The Temptations of Christ

Traveler

This tread, in my mind is coupled to a thread I have titled “How did we get here?” in the “Current Events” forum.   If you do not see the coupling – do not worry.  Each can be discussed separately.  There has been a lot of commentary written on this subject.  For those that wish –they can read directly the scripture account in Luke 4.

What is of interest to me is that all of the temptations of Christ are things that in essence are his, belong to him and things he controls – in addition they are things that can easily be argued as what he ought to do or accept to be done for him.

My question is – how do we determine when our outlook towards things we have earned, deserve or belong to us (including our intelligence and logic) – become a temptation towards evil?  How do we know or decipher when our outlook of what is ours or what we have earned becomes such a priority that – all by itself – becomes our temptation and path to an evil destruction and is harmful not just for others but ourselves as well?

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

3 hours ago, Traveler said:

This tread, in my mind is coupled to a thread I have titled “How did we get here?” in the “Current Events” forum.   If you do not see the coupling – do not worry.  Each can be discussed separately.  There has been a lot of commentary written on this subject.  For those that wish –they can read directly the scripture account in Luke 4.

What is of interest to me is that all of the temptations of Christ are things that in essence are his, belong to him and things he controls – in addition they are things that can easily be argued as what he ought to do or accept to be done for him.

My question is – how do we determine when our outlook towards things we have earned, deserve or belong to us (including our intelligence and logic) – become a temptation towards evil?  How do we know or decipher when our outlook of what is ours or what we have earned becomes such a priority that – all by itself – becomes our temptation and path to an evil destruction and is harmful not just for others but ourselves as well?

The Traveler

I think it starts when the assumption is made that we could have earned them without Someone (the Father, Christ, etc.) going before us to show us the way and grant access to them, that there is no more to earn, and when the principle of earning is valued higher than the principle of grace.

5 hours ago, CV75 said:

I think it starts when the assumption is made that we could have earned them without Someone (the Father, Christ, etc.) going before us to show us the way and grant access to them, that there is no more to earn, and when the principle of earning is valued higher than the principle of grace.

What do you mean by Father going before us to show us the way?