Sign in to follow this  
Vort

Michael Bloomberg might become the first US President to commit suicide

Recommended Posts

Well, a behind the scenes 'leak' on this is a good way to test the waters to see how the general public likes the idea.

If it is favorable...well...a stronger look at a Bloomberg/Clinton.  Bad reception at the thought...easy to say it was not even under consideration and was a bad rumor that came out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

There is no way he will win the presidency. Trump is the only strong candidate running.

Bloomberg is basically a Trump that might actually act and talk smart/presidential. This could really go either way for the Dems. It could be good because I think he would be a big hit with swing voters and moderate Republicans who like Trump's economic policies but not much else about him. He could also sink the Dems because I find it hard to believe that Bernie bros and black voters would show up to vote for him. A Bloomberg win in the primaries would also further the narrative that the DNC is corrupt and that nominations can simply be bought by the highest bidder.

Edited by Godless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Godless said:

Bloomberg is basically a Trump that might actually act and talk smart/presidential.

When I see the good that some of Trump's choices have done, e.g. Gorsuch, and consider the obvious and often heavy bias that the political left and the Democrat-cheerleading media have consistently shown against conservatives and toward leftist causes for more than half of my lifetime, I start to wonder if acting and talking smart/presidential is as much a virtue as I have always believed. I'm pretty sure I'll take a foul-mouthed, boorish Trump over literally anyone the Democrats are likely to offer, including (perhaps especially) Mike Bloomberg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Vort said:

When I see the good that some of Trump's choices have done, e.g. Gorsuch, and consider the obvious and often heavy bias that the political left and the Democrat-cheerleading media have consistently shown against conservatives and toward leftist causes for more than half of my lifetime, I start to wonder if acting and talking smart/presidential is as much a virtue as I have always believed. I'm pretty sure I'll take a foul-mouthed, boorish Trump over literally anyone the Democrats are likely to offer, including (perhaps especially) Mike Bloomberg.

Do you think the majority of GOP NeverTrumpers feel the same way? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Do you think the majority of GOP NeverTrumpers feel the same way? 

I voted for McMullin as a protest vote in 2016 (for anyone concerned relax Trump won Indiana by over 19 points and was polling that way before the election so there was no risk☺) . But I wouldn't vote for Bloomberg or any Democratic candidate because even the most moderate of them is strongly pro choice. I'm pretty conservative though, and I was happy about Trump's judicial appointments. I bet Bloomberg would appeal to moderates and some disaffected Republicans a lot more than Bernie. I still think he's just going to divide the moderate vote more and let Bernie win but we will see what happens on Super Tuesday.

Edited by Midwest LDS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Midwest LDS said:

I voted for McMullin as a protest vote in 2016 (for anyone concerned relax Trump won Indiana by over 19 points and was polling that way before the election so there was no risk☺) . But I wouldn't vote for Bloomberg or any Democratic candidate because even the most moderate of them is strongly pro choice. I'm pretty conservative though, and I was happy about Trump's judicial appointments. I bet Bloomberg would appeal to moderates and some disaffected Republicans a lot more than Bernie. I still think he's just going to divide the moderate vote more and let Bernie win but we will see what happens on Super Tuesday.

It’s sounding like Bloomberg back in the 1990s was documented saying some rather inappropriate things about women.  They’re peanuts compared to what Trunp has said and done; but I think they’re troublesome enough that the Dem base, having thoroughly yoked itself to #metoo, is going to have a hard time falling in line behind Bloomberg—especially in light of the other obstacles @Godless has mentioned.  

If they do manage to fall in line . . . I’d be worried.  Bloomberg’s ads have been very, very good.  The hope for Trumplings and conservatives, as I see it, is that to the degree that Bloomberg is running against Trump personally—he’s running against the Trump of 2016 (deconstructing the narrative of Trump as a successful, get-things-done, pragmatic, not-your-ordinary-politician, man-of-the-people; and presenting himself as someone who actually did come up middle-class, is twenty times richer than Trump, and never lost a billion dollars in bankruptcy, to boot).  But the recent SOTU positions the Donald Trump of 2020 will have moved on to the narrative of a successful President who has checked dangerous extremists at home and abroad, and under whom life is better for all Americans.  In short, Bloomberg looks to be falling into the trap of campaigning for the last election. 

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

It’s sounding like Bloomberg back in the 1990s was documented saying some rather inappropriate things about women.  They’re peanuts compared to what Trunp has said and done; but I think they’re troublesome enough that the Dem base, having thoroughly yoked itself to #metoo, is going to have a hard time falling in line behind Bloomberg—especially in light of the other obstacles @Godless has mentioned.  

If they do manage to fall in line . . . I’d be worried.  Bloomberg’s ads have been very, very good.  The hope for Trumplings and conservatives, as I see it, is that to the degree that Bloomberg is running against Trump personally—he’s running against the Trump of 2016 (deconstructing the narrative of Trump as a successful, get-things-done, pragmatic, not-your-ordinary-politician, man-of-the-people; and presenting himself as someone who actually did come up middle-class, is twenty times richer than Trump, and never lost a billion dollars in bankruptcy, to boot).  But the recent SOTU positions the Donald Trump of 2020 will have moved on to the narrative of a successful President who has checked dangerous extremists at home and abroad, and under whom life is better for all Americans.  In short, Bloomberg looks to be falling into the trap of campaigning for the last election. 

I agree. It will be interesting if he can line up support from far left Dems due to the problems you mentioned if he secures the nomination. I suspect he will mostly. My Democratic friends are mostly the more moderate sort who don't like Sanders. But they are operating under the "anyone who's blue" mentality so they will vote for him if push comes to shove. I think Democrats are fairly united in their dislike of Trump so it's not a question of uniting the base, it's how many moderates, independents, and disaffected Republicans the Democratic nominee can swing over, and Bloomberg will get a lot more of those than Sanders. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once you accept the possibility that Bloomberg isn't running for president to actually win the election, some of this becomes a little bit more understandable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

If they do manage to fall in line . . . I’d be worried.  Bloomberg’s ads have been very, very good.  

And they're EVEYWHERE! The other day I took one of those online questionnaires to see where my stance on major issues compared with the candidates. A Bloomberg ad popped up while the results were loading. 😳

2 hours ago, Midwest LDS said:

I agree. It will be interesting if he can line up support from far left Dems due to the problems you mentioned if he secures the nomination. I suspect he will mostly. My Democratic friends are mostly the more moderate sort who don't like Sanders. But they are operating under the "anyone who's blue" mentality so they will vote for him if push comes to shove. I think Democrats are fairly united in their dislike of Trump so it's not a question of uniting the base, it's how many moderates, independents, and disaffected Republicans the Democratic nominee can swing over, and Bloomberg will get a lot more of those than Sanders. 

The conundrum is that a Sanders nomination will make moderate Dems more likely to sit out the election, but Bloomberg may do the same for black and farther left voters. He really is the closest thing to Trump that the Dems could put on the ticket, and I think he may be the one blue candidate that many of us would struggle to vote for, even more so than Hillary. If Bloomberg wins the nomination, then a case could be made that the party is broken and needs to be reset. The same was true for the GOP when Trump won the nomination, and it'll be interesting to see how that party copes with the post-Trump identity crisis that is bound to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Godless said:

The same was true for the GOP when Trump won the nomination, and it'll be interesting to see how that party copes with the post-Trump identity crisis that is bound to happen.

My thoughts completely. Where does the party go in 2024? Who can follow Trump?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Godless said:

 

And they're EVEYWHERE! The other day I took one of those online questionnaires to see where my stance on major issues compared with the candidates. A Bloomberg ad popped up while the results were loading. 😳

The conundrum is that a Sanders nomination will make moderate Dems more likely to sit out the election, but Bloomberg may do the same for black and farther left voters. He really is the closest thing to Trump that the Dems could put on the ticket, and I think he may be the one blue candidate that many of us would struggle to vote for, even more so than Hillary. If Bloomberg wins the nomination, then a case could be made that the party is broken and needs to be reset. The same was true for the GOP when Trump won the nomination, and it'll be interesting to see how that party copes with the post-Trump identity crisis that is bound to happen.

The identity crisis of the GOP is the neo-cons versus the what-used-to-be-called-Tea-Party.  That fissure has been there before Trump.  Post-Trump is easy to predict - neo-cons are gone by the wayside and you can pretty much say the Tea Party movement achieved their objectives even as they haven't yet achieved the reigning of the federal budget.  Post Trump is going to be the likes of Pence, Cruz, Jordan, et. al., rather than Bush, Romney, Rubio et. al. especially if Trump gets a second term.  And right now, the GOP is as united as its ever been post-Reagan even with the major ideological changes that Trump's America First agenda brought into the party.  Sure, the war hawks and free traders come out when Trump's America First agenda is tested on foreign land... but every single one of those skirmishes Trump has won and the demonstrable results of his agenda are silencing the in-party critics... at least while Trump's agenda is keeping the economy soaring and relative peace going.

The resulting effect of this on the Democratic Party, though is damaging the Democrats big time.  Trump's embracing of some Democrat policies has got them whiplashed as they try to figure out how to keep the Resist movement going and finding themselves criticizing things they championed.

Edited by anatess2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Godless said:

 

And they're EVEYWHERE! The other day I took one of those online questionnaires to see where my stance on major issues compared with the candidates. A Bloomberg ad popped up while the results were loading.

I saw a Bloomberg ad while waiting for a Ben Shapiro video to load the other day.  It was quite an amusing juxtaposition. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I saw a Bloomberg ad while waiting for a Ben Shapiro video to load the other day.  It was quite an amusing juxtaposition. ;) 

As a media mogul, Bloomberg has not yet learned how modern media works... Internet folks hate pop-up ads.  They put up with it because they have to to get the free content.  But most are twirling their fingers waiting for the 5 seconds before the Skip Ad button pops up...  Flooding the air with ads worked back in the days of legacy media when people are more patient to sit still infront of the TV to wait for the show.  These days, you push your message, then you get out... then you don't leave a bad taste in people's psyches.

And that's why Trump's twitter is very powerful.  It's a 24/7 ad campaign that people don't itch to "Skip".  It's just... THERE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Godless said:

Let's see how Bloomberg's first debate is going...

I've been Team Warren since 11/9/16. You love to see it.

For me....

Bloomberg's ads have made me LESS likely to vote for him...ironically.

One that I saw was boasting about how he's moved NY more towards green energy and other reforms...my response was inwardly saying...and now he admits to the rest of NY state WHY the energy costs have gone up and WHY it is so expensive to try to even find a place that is affordable in NYC these days just to have someplace to live.  Under these rules he's instituted prices have gone out beyond the roof...why would I want that in the rest of the nation?  It's hard enough already to find affordable housing in some areas...from his ad he wants to make the rest of the nation as unaffordable as he made NY!!!

I was favorable towards Warren until she made an unabashed and really rude attack on Sanders.  Much of her platform was similar to Sanders, but she had the fringes from Sanders.  In that state she could not overtake Sanders due to the similarities of issues...but Sanders having been there first.  So...obviously...she decided to attack him.  However, the WAY she went about it REALLY reminded me of how Trump attacks those he wants to take down.  Very rude in how she does it, and to a degree it seems she elaborates or builds it up to be bigger or say something MORE than what was actually said (sort of like how she did with the entire Native American narrative previously).

I'm not a fan of voting for her right now, she kind of blew it when she went after Sanders the way she did.  If it had REALLY occurred there were other ways to bring it up and do it rather than a she said/he said type instance.  Provide witnesses, evidence...etc. and bring it through the media.  Then  you can bring it up as a debate topic.  Instead, the way she handled it turned me off pretty hard.

Right now, people know I like Bernie Sanders.  Other than him, currently  (and things change, I'm open to changing my opinion based on what they do and say) the only one I'd probably vote for out of the bunch is Biden.  I know the baggage some bring up about him, but honestly, I didn't think the impeachment articles had enough stuff to really be worth an impeachment against Trump and in the same light, I don't think the same types of issues are something that should sink Biden either.  Politicians are Politicians, exceptions to that are rare.  Out of the groups running Biden is probably the most central and least dangerous to the public that I can see of the rest of the groups that are running (Dem or Rep).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

Bloomberg's ads have made me LESS likely to vote for him...ironically.

One of my closest friends is, by his own admission, a "Mario Cuomo democrat". He's leaning towards Bloomberg simply because the rest of the democrats are too socialist for him. As someone who isn't a democrat I'm most worried about Bloomberg because I feel many moderate democrats will flock to him while they would avoid Sanders or Warren. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this