Married Student Ward or Family Ward?

alice_in_wonderland

My husband and I are currently in a married student ward, but we have both been graduated for about a year now and are beginning to feel out of place. Most of the other couples in our ward are still in school and just move elsewhere once they graduate, but we don't plan on moving for another year or two, so we are having troubles connecting and making friends with the new student couples.

Would a family ward be better for us, or would we just feel out of place there, too, because we don't have any kids and it would be filled with older families and couples?

I don't really know much about being in a family ward as a young married couple and what the experience would be like, but I feel like going to try out a family ward for a Sunday or two would be frowned upon...

Experiences and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

I was single when I left the Singles Ward, because I found church to be too unnerving without wiggling children involved.  

So I went to the local family ward.  I was 100% welcomed, and everyone laughed at my reasoning.  I made friends with the young families, the older empty nesters, and the always single folks there.  Despite the fact that I was technically a early 20's single person, I felt much more connect there than I ever did in the Single Wards.

And then I moved cities, and had an equally welcomed experience in that family ward.  And in the third city I lived in as well.  

I got married while still in college.  But where we lived, we didn't have a married student ward.  We went straight to a regular family ward.  It took some adjusting, trying to find where and how we could fit in.  We did make some good friends, and I think we got to experience being Scout leaders, YW/YM leaders, and being in primary before we had kids.  I think that was very helpful for us.

I don't think anyone would frown upon trying out a ward for a week or two.  

I am curious if you've talked to your leaders about it.  I have no experience with married student wards, but if you're not students anymore, I'd imagine they would want you to 'graduate' to a family ward.  

I have lived and served in both. I have nothing against married student wards as they are beneficial to many, but the both of you will likely grow much more in a traditional ward. The various types of service opportunities are far greater, you will likely learn more as there are more experienced members in family wards with different points of view than just young couples. The fact that you are now thinking about this shows you are ready for a traditional ward. It is also easier to make lasting friendships and connections when your ward isn't so transient like student wards. Even if you only stay there for a year or two, you will learn many things that will benefit you when you finally put down permanent roots somewhere.