New Church Handbook announced

MrShorty

Just came across an announcement that the Church is consolidating handbooks 1 and 2 into one, publicly available handbook. https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders-and-ministry/2020-01-30/new-handbook-church-leaders-members-173085?fbclid=IwAR1ssmS9XM4P5yDAeeLcwmEsyYZuT3eqwDc7QWqElkyIRFLKrllAkXmgp70

It is set for digital release in English on Feb. 19.

Edited by MrShorty

7 hours ago, Fether said:

Now we will all know the deep dark secrets of the church hierarchy.

Either that or it moved to Handbook 3.  You need a secret password to access that one.

3 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Rocking?  I’d say it was igneous.  

(Or ingenious.  I’ve heard it both ways.)

(Sorry, feeling dad-jokey at the moment.)

Did I just witness dad-joke-ception? Go one more dad joke deep and you may get lost in dad-joke limbo.

11 hours ago, Scott said:

Either that or it moved to Handbook 3.  You need a secret password to access that one.

I'm warning you now, if you quote or post anything from Handbook 3 I will ban hammer you.  

That goes for you too @NeuroTypical

Then just because I'll be in a banning mood @MormonGator gets banned too.

Guest MormonGator
3 hours ago, mirkwood said:

Then just because I'll be in a banning mood @MormonGator gets banned too.

When I get banned, I'm going out in a blaze of glory. I'm going to curse you out and use words that would make a 30 year Navy veteran blush with shame. 

10 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Why was the handbook private?  

If I were to guess....  To keep someone from trying to legalese their way around a bishop or other church leader

Edited by estradling75

Guest MormonGator
11 minutes ago, Grunt said:

I've wondered that too.

Since the internet has been invented, nothing is private anymore. The church has been slowly realizing this. 

On 1/31/2020 at 5:35 PM, estradling75 said:

If I were to guess....  To keep someone from trying to legalese their way around a bishop or other church leader

Because some member(s) would attempt to second guess the decisions made by the bishop(ric) because they “feel” that some other decision should have been made? 

I just can’t imagine a scenario where that would EVER happen.... 🤭

On 1/31/2020 at 3:24 PM, Grunt said:

If we can believe the SL Tribune/LDS Public Affairs:

LDS authorities worried that if it were widely read, some members "might decide they don't need to go see their bishop," says Michael Otterson, managing director of LDS Public Affairs. "It made much more sense to reserve that volume for leaders."

https://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=12085646&itype=storyID

Edited by Scott

This totally makes sense considering where the church is going.  Although what about people who don't use smartphones or the internet in the world?  Hopefully they'll have a leader who can print things off in Africa or wherever.

So where do the missionary handbooks fit in?  Yes books!  Last I saw the service and proselyting handbooks are separate and physical.  I'm guessing this is so they are never without instruction in case the internet connection is bad.  The proselyting (not the one published this year) vs. service are VERY different from each other (I haven't looked at the new proselyting one--I have a link to 2006, so I may be making a fool out of myself by not looking at that one, but I haven't had time), but it's clear that service* missions have a very different purpose and there is a very different attitude towards them, they even have a different website than senior (elderly) missionaries.  This is interesting because the church said they want both types of missionaries to be treated equally in the church culture.  I'm guessing the reason for the separate books and websites is so the service missionaries aren't hurt by the disparities. 

*Footnote for those who don't know: these are intern-work like assignments the church gives a missionary who doesn't qualify for proselyting, you can't apply directly for them--they are sort of a consolation for those who don't meet requirements, and all missions include service and some proselyting missionaries may do more humanitarian work than some service missionaries

Edited by Sort-of Young Mom
Wanted to make sure I defined terms