New Handbook

Nacho2Dope

Guest MormonGator

Apparently, disciplinary councils are no longer called that, and the church strengthened it's view that transgenderism is against the will of God. Other than that, no major changes?

Edited by MormonGator

44 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

and the church strengthened it's view that transgenderism is against the will of God. 

It seems that it has gone softer rather than strengthened the policies.   Before transgender people couldn't get baptized (or at least I thought so).  Now it seems that they can?

6 minutes ago, Scott said:

It seems that it has gone softer rather than strengthened the policies.   Before transgender people couldn't get baptized (or at least I thought so).  Now it seems that they can?

Transgendered, yes.  Less clear whether they may be when they are transitioned (although I would interpret the handbook to indicate they can be baptized, but may not be able to receive priesthood or temple ordinances).

But this handbook seems to consider "transgender" and "transgender and transitioned" to be separate concepts.

Guest MormonGator
34 minutes ago, Scott said:

That's true. I do think the church is getting more "progressive" for lack of a better word. Or at least more sensitive. 

Edited by MormonGator

6 minutes ago, MarginOfError said:

Well, this version of the Handbook is less sensitive to left handed members.

Members partake with their right hand when possible. (18.9.4)

I really thought we had gotten past this kind of nonsense.

I don't understand. If the First Presidency considered it sufficient to include in the handbook, how is it "nonsense"?

4 minutes ago, MarginOfError said:

Well, this version of the Handbook is less sensitive to left handed members.

I really thought we had gotten past this kind of nonsense.

Why does this last statement bring the scripture to mind, "When they are learned they think they are wise..."

Yep, totally insensitive, I mean how dare a left handed person choose to use the proper hand as directed "when possible." Heaven forbid!

18 minutes ago, Vort said:

I don't understand. If the First Presidency considered it sufficient to include in the handbook, how is it "nonsense"?

That particular instruction, so far as I can tell, has never been included before. I can confirm it hasn't been in the Handbooks for at least 20 years. It's extra scriptural, with the significance of the right hand deriving from cultural influences that are themselves derived from the sanitation habits of ancient civilizations.

But with a little research, I'm less surprised.  This link  is the only reference I can find by any Church leader in the past 40 years that says anything at all on the subject. Guess who.... 

I'll put this one on the list of policy statement against which I am in open rebellion.

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, MarginOfError said:

I'll put this one on the list of policy statement against which I am in open rebellion.

1 minute ago, Vort said:

I'd suggest that isn't a wise course of action.

I'm curious guys (Actually MOE, I don't know your gender. My apologies if I'm wrong)-is this a hill you want to die on? 

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic