Church has issued a statement on Covid-19

8 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

The enemy of your enemy is a friend. You hate the "liberal media". The "liberal media" hates Trump.

Mmmmm...maybe. But there's more to it than that. The media are no fan of Kim Jong Un, and neither am I, so it's not purely reactionary.

For all his manifest (and manifold) faults, Trump has done actual good as the President. The media utterly refuse to concede any such things. They write snarky articles about how Trump is "blaming the Democrats for the coronavirus" without acknowledging that the Democrats are in fact using the coronavirus outbreak as a club to beat Trump with, and unfairly so.

This is the studied idiocy of the Democrats, proclaiming that Mike Pence is unfit to head up efforts to combat the coronavirus outbreak because he doesn't believe in organic evolution or anthropogenic global warming. And the media, instead of pointing out this stupidity and holding the Democrats accountable, choose just to join in the fun.

Edited by Vort
"Media"—singular or plural? Pick one. But only one.

12 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

The enemy of your enemy is a friend. You hate the "liberal media". The "liberal media" hates Trump.

I think they are beyond liberal.  I try to avoid using that term because leftism is not truly liberalism, despite the holdover of some ideas.

1 minute ago, MormonGator said:

True, when it comes to communist dictators you are more of a Mao guy. 

(playing)

I have a Chinese in-law, of whom I'm quite fond. But her knee-jerk defense of China and all things Chinese can be disturbing. She concedes that Mao was no saint, but oblique criticisms of his policies or their results are not well tolerated. And to criticize modern China is out of the question. When the Chinese media reported that Trump was not helping China out and was refusing requests for aid, she was outraged beyond measure, demanding that someone blow Trump's head off. When she later discovered that Trump had actually asked China early on if the US could help, offering aid and experts and such, and that China had turned him down flat, do you think she was equally outraged at the duplicitous Chinese government for lying to her? Not a bit of it. "Oh, well, I guess Trump wasn't the bad guy this time." Any further attempts by her husband to explore this issue further and to point out the lies and oppressions of the Chinese government, such as jailing the doctor who tried to warn everyone of the virus, were met by anger and language not fit for print in this forum. I gather from several other sources that this is pretty typical of Chinese behavior.

This is the bitter fruit of generations of dictatorial government. The people do not merely become comfortable in their chains, but actively defend their servile state and seek to tear down anyone who would suggest a better way. It's a tragedy of biblical proportions.

Guest MormonGator
12 minutes ago, person0 said:

I think they are beyond liberal.  I try to avoid using that term because leftism is not truly liberalism, despite the holdover of some ideas.

I tend to agree with you, in part. 

First off, the "liberal media" is irrelevant in 2020. Print media, where they thrived, is dead. Th 6:30 news, where they also thrived, is dead. 

Next, when it comes to "liberal bias" 99% of conservatives (and oh yeah, I'm a registered republican) get it wrong. There is no mass conspiracy where a group of journalists say "We're going to get those nasty republicans and we're going to further our own liberal agenda." It doesn't work that way, it never did. How it worked (past tense) was worse. Because journalists swam in Manhattan and Washington DC and Boston, they began to think "Liberal ideas aren't liberal but moderate." So it's a form of delusion. They'd consider someone who was pro-choice, anti-gun, pro gay marriage not "liberal" but "reasonable." Yes, the right does this too, but since the right didn't have power in media, no one cared. 

Again though, the right is beating a dead horse, to some degree. Mainstream media is dead. Move on. 

Edited by MormonGator

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Vort said:

I have a Chinese in-law, of whom I'm quite fond. But her knee-jerk defense of China and all things Chinese can be disturbing. She concedes that Mao was no saint, but oblique criticisms of his policies or their results are not well tolerated. And to criticize modern China is out of the question. When the Chinese media reported that Trump was not helping China out and was refusing requests for aid, she was outraged beyond measure, demanding that someone blow Trump's head off. When she later discovered that Trump had actually asked China early on if the US could help, offering aid and experts and such, and that China had turned him down flat, do you think she was equally outraged at the duplicitous Chinese government for lying to her? Not a bit of it. "Oh, well, I guess Trump wasn't the bad guy this time." Any further attempts by her husband to explore this issue further and to point out the lies and oppressions of the Chinese government, such as jailing the doctor who tried to warn everyone of the virus, were met by anger and language not fit for print in this forum. I gather from several other sources that this is pretty typical of Chinese behavior.

This is the bitter fruit of generations of dictatorial government. The people do not merely become comfortable in their chains, but actively defend their servile state and seek to tear down anyone who would suggest a better way. It's a tragedy of biblical proportions.

Check your FB messages. 

14 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

First off, the "liberal media" is irrelevant in 2020. Print media, where they thrived, is dead. Th 6:30 news, where they also thrived, is dead. 

First and foremost:

https://i.makeagif.com/media/9-14-2015/iAVhmh.mp4

That said, 24/7 nonstop headline summary culture is still alive and well.  CNN may be doing worse than the weather channel these days, but the 50+ ALL TRUMP BAD ALL DAY news sources are still consumed and believed.

(And in lesser quantities, the TRUMP GOOD LIBTARD BAD brigade is also out there pumping garbage.)

Edited by NeuroTypical

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, NeuroTypical said:

That said, 24/7 nonstop headline summary culture is still alive and well.

Agree totally. For news junkies like me though, it's paradise. 

19 hours ago, mirkwood said:

No, they are called home.

Do you think there is calamity abroad now among the people? Not much. All we have yet heard and all we have experienced is scarcely a preface to the sermon that is going to be preached. When the testimony of the Elders ceases to be given, and the Lord says to them, “Come home; I will now preach my own sermons to the nations of the earth,” all you now know can scarcely be called a preface to the sermon that will be preached with fire and sword, tempests, earthquakes, hail, rain, thunders and lightnings, and fearful destruction. What matters the destruction of a few railway cars? You will hear of magnificent cities, now idolized by the people, sinking in the earth, entombing the inhabitants. The sea will heave itself beyond its bounds, engulfing mighty cities. Famine will spread over the nations, and nation will rise up against nation, kingdom against kingdom, and states against states, in our own country and in foreign lands; and they will destroy each other, caring not for the blood and lives of their neighbors, of their families, or for their own lives.

~ Brigham Young, JD 8:30

All of this and far worse, has already happened, decades ago.

I'm confused why some of you appear to be so adamant about insisting the virus isn't a threat. It either is, or it isn't, and it doesn't ever hurt to take precautions. A lot of times, these pandemics are judged based on their potential, not entirely on current statistics.

9 minutes ago, Moonbeast32 said:

I'm confused why some of you appear to be so adamant about insisting the virus isn't a threat. It either is, or it isn't, and it doesn't ever hurt to take precautions. A lot of times, these pandemics are judged based on their potential, not entirely on current statistics.

Will the moon collide with the earth next week? Either it will or it will not, but it doesn't hurt to take precautions. Like spend $100 quadrillion to build shelters for everyone.

in fact, it can hurt to "take precautions". It can hurt very badly. It can damage economies, temporarily or sometimes perrmanently. It can affect relationships between nations. It can fuel hatreds. It can give US media another outrageous excuse to bag on the sitting President.

How much of a threat is this virus? By all reasonable, level-headed accounts, probably not all that much. Yet the outsized reactions are causing harm even as we speak. $10 for a dust mask! Dow down 3600 points in one week! Our nation gearing up to implement massive, widespread measures to protect against what for most people amounts to a cold!

There is money to be extorted, power to be garnered, and in general, lots of hay to be made during the shining sun of this latest media-manufactured "crisis". In the words of the administration of Barack Obama, "Never let a serious crisis go to waste."

Guest LiterateParakeet
1 hour ago, Moonbeast32 said:

For me, I think of how many people each year die of diseases that are preventable or at least minimized by diet....and yet too many don't take those precautions. Corona virus may or may not turn out to be a big deal....but heart disease is for sure a problem...people die from that every day.  That is a bigger concern for me (and yes I did change my lifestyle to prevent it.) 

@Vort yeah, I was making fun of the headline. Both because the way it read was amusing, and also because the way it blatantly twisted the truth.   :D

1 hour ago, Moonbeast32 said:

I think the biggest threat of this virus, unless you're in an at-risk class, will be the reaction to it.  

3 hours ago, Grunt said:

I think the biggest threat of this virus, unless you're in an at-risk class, will be the reaction to it.  

Well, I suppose that's all well and good. I still trust the church to know what they're doing.

Just now, Moonbeast32 said:

Well, I suppose that's all well and good. I still trust the church to know what they're doing.

Sorry.  That wasn't a criticism of the Church.  I'm not saying it isn't smart to take precautions against spreading or contracting it.  

Guest MormonGator
5 hours ago, Grunt said:

No, I hate dishonesty.  

That's very noble of you, but I have yet to meet anyone who says "I love dishonesty." 

Guest MormonGator
8 minutes ago, Grunt said:

People who love the mainstream news must have a particular attraction to it.

You think anyone who reads/watches mainstream news sources is dishonest?

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, Grunt said:

That wasn't the point of the discussion, nor what I said.  With your English degree, I'm pretty confident you can comprehend my statement.

You confidence is poorly placed. I'm really stupid and misunderstand things very easily.