Church has issued a statement on Covid-19

Guest MormonGator
8 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Then I shall not waste my time trying to explain the obvious.

Thank you. I bow to your vast intellect. It's something I'll never be able to attain. 

Edited by MormonGator

Guest MormonGator
10 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Maybe start with trying to be a little less snarky and underhandedly insulting.  

I'll do that the moment you grow a sense of humor and stop taking everything so seriously. So let's meet in the middle. 

Edited by MormonGator

7 hours ago, Vort said:

This is the bitter fruit of generations of dictatorial government. The people do not merely become comfortable in their chains, but actively defend their servile state and seek to tear down anyone who would suggest a better way. It's a tragedy of biblical proportions.

I had a missionary who tried to work with some Chinese individuals and he described and interesting indoctrination method  (I make no claims for truthfulness of the report)

Basically as young school kids they would be instructed to pray for a cookie...  Naturally no cookie would come.  The teachers would point that out and then instruct the kids to pray to the Chinese government for a cookie.  When they did the teacher would pass out cookies and point out that the government did what God did not so either God did not exist or did not care, but the government did exist and did care.

If that situation is even remotely true then the behavior makes sense

On 2/29/2020 at 8:51 PM, estradling75 said:

I had a missionary who tried to work with some Chinese individuals and he described and interesting indoctrination method  (I make no claims for truthfulness of the report)

Basically as young school kids they would be instructed to pray for a cookie...  Naturally no cookie would come.  The teachers would point that out and then instruct the kids to pray to the Chinese government for a cookie.  When they did the teacher would pass out cookies and point out that the government did what God did not so either God did not exist or did not care, but the government did exist and did care.

If that situation is even remotely true then the behavior makes sense

My dad was born and raised in Bulgaria (formerly communist). He remembers this happening but it was Stalin that provided the candy they prayed for.  

• 3 months later...
12 minutes ago, Scott said:

The numbers aren't looking encouraging.

I was hoping this would mostly be over by summer, but apparently not.  

106174106_10110956708245653_5655490343911475205_n.jpg.a799f757a0dfc4bc78c974baec9053ac.jpg

Depends on where you live.  If you live in a place that seriously considers using science and puts lives over money, you may already be in a good situation.

If you live in a place that half the population consider scientists to be political and science to be more a myth than scholastic and places money over the value of lives...well...it does appear that the cases are going up and that come September, who knows what may happen (perhaps herd immunity by that point?  or maybe a lot more deaths?  it's impossible to say from my viewpoint currently).

47 minutes ago, Scott said:

106174106_10110956708245653_5655490343911475205_n.jpg.a799f757a0dfc4bc78c974baec9053ac.jpg

With measurement processes having drastically changed between April and June, especially in the availability of testing, I wouldn't look at that graph to base my concerns on.  Rather, I would base my concerns on the Case Mortality Rate - because, that's the significant number that's not affected by measurement changes in infection rates.

See here:

image.thumb.png.0c6095501b8e676ff17f4f0c706a1d80.png

Edited by anatess2

Guest Scott
1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

With measurement processes having drastically changed between April and June, especially in the availability of testing, I wouldn't look at that graph to base my concerns on.  Rather, I would base my concerns on the Case Mortality Rate - because, that's the significant number that's not affected by measurement changes in infection rates.

See here:

I'm sure you are correct, but my point is that this thing isn't even close to being over yet.  

Anyway, where I live (Grand Junction Colorado) we have had relatively few cases. 

My parent’s ward in West Valley City  Utah hasn’t been so lucky. They have had five deaths in the ward and several other non-fatal cases.  In addition, the earthquake knocked the steeple down and it fell into the church and the building got condemned.  Their ward is having a tough time lately! 

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

See here:

Agreed, with so many variables at play it's impossible to get an accurate number of cases. Whereas deaths seems like a more reliable data point to track both in terms of quantity and severity.

Edited by laronius

13 hours ago, Scott said:

I'm sure you are correct, but my point is that this thing isn't even close to being over yet.    

It's a virus.  It's not going away.  I don't know what the metrics is for "being over".  But if the metrics is "zero infections", you're never gonna get there.  If "being over" is achieving herd immunity, social distancing is not how you do it.

What I'm really more concerned about is everybody putting all their eggs in the basket of a vaccine.  That gives waaaaay too much power on the hands of that one person/organization/entity to dictate the direction of the entire planet.

13 hours ago, Scott said:

Anyway, where I live (Grand Junction Colorado) we have had relatively few cases. 

My parent’s ward in West Valley City  Utah hasn’t been so lucky. They have had five deaths in the ward and several other non-fatal cases.  In addition, the earthquake knocked the steeple down and it fell into the church and the building got condemned.  Their ward is having a tough time lately! 

That's very unfortunate.  Times like these we need to cling to the promise of Christ of eternal life.

18 hours ago, Scott said:

It would be interesting to be able to overlay this, on the same time scale, with some kind of graph that tracks the sizes and dates of the protests over the George Floyd killing.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

13 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

It would be interesting to be able to overlay this, on the same time scale, with some kind of graph that tracks the sizes and dates of the protests over the George Floyd killing.

George Floyd died on day 70 of that graph (near the low point of the graph).  Protests began slowly two days later.  The massive riots and things happened by day 75.  Two weeks of incubation would take us to day 89.  And that is right where the graph stops being flat and starts rising.

DISCLAIMER: I don't know if there is a direct cause-effect relationship there.  But I answered your question.  And it does seem interesting.

Edited by Carborendum

8 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

George Floyd died on day 70 of that graph (near the low point of the graph).  Protests began slowly two days later.  The massive riots and things happened by day 75.  Two weeks of incubation would take us to day 89.  And that is right where the graph stops being flat and starts rising.

DISCLAIMER: I don't know if there is a direct cause-effect relationship there.  But I answered your question.  And it does seem interesting.

Very well.  For the sake of obnoxious and sheer trollery, I shall hereafter refer to the rising COVID rates as the “BLM Bump”.

There are maskless people on both sides of the political fence.  The left has maskless protesters and rioters, and the right has maskless partygoers and shoppers and freedom yellers.

This isn't a political thing, this is just a random mixture of dumb/stupid/misinformed, with a little bad and perhaps a fraction of evil.  On both sides.  

Humans, man.  (shakes head sadly)

What constitutes "evidence" is beyond my pay grade.  That said, I think about the studies about how superspreaders operate indoors (thinking specifically about the study of the office building, and the choir practice).  Churches are starting to open back up, we'll see how many end up in the news where there's a spread where people are wearing masks.  I'm hopeful we won't see any.  I am expecting to see more stories of maskless podium or choirs infecting people.  

1 minute ago, NeuroTypical said:

What constitutes "evidence" is beyond my pay grade.  That said, I think about the studies about how superspreaders operate indoors (thinking specifically about the study of the office building, and the choir practice).  Churches are starting to open back up, we'll see how many end up in the news where there's a spread where people are wearing masks.  I'm hopeful we won't see any.  I am expecting to see more stories of maskless podium or choirs infecting people.  

. . . And the resultant lawsuits . . .

1 minute ago, Just_A_Guy said:

. . . And the resultant lawsuits . . .

Oof. 

The worst part is wondering how this might spread to other illnesses. Perhaps even the common cold, and how Mr. Fred spread his germs to Mr. Joe causing him to miss work for 3 days and now wants recompense. 

I believe the dynamics of the (past) status quo might be susceptible to change after recent events and seeing how these have detrimentally affected the nations.