Gospel Living App has its US release

MarginOfError

The app has been released in other areas of the world, but just had its largest release yet in the US.

My review

Positives

It is, by far, the most useful app released by the Church solely for its communication potential. A simple app that most devices can download, works on WiFi only, and automatically links almost everyone in a sensible manner makes for effective communication without having to manage email lists and phone numbers separately.

This could, with a few improvements, replace any communication through third party avenues.

Also, parents have full visibility of any circles to which their children or youth are added. All circles are administered by multiple adults. This design makes it easy to communicate with youth in a manner consistent with youth protection guidelines.

Negatives

The app defines 'parents' as the adults living in the household. That family we have where the parents have joint and equal custody, but only one parent has the church records--one parent is invisible to this app and is cut off from communication. This may actually be a fatal flaw for my ward, and prevent us from adopting it. When it permits the ability to add other members, we may find this more agreeable

At present, you can not modify circles

Notifications are kind of wonky. 

It is not available for Amazon devices yet

Only youth organizations are served so far. I expect, in time, EQ, RS, and ward adults will receive circles.

The calendar is not tied to the ward calendar. This cannot be used in place of the ward calendar (The ward calendar supports building scheduling, the app calendar does not). 

Even though I've listed more negatives than positives, I do think that for most units, rapid and pervasive adoption of this app will be a good thing. It's potential to simplify communication is enormous. Download it today!