Church has issued a statement on Covid-19

8 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

I've been waiting on any news about travel changes for missionaries headed to SouthEast Asia.  So far, I have not heard a single word.  So, I guess my son is still headed out of the MTC on schedule.

There's a Trib article stating that a bunch of missionaries in countries XYZ are being postponed or given new assignments.  The Philippines wasn't on the list, so I'm not not sure it's helpful, but I did see that.   

33 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

There's a Trib article stating that a bunch of missionaries in countries XYZ are being postponed or given new assignments.  The Philippines wasn't on the list, so I'm not not sure it's helpful, but I did see that.   

Yes, yes.  A poor mom with her kid headed out to... Thailand I think it was.  He left the MTC for Canada instead.  Poor mama had to scrounge around for RMs from Canada who can loan her son some winter missionary clothing as he only brought enough for the MTC and the rest of his stuff are for tropical climate.  I just now putting 2 and 2 together.  I'm slow today.

Edited by anatess2

2 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Yes, yes.  A poor mom with her kid headed out to... Thailand I think it was.  He left the MTC for Canada instead.  Poor mama had to scrounge around for RMs from Canada who can loan her son some winter missionary clothing as he only brought enough for the MTC and the rest of his stuff are for tropical climate.  I just now putting 2 and 2 together.  I'm slow today.

Could this become a partial fulfillment of this prophecy from Heber C. Kimball?

"The judgements of God will be poured out upon the wicked, to the extent that our elders from far and near will be called home; or in other words, the Gospel will be taken from the gentiles, and later on will be carried to the Jews."

3 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

Could this become a partial fulfillment of this prophecy from Heber C. Kimball?

"The judgements of God will be poured out upon the wicked, to the extent that our elders from far and near will be called home; or in other words, the Gospel will be taken from the gentiles, and later on will be carried to the Jews."

I don’t think so.  They’re not called home, they’re sent somewhere else.

8 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Yes, yes.  A poor mom with her kid headed out to... Thailand I think it was

My wife and I have been in Thailand since last Sunday and we've both been coughing a lot for the last several days. Neither of us have had a high temperature or other symptoms so we think its just a normal kind of cough. All the locals we've spoken with say that the number of tourists here is way down on the usual numbers and that many bars restaurants and hotels are feeling the impact.

3 hours ago, anatess2 said:

I don’t think so.  They’re not called home, they’re sent somewhere else.

No, they are called home.

Do you think there is calamity abroad now among the people? Not much. All we have yet heard and all we have experienced is scarcely a preface to the sermon that is going to be preached. When the testimony of the Elders ceases to be given, and the Lord says to them, “Come home; I will now preach my own sermons to the nations of the earth,” all you now know can scarcely be called a preface to the sermon that will be preached with fire and sword, tempests, earthquakes, hail, rain, thunders and lightnings, and fearful destruction. What matters the destruction of a few railway cars? You will hear of magnificent cities, now idolized by the people, sinking in the earth, entombing the inhabitants. The sea will heave itself beyond its bounds, engulfing mighty cities. Famine will spread over the nations, and nation will rise up against nation, kingdom against kingdom, and states against states, in our own country and in foreign lands; and they will destroy each other, caring not for the blood and lives of their neighbors, of their families, or for their own lives.

~ Brigham Young, JD 8:30

When God has called out the righteous, when the warning voice has been sufficiently proclaimed among these Gentile nations, and the Lord says “It is enough,” he will also say to his servants–”O, ye, my servants, come home, come out from the midst of these Gentile nations, where you have labored and borne testimony for so long a period; come out from among them, for they are not worthy; they do not receive the message that I have sent forth, they do not repent of their sins; come out from their midst, their times are fulfilled. Seal up the testimony among them and bind up the law.

Orson Pratt, Conference Report (I think also in the JD)

Edited by mirkwood

6 hours ago, mirkwood said:

No, they are called home.

Do you think there is calamity abroad now among the people? Not much. All we have yet heard and all we have experienced is scarcely a preface to the sermon that is going to be preached. When the testimony of the Elders ceases to be given, and the Lord says to them, “Come home; I will now preach my own sermons to the nations of the earth,” all you now know can scarcely be called a preface to the sermon that will be preached with fire and sword, tempests, earthquakes, hail, rain, thunders and lightnings, and fearful destruction. What matters the destruction of a few railway cars? You will hear of magnificent cities, now idolized by the people, sinking in the earth, entombing the inhabitants. The sea will heave itself beyond its bounds, engulfing mighty cities. Famine will spread over the nations, and nation will rise up against nation, kingdom against kingdom, and states against states, in our own country and in foreign lands; and they will destroy each other, caring not for the blood and lives of their neighbors, of their families, or for their own lives.

~ Brigham Young, JD 8:30

When God has called out the righteous, when the warning voice has been sufficiently proclaimed among these Gentile nations, and the Lord says “It is enough,” he will also say to his servants–”O, ye, my servants, come home, come out from the midst of these Gentile nations, where you have labored and borne testimony for so long a period; come out from among them, for they are not worthy; they do not receive the message that I have sent forth, they do not repent of their sins; come out from their midst, their times are fulfilled. Seal up the testimony among them and bind up the law.

Orson Pratt, Conference Report (I think also in the JD)

I'm saying the missionaries are not sent home because of the corona virus unless you have only 3 months left to serve.  They are reassigned after quarantine.

Guest LiterateParakeet
9 hours ago, Moonbeast32 said:

Hmm. There is some enormous weight upon the April 2020 general conference right now. The emergence of this new viral plague around the same time can't possibly be a coincidence.

But what could it mean?

I think you raise an interesting possibility.  I remember on my mission, Satan really seemed to put the pressure on when someone committed to baptism.  Or now, my friends and I have joked about not mentioning it out loud when we are planning to go to the temple because when we do, everything seems to pile on to prevent that from happening.  Yes, it could be our imagination.  :)   It could also be Satan.  

I'm not convinced that it isn't a coincidence, but on the other hand, you might be on to something.  Pres. Nelson said this would be a historic conference, and this is the first time in my memory, that they have cancelled the Leadership meetings due to an illness....I guess that makes it historic already.  :)   

Guest MormonGator
15 hours ago, mirkwood said:

Why not?

Because the plagues they talk about in the last days (And I do believe there will be plagues, 100%) will be far more serious than a cold. This is a slightly more dangerous swine flu. 

Plague:
- The bacterium Yersinia pestis. 
- Contagious, spreads rapidly.
- It kills many people.

Right know, the disease caused by the COVID virus (how'd I do Vort?) gets one out of three, maybe two.  It's viral, perhaps might kill more than the usual old flu which kills half a million people every year in the world, but we don't know yet.

11 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

Good news you can atop worrying about Coronavirus now...it's a hoax that Democrats made up to make Trump look bad, thats all.

Move along folks, nothing to see here. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/28/trump-says-the-coronavirus-is-the-democrats-new-hoax.html

Only that's not what he said.  

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-calls-coronavirus-democrats-new-hoax-n1145721

10 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

Good news you can atop worrying about Coronavirus now...it's a hoax that Democrats made up to make Trump look bad, thats all.

Move along folks, nothing to see here. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/28/trump-says-the-coronavirus-is-the-democrats-new-hoax.html

Did you actually, you know...read the article you cited?

I know it's asking a lot. Reading and understanding a whole article? Not fair, really. I get it. Mocking Trump is both easy and fun! Truthfulness be damned!

Guest LiterateParakeet

@Vortand @Grunt

No worries I was just making a joke.  The headline just tickled my funny bone.  Yeah I read the article. 

I'm not a fan of Democrats either. Doubtless both parties will use thia for political gain if they can. I'm getting my popcorn.

2 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

@Vortand @Grunt

No worries I was just making a joke.  The headline just tickled my funny bone.  Yeah I read the article. 

I'm not a fan of Democrats either. Doubtless both parties will use thia for political gain if they can. I'm getting my popcorn.

So you're mocking the CNBC headline? Then I agree with you.

It's both funny and disturbing how often I find myself defending Donald Trump in some way. His public persona is repulsive to me, and normally he's not someone to whose defense I would rush. He says and writes enough stupid, populist nonsense to remind me of that daily. Yet I find myself not merely defending him, but inwardly cheering for him. I attribute this to two things:

1. Despite his repulsive public persona, he has done some really outstanding things (the Gorsuch nomination stands out as an example, but there are many others). In fact, he has done more good than harm as president, something I am perfectly confident that none of his Democrat rivals could have truthfully claimed at this point.

2. The leftist media and leftist America hate Donald Trump with the white-hot hatred of ten thousand burning suns. These same people who worship the pervert Bill Clinton and defend überperverts such as Roman Polanski nevertheless feign outrage—outrage, I say!—at Ivana Trump's report that her then-husband Donald had "raped" her. This persisted, despite Ivana's own insistence that her claim of "rape" wasn't in the, you know, legal sense or anything, but just that he had had sex with her and hadn't been as gentle or loving as in times past. Roman Polanski engaging in non-consensual sex with a thirteen-year-old? Quit your whining! Bill Clinton accused by multiple women of multiple instances of sexual harrassment and unwelcome liberties? Give the poor guy a break from these harridans! Donald Trump not being sufficiently nice when having sex with his wife? THE MONSTER!

At the risk of being reactionary, when I see leftists all hate something or someone that intensely, I begin to suspect that there must be something very good in that something or someone. Only a Satanic reaction to good brings forth that kind of bitter loathing.

And if I'm honest, I must admit that I am not entirely sure what the proper order of the above two points is.

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, Vort said:

Yet I find myself not merely defending him, but inwardly cheering for him. I attribute this to two things:

The enemy of your enemy is a friend. You hate the "liberal media". The "liberal media" hates Trump.