Comical manufactured outrage at BYU

Vort

14 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Didn't BYU recently allow same sex ballroom dancing or something? 

BYU did not allow their own ballroom students to have same-sex partnering. Students who belonged to other schools were not inhibited from what the other schools appear to already allow. I am sure you can see the difference.

Edited by Anddenex

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, Anddenex said:

BYU did not allow their own ballroom students to have same-sex partnering. Students who belonged to other schools were not inhibited from what the other schools appear to already allow. I am sure you can see the difference.

Interesting. Was there an outcry over it? 

Like I said, I wasn't clear what they did-that's why I asked instead of declaring it. 

1 minute ago, MormonGator said:

Interesting. Was there an outcry over it? 

Like I said, I wasn't clear what they did-that's why I asked instead of declaring it. 

Did conservatives (you know the opposite side that people say are filled with hate not love) take to the BYU campus and start waving flags in protest? No, not that I remember, but maybe someone else could provide more detail. People, like on here surely had their opinions about it.

23 minutes ago, carlimac said:

I couldn’t understand what he was saying through his megaphone. Anyone else understand it?

Sounded like Miss Othmar, the teacher from Peanuts, "Wah Wah Wah".

Honestly, I couldn't understand him either, but hey the other protestors understood him well enough to know he wasn't on their side. 

Edited by NeedleinA

Guest MormonGator
2 hours ago, Anddenex said:

Did conservatives (you know the opposite side that people say are filled with hate not love) take to the BYU campus and start waving flags in protest? No, not that I remember, but maybe someone else could provide more detail. People, like on here surely had their opinions about it.

I think what could happen in the future is that a football/basketball/baseball/volleyball team will refuse to play BYU because of the honor code teaching on sexuality. They'll equate it to teams refusing to play schools that didn't have minorities on them in the 1960's. To be clear I'm not saying I agree with that, but I think that is what will eventually happen. 

Edited by MormonGator

22 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I think what could happen in the future is that a football/basketball/baseball/volleyball team will refuse to play BYU because of the honor code teaching on sexuality. They'll equate it to teams refusing to play schools that didn't have minorities on them in the 1960's. To be clear I'm not saying I agree with that, but I think that is what will eventually happen. 

Yea I could see that happening down the road.

Guest MormonGator
8 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

Keep it up with the multiple postings and I am going to have to punish you like we do @MormonGator

Could you punish me by giving me the silent treatment? Please? PLEASE? I'm begging here. 

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, mirkwood said:

I can too. It'll be interesting to see how BYU responds when that day comes. 

2 hours ago, mirkwood said:

I think it’ll happen sooner than we expect.  But it won’t really get any media exposure except as pertaining to the football team, and BYU’s football program has long needed to be put out of its misery anyways.  
Frankly, if BYU completely disbanded its entire athletic program I wouldn’t shed any tears.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Guest Scott
5 hours ago, Anddenex said:

You might have to wait for General Conference for that. There will be a bunch of conservative protesters (mostly), but some gay rights ones mixed in there too.

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Frankly, if BYU completely disbanded its entire athletic program I wouldn’t shed any tears

Why? Just curious. 

40 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Why? Just curious. 

—I’ve never been one for athletics anyways.

—The athletic program has often led to the admission of students who were otherwise unprepared to adhere to the university’s academic and behavioral expectations; and whose problems and antics often create distractions for the rest of the student body.  

—Not really a fan of the sanctimony of various BYU athletes who pretend that their scholarships, dining deals, and university--funded special tutors actually constitute a *sacrifice* on their part and that their public profile equates with a unique form of “missionary work” (even as they routinely shunt off the sort of everyday church commitments that they think should be relegated to us little people and sneer at honest-to-gosh missionary work).

—As an undergrad/student employee I saw how underfunded some of the academic departments were, with professors struggling to support their families and working in cramped mold-infested 1940s-era facilities, whilst the athletic programs and those involved in them were flush with cash and seemed to get the best of everything and drove around in luxury vehicles (and, reputedly, tried to bamboozle the Church into building them a “practice facility” with all the amenities of a five-star resort and which the First Presidency itself reputedly had to step in to nix).

At the time I was a student, I shrugged all that off; figuring that the athletic programs were probably financially self-supporting via ticket sales and whatnot.  But since then there have been some news stories suggesting that BYU’s athletics are in fact a net money drain.  

For all the crap BYU students have to put up with in order to sustain the athletics programs—they’d better win.  A lot.

And most of them just don’t.

I’d love to buy the whole BYU athletic department for what they were worth, and sell them for what they thought they were worth.  

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Guest MormonGator
6 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

PREACH IT!!!

I’ll never attend or watch another game. 

I’m also throwing away my Megadeth t-shirts.