't get it to work.

1 hour ago, LiterateParakeet said:

I love audiobooks.  I like to listen to the Book of Mormon while I am driving to work.  But I haven't used any of the other materials from the link you shared.  

I like Deseret Book Plus (there is a monthly fee) for religious books.  I've listened to several great books that way.   I'm also a fan of audible, and I get audiobooks from my library too.  

When I was trying to find the Teachings of Joseph Smith (I have found that I can put Books on CD on iTunes as well similar to the books from the Church's website) I went to Deseret Books' website and noted that they also had some sort of program, but I was unsure how it worked or if it was compatible with Apple devices and products.

6 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

I've done audiobooks on long drives.  Back when I had a 90 minute commute (each way), audiobooks kept me happy on the road.  Good stuff, although I have to concentrate, otherwise my my mind wanders, and I don't get anything out of it. 

That's similar to what I've been doing.  I sometimes have a longish drive (well, up to an hour depending on weather) to work at times, and also found myself flying over the holidays recently (also had a granddaughter get married this past month) so have been listening to the audiobooks a LOT while flying (as a passenger...not the pilot).  I've made it through the Book of Mormon thus (also went through some of the other non-scripture books from the Church's website) so far.

1 hour ago, JohnsonJones said:

tried getting a book from Amazon once (that's audible...right) and downloading it and putting it on iTunes, but I couldn't get it to work.

You have to use the audible app. Buy the books from audible.com (with your amazon account) and they will appear in your audible app.