Baseball is Glorified Rounders!

Jamie123

Why do Americans think baseball is so awesome?

As far as I can make out, it's exactly the same game as rounders. OK there are a few differences I grant you - but baseball is still just glorified rounders.

And rounders is not even a proper sport. It's a game school kids play at lunchtime when they've got nothing better to do. (We used to play it using an old police truncheon as a bat. It belonged to a friend of mine, who claimed to have found it at the bottom of the school fields "covered in flesh and blood". That was by no means the only tall tale he ever told...that guy could have given Baron Munchausen a run for his money. But anyway, I digress...)

The point is, what's the big deal with watching a bunch of grown men playing rounders of all things? Not only that, but going gaga about famous rounders players, and collecting cards with their photos on? If you ask me, all Americans are crazy.

My American wife thinks otherwise, but she says she's fed up with arguing about it!

2 minutes ago, Jamie123 said:

What? WHAT?!

"Glorified rounders?" Uncultured Philistine! HOW DARE YOU!!

Soccer (what you call "football") is just glorified Kick the Can! There! Take that! NOW you're sorry!

(I'm not actually a huge baseball fan, but I'm related to several. So for this response, I'm channelling them.)

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Vort said:

What? WHAT?!

"Glorified rounders?" Uncultured Philistine! HOW DARE YOU!!

Soccer (what you call "football") is just glorified Kick the Can! There! Take that! NOW you're sorry!

(I'm not actually a huge baseball fan, but I'm related to several. So for this response, I'm channelling them.)

I'm an obsessive baseball fan (anyone on my FB can easily see). I have season tickets to both the Gators and the Rays. I go a step further and get the baseball package on TV every year so I can get out of market games. Sadly though, it's obvious to me that it is no longer our national pastime. 

2 minutes ago, Jamie123 said:

Bt the way I hope my wife's nephew isn't reading this thread. If he is, he'll right now be planning avunculacide! (Is that a word?)

Big rounders fan, huh?

(BTW, "avunculicide". Yes, it's a real word, one that we should give you credit for coining.)

Guest MormonGator
20 minutes ago, Jamie123 said:

Why not go one step further and get the rounders package? 😜

When I was a child I ranted and raved to my dad about how bad country music was. I didn't understand how someone could like it. His response? "Well Tim, I'm sure you like music they don't understand or enjoy. So..." 

Different strokes. 

Edited by MormonGator

34 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

When I was a child I ranted and raved to my dad about how bad country music was. I didn't understand how someone could like it. His response? "Well Tim, I'm sure you like music they don't understand or enjoy. So..." 

Different strokes. 

When I was a kid I had much the same opinion of fruit cake. Actually I probably could get into baseball if I wanted to, but I have much too much fun winding up the Americans about it!

Edited by Jamie123

4 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

When I was a kid I had much the same opinion of fruit cake. Actually I probably could get into baseball if I wanted to, but I have much too much fun winding up the Americans about it!

I still have the same opinion on fruit cake today!!  People have different tastes, but I still don't like fruit cake.

On 2/20/2020 at 11:45 AM, MormonGator said:

I'm an obsessive baseball fan (anyone on my FB can easily see). I have season tickets to both the Gators and the Rays. I go a step further and get the baseball package on TV every year so I can get out of market games. Sadly though, it's obvious to me that it is no longer our national pastime

Yep, that honor is now held by Twitter and Facebook. Good job, Americans.

On 2/21/2020 at 5:37 AM, Jamie123 said:

As far as I can make out, it's exactly the same game as rounders. OK there are a few differences I grant you - but baseball is still just glorified rounders.

And rounders is not even a proper sport. It's a game school kids play at lunchtime when they've got nothing better to do. (We used to play it using an old police truncheon as a bat. It belonged to a friend of mine, who claimed to have found it at the bottom of the school fields "covered in flesh and blood". That was by no means the only tall tale he ever told...that guy could have given Baron Munchausen a run for his money. But anyway, I digress...)

The point is, what's the big deal with watching a bunch of grown men playing rounders of all things? Not only that, but going gaga about famous rounders players, and collecting cards with their photos on? If you ask me, all Americans are crazy.

My American wife thinks otherwise, but she says she's fed up with arguing about it!

I've always thought that base ball (what a totally appropriate name) is more like a corrupted, Americanised version of cricket. 

adjective, bas·er, bas·est. morally low; without estimable personal qualities; dishonorable; meanspirited; selfish; cowardly. ... debased or counterfeit: an attempt to eliminate the base coinage. characteristic of or befitting an inferior person or thing

9 minutes ago, askandanswer said:
adjective, bas·er, bas·est. morally low; without estimable personal qualities; dishonorable; meanspirited; selfish; cowardly. ... debased or counterfeit: an attempt to eliminate the base coinage. characteristic of or befitting an inferior person or thing
base1
/bās/
noun
noun: base; plural noun: bases

5. CHEMISTRY
  1. a substance capable of reacting with an acid to form a salt and water, or (more broadly) of accepting or neutralizing hydrogen ions.

5 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

hmm, not such a good description of base ball. 

Obviously, you've never played baseball. Wait until you get a line drive to the teeth, and then you can decide for yourself if it's not just about as pleasant as drinking toilet bowl cleaner. Base indeed!

Edited by Vort

Guest MormonGator
8 hours ago, Vort said:

The freakishly long tongue is always attractive, but it's the shoulder horns that makes Gene Simmons irresistible to women.

Having millions of dollars might help. 

For the record, I find Gene Simmons to be a truly wretched and shallow person. 

Edited by MormonGator