Jamie123

Guest Godless
6 hours ago, Scott said:

Here's one that everyone knows, but it doesn't make that much sense:

Yankee Doodle went to town
A-Riding on a pony
Stuck a feather in his cap
And called it macaroni

I recently learned that this song was originally written by the British to mock the colonists, who ended up embracing it and revising it into an anti-Brit anthem.

30 minutes ago, Godless said:

I recently learned that this song was originally written by the British to mock the colonists, who ended up embracing it and revising it into an anti-Brit anthem.

Yep they were calling us bumpkins who thought we were sophisticated. This link describes it pretty well https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/the-macaroni-in-yankee-doodle-is-not-what-you-think

"

On returning from a Grand Tour (a then-standard trip across Continental Europe intended to deepen cultural knowledge), these young men brought to England a stylish sense of fashion consisting of large wigs and slim clothing as well as a penchant for the then-little-known Italian dish for which they were named. In England at large, the word “macaroni” took on a larger significance. To be “macaroni” was to be sophisticated, upper class, and worldly.

In “Yankee Doodle,” then, the British were mocking what they perceived as the Americans’ lack of class. The first verse is satirical because a doodle—a simpleton—thinks that he can be macaroni—fashionable—simply by sticking a feather in his cap. In other words, he is out of touch with high society."

Edited by Midwest LDS

13 hours ago, Scott said:

I am the Walrus by the Beatles:

From what I understand, John Lennon *deliberately* wrote it to be as nonsensical as possible to mess with someone who kept speculating on what the "real" meaning of the band's music was. 

• 3 months later...

And speaking of Lady Antebellum, they've now decided their name is politically incorrect. They're just plain "Lady A" now. (And don't you dare ask what the A stands for!)

Utter nonsense. One can appreciate the elegance of the Antebellum South without approving of slavery - just as one can appreciate the culture and achievements of 5th Century Athens - or even pre-Norman Conquest England - without doing the same.

Edited by Jamie123

On 2/21/2020 at 8:19 AM, Jamie123 said:

1. The Righteous Brothers: "You never close your eyes anymore when I kiss your lips." How would he even know this unless he kept his own eyes open? Sounds like he's lost some "loving feeling" of his own.

There are other indicators.

2. Carly Simon: "I'll bet you think this song is about you." The song is about him! It can be about him without being in praise of him. It would be more a sign of vanity if he thought it wasn't about him, but about some other conceited man, and he's thinking "aren't I so wonderful not being vain like him?"

Meh.  I tend to think that most vain people do know that they are vain.  They just don't think it's wrong when THEY do it.

3. Chris de Burgh: "Close the shutters, do not cry, there's a new moon in the sky." Earlier in the same song he told us that "a big fat moon is dancing on the sea". In the time it's taken him to sing 11 lines, the moon has gone through half its complete orbit.

It depends on if it is literal or figurative.  Ironically, it makes sense if it is literal. The moon is ALWAYS in the sky even when it is dancing on the sea.  If it is figurative, it is an inconsistent metaphor.  Bad, bad, bad...

4. REO Speedwagon: "And if I have to crawl upon the floor, come crashing through your door." How can you come crashing through a door if you're crawling on the floor? How would you get enough momentum up, shuffling on your hands and knees? Unless it was a very rotten door that just collapsed when you nudged it with your head.

I always took these two statements to mean two things that he was willing to do -- not necessarily at the same time or in immediate succession.  Compare to Weird Al's "One More Minute."

On 2/21/2020 at 10:30 AM, Jamie123 said:

I've thought of another one:

5. James Blunt: "She smiled at me on the subway / She was with another man / But I won't lose no sleep on that / 'Cause I've got a plan". In the very next verse he says: "And I don't know what to do'Cause I'll never be with you." He doesn't know what to do?? He just told us he had a plan!!

Yeah, I don't think that someone who is celebrating drugs is going to make much sense.

On 2/21/2020 at 11:06 AM, Scott said:

I am the Walrus by the Beatles:

On 2/22/2020 at 12:09 AM, Ironhold said:

From what I understand, John Lennon *deliberately* wrote it to be as nonsensical as possible to mess with someone who kept speculating on what the "real" meaning of the band's music was. 

I believe this to be one of the earliest examples of the "cut-up" method of lyric writing.  They actually make millions off of this.

Edited by Carborendum

I'm your only friend
I'm not your only friend
But I'm a little glowing friend
But really I'm not actually your friend
But I am

Blue canary in the outlet by the light switch
Who watches over you
Make a little birdhouse in your soul
Not to put too fine a point on it
Say I'm the only bee in your bonnet
Make a little birdhouse in your soul

I have a secret to tell
From my electrical well
It's a simple message and I'm leaving out the whistles and bells
So the room must listen to me
Filibuster vigilantly
My name is blue canary one note spelled l-I-t-e
My story's infinite
Like the Longines Symphonette it doesn't rest

There's a picture opposite me
Of my primitive ancestry
Which stood on rocky shores and kept the beaches shipwreck free
Though I respect that a lot
I'd be fired if that were my job
After killing Jason off and countless screaming Argonauts
Bluebird of friendliness
Like guardian angels its always near

(And while you're at it
Keep the nightlight on inside the
Birdhouse in your soul)

Mama pajama rolled out of bed
And she ran to the police station
When the papa found out, he began to shout
And he started the investigation

It's against the law, it was against the law
What the mama saw, it was against the law

Mama looked down and spit on the ground
Every time my name gets mentioned
The papa say, "Oy, if I get that boy
I'm gonna stick him in the house of detention"

Well I'm on my way
I don't know where I'm goin'
I'm on my way, I'm takin' my time
But I don't know where
Goodbye to Rosie, the Queen of Corona
See you, me and Julio down by the schoolyard

Whoa!
In a couple of days they come and take me away
But the press let the story leak
And when the radical priest come to get me released
We was all on the cover of Newsweek

And I'm on my way
I don't know where I'm goin'
I'm on my way, I'm takin' my time
But I don't know where
Goodbye to Rosie, the Queen of Corona

Paul Simon was asked once,"What exactly was it that Mama saw?"

Simon responded,"Something that was against the law, apparently."

19 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Paul Simon was asked once,"What exactly was it that Mama saw?"

Simon responded,"Something that was against the law, apparently."

There's been active speculation as to just what took place, up to and including the pair having a homosexual encounter. 

53 minutes ago, Ironhold said:

There's been active speculation as to just what took place, up to and including the pair having a homosexual encounter. 

There is always speculation about songs.  But when the songwriter didn't have anything in particular in mind, it kinda means that any interpretation simply reflects the personal biases of the listener.

It was the same with the Beatles.  They only wrote a few songs with any particular intended meanings behind them.  Mostly, they just wrote what sounded good at the time.  Then they'd sit back an wait for the fandom to come up with a million ideas.  When they heard one that they all liked, they'd say,"Yeah, that sounds good. We'll go with that."

I'm reminded of Paul and Linda McCartney's "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey." "Uncle Albert" makes some sense, but "Admiral Halsey" doesn't, and I love it.

There's a scene in "Mr. Holland's Opus" where Richard Dreyfus' character talks about music and plays "Louie, Louie." I'm not sure which version. "Take these guys, for example. They can't sing, they play the same three notes over and over, . . . and I love it!" I believe he's talking about enjoying music when a student had trouble hitting one note.

I could go on with a few more examples, some of which question their appropriateness, and others are misunderstood, which is a different topic.

Edited by Jeremy A
I forgot to put who sings the Uncle Albert song.

Guest Scott

Steal My Sunshine by Len.

I admit that I kind of like the song, but I seriously have no idea what it's about.  Either it doesn't make sense or I'm just missing the meaning:

Hey, Matt

Yeah, Tim?

Hey, you talked to Marc lately?

Uh, haven't really talked to him but he looks pretty, uh, down

"He looks pretty, uh, down?"

Yeah, well, maybe we should cheer him up then

What do you, uh, suppose we should do?

Well, does he like butter tarts?

I was lying on the grass of Sunday morning of last week

Indulging in my self-defeat

My mind was thugged, all laced and bugged, all twisted, wrong and beat

A comfortable three feet deep

Now the fuzzy stare from not being there on a confusing morning week

Impaired my tribal lunar speak

And of course you can't become if you only say what you would have done

So I missed a million miles of fun

I know it's up for me

(If you steal my sunshine)

Making sure I'm not in too deep

Keeping versed and on my feet

Chad, come here, come here, come here

Wow, look at her

I know

Man, I've never seen Sharon look so bad before

I did once before, but this is pretty bad

Yeah, what do you think she got up to last night?

Well, I... Sharon, I love you!

I was frying on the bench slide in the park across the street

L-A-T-E-R that week

My sticky paws were into making straws out of big fat slurpy treats

An incredible eight-foot heap

Now the funny glare to pay a gleaming tare in a staring under heat

Involved an under usual feat

And I'm not only among but I invite who I want to come

So I missed a million miles of fun

• 2 weeks later...