"Daisy, Daisy...

Jamie123

...give me your ansa-doo!"

I always associate that song with two things:

• A very rude version of the chorus which some kids used to sing when I was at school. (I don't know...some people!)
  • The scene in 2001 A Space Odyssey where, after the spaceship's computer HAL-9000 goes on a killing spree, the one surviving astronaut disconnects its circuits one by one, causing it to lose gradually its cognitive capacity. At the end, all it can remember is this song, taught to it by its first programmer. (Which incidentally was the first song sung by a computer using speech synthesis.)

Did you know that that song has verses to it as well as the chorus? Check it out: 

I only found that out today!

Some of the oldest computer files I own, are HAL .wavs from the mid '90's.  I made them myself with my own tape recorder pointed at a tv showing a VCR tape of 2001:A Space Odessy.  Windows had just barely made it possible to have filenames longer than seven characters - I was in heaven, because I could finally name my .wav files appropriately.

image.png.3f9ccfd064aebe10b7dcdfa7168ccf91.png

Back when assigning custom sounds in Windows was a thing, whenever I misclicked, my computer would say "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."  It was the height of nerd cool.

Edited by NeuroTypical

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

Some of the oldest computer files I own, are HAL .wavs from the mid '90's.  I made them myself with my own tape recorder pointed at a tv showing a VCR tape of 2001:A Space Odessy.  Windows had just barely made it possible to have filenames longer than seven characters - I was in heaven, because I could finally name my .wav files appropriately.

image.png.3f9ccfd064aebe10b7dcdfa7168ccf91.png

Back when assigning custom sounds in Windows was a thing, whenever I misclicked, my computer would say "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."  It was the height of nerd cool.

I did this too. lol

♪ There'll never be any marriage if you can't afford a carriage
And I'll be switched if I'll get hitched* on a bicycle built for two. ♫

*Bowdlerized from something that rhymes with "...if I'll be crammed..."