Congratulations to our friends in the UK

unixknight

6 minutes ago, unixknight said:

Gratz on Brexit, guys.  Glad to see that the people still have the final word.  

And what a petty little woman that VP of the EU Parliament turned out to be.  The last words the UK ever spoke to the EU Parliament . . . unheard, because that miserable Dolores Umbrage-wannabe shut off Farage’s mike.

10 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

And what a petty little woman that VP of the EU Parliament turned out to be.  The last words the UK ever spoke to the EU Parliament . . . unheard, because that miserable Dolores Umbrage-wannabe shut off Farage’s mike.

European politics (UK in particular) have long been a savage, stomach-turning affair fit only for drunk people to watch and laugh at. I fear that US political discourse is following down that same path. And this absolutely did NOT start with Donald Trump, though he certainly has used it to his full advantage, and damaged the body politic in the process. No, this started generations ago, when I was young, and it started with the radicalized left and quickly took over the Democrat Party. You need look no further than Barack Obama to see this Democrat attitude in action.

For at least a generation, the Republicans tried taking the high road (well, mostly by comparison with the Democraps, as much as the Republicans ever try taking a high road in any matter). With the advent of Trump, the Repubs pretty much match the Democraps in nastiness.

Okay, I exaggerate. It would be nearly impossible to match leftist Democrap nastiness,. The Republicans are wandering children calling out "poopy pants!" by comparison.

14 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Ok, I had to look that up and found the video.  I can't really fault the lady for cutting the mike, and the event was hardly a tragedy - Farage got in pretty much all of the last words he wanted.

I agree with Vort's take on EU politics with one exception - you don't have to be drunk to laugh at this stuff.

image.png.dd1b15726ad0237804ed89eaeab5b422.png

When we were still in the middle of the fiasco, with remainers screaming for a second referendum and Parliament drooling over any excuse to delay Brexit longer and longer, I frequently said to my friends "Brexit is the mechanism by which the British people are disabused of the notion that they have a voice in their own government."  I have never been so glad to be wrong.

On 2/1/2020 at 3:51 PM, unixknight said:

When we were still in the middle of the fiasco, with remainers screaming for a second referendum and Parliament drooling over any excuse to delay Brexit longer and longer, I frequently said to my friends "Brexit is the mechanism by which the British people are disabused of the notion that they have a voice in their own government."  I have never been so glad to be wrong.

The big mistake was to put May in charge. OK, I quite like Theresa May. She's a nice woman. But the whole point of a leadership change was to put someone in who could - and would - implement Brexit. Someone who believed in it the way Cameron didn't. The obvious choice was Boris Johnson; crazy though he is, he would have made it happen back then the way he has now. Failing him, Andrea Leadsom would probably have done at a pinch. She was at least on the Leave side. But no, she was chucked out of the leadership race for the stupidest reason imaginable, which was blown up out of all proportion by the newspapers. And having one remainer resign, they put in another remainer - and no prizes for guessing what happened! We remained!