Missionary Portal - looks like a great tool!

NeedleinA

Perhaps I'm the last person to know this since I don't have a missionary in the field yet?
I just stumbled upon the Church's "Missionary Portal". While the actual portal is reserved for missionaries, I thought it was worth sharing for future missionaries and parents/guardians of future missionaries. This image caught my eye:
1. Check list of things still to do
2. Countdown clock
3. Profile
etc.
https://missionary.lds.org/en/home/default.html
1454105814088.thumb.jpg.a982a37e778ffe2faecab22417b6b3f5.jpg

4 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

Do you know if missionaries can talk with other missionaries, outside of their mission?

In the MTC, yes.  My son sits for lunch with his best friend that was going to another mission with a different language in the MTC.  He is also in a district with other missionaries that are going to different missions but have the same language. 

In the field - there wouldn't be another missionary in there that is not in their mission and they can only call their family.  For him to be able to talk with his friends, I would invite them to the house when my son is expected to call because we usually talk to him on video chat and so we just set up our webcam with all of us in it.  They wouldn't be talking to another missionary from another mission unless they are instructed by their mission presidents to call them for whatever reason.

But, they would be going to conferences and temple trips outside of their mission (there's no temple in their mission) and be in contact with missionaries outside their mission then who are also attending the conferences or temple ordinances.

20 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

They wouldn't be talking to another missionary from another mission unless they are instructed by their mission presidents to call them for whatever reason.

Yah sorry, bad wording on my part. I was wondering if the portal allowed missionaries to email/communicate directly with each other say if friends ended up in different missions around the world.
I think you answered it though. Thanks

Edited by NeedleinA

Just now, NeedleinA said:

Yah, I was wondering if the portal allowed missionaries to email/communicate directly with each other say if friends ended up in different missions around the world.
I think you answered though. Thanks

Oh!  That's a different question!  My son uses google hangouts, not the portal, to communicate.  He was given a smart device by the MTC that he is using right now so he has the technology to google hangout anybody if he wants, all he has to do is add their gmail accounts to his google hangout group.  But, the mission rules ask that they don't use voice/video call for anybody except their families, so he doesn't.  They can email/snail mail anybody though during their p-days - he uses his missionary.org email account. 

So, I guess I don't know if they can use the portal to talk to another missionary outside their mission.  I only know he can't talk to me on it because that feature is not available to me.

It's still quite amazing to me how my son - who defies our house rules constantly - is just fine following mission rules.  Not all of them do - like he told me there was a time when several missionaries in his wing of the dorms took their mattresses and stuck them to the ceiling in the hallway or some such...