The COVID thread

Emmanuel Goldstein

Well...

Sam's Club is full today with lines of people everywhere. Sanitizing products, etc. all gone.  THE BIG surprise is that all the TOILET paper is gone, from multiple stores.
Spoke with a trauma nurse today too. She said people are going to the hospitals asking for and taking face masks.

We have at least a segment of the population doing some panic buying/swiping. If it is not in your area yet, well... just a matter of time I suspect.

1 hour ago, NeedleinA said:

Well...

Sam's Club is full today with lines of people everywhere. Sanitizing products, etc. all gone.  THE BIG surprise is that all the TOILET paper is gone, from multiple stores.
Spoke with a trauma nurse today too. She said people are going to the hospitals asking for and taking face masks.

We have at least a segment of the population doing some panic buying/swiping. If it is not in your area yet, well... just a matter of time I suspect.

I don't understand the thinking.  When we have hurricane incoming in Florida, the first things to go is water and bread.  Nobody empties out the hand soaps and sanitizers nor toilet paper.  Hurricane is the same as quarantine - you end up stuck at home for 2 weeks no stores.  So... why are hand soaps and toilet papers flying off shelves now and not during hurricane season?  I don't get it.

Panic buying.   Folks hear nonstop virus plague news, complete with overhighlighted death tolls and travel disruptions.  They go buy anything that says "antibacterial" or "antiviral" on it. 

People owning more soap TP than usual, can only work to my personal benefit.  So I'm ok with it.  Ya bunch of smelly humans. :)

Edited by NeuroTypical

We skipped the grocery stores and went to Lowe's for the toilet paper instead.
While they did have some toilet paper, there was an employee guarding it and rationing it out between customers.

Toilet paper????
Remember the good ol' days of cloth diapers... I think I have my new Shark Tank idea.

33 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

We skipped the grocery stores and went to Lowe's for the toilet paper instead.
While they did have some toilet paper, there was an employee guarding it and rationing it out between customers.

Toilet paper????
Remember the good ol' days of cloth diapers... I think I have my new Shark Tank idea.

This is what you need. 

71yD4RSesbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Or this if you want to take it with you places:

b3d112a81f20535547c21d1fdf8444dc_origina

We just bought $400 of clothes diapers and reusable wipes(decision was unrelated to the  Coronavirus). With it we bought a hose that hooks to the toilet that can double as a bidet.

no TP needed here!

Maybe this is just foolish thinking, but I fully intend to get the Coronavirus along with my whole family, have a nasty cold for a week, and get back to life as usual. While the world burns from street riots, my family and I will just be as blissful as can be.

Guest MormonGator
2 hours ago, Fether said:

While the world burns from street riots, my family and I will just be as blissful as can be.

That's beautiful bro. Just walk your walk. 

We're going about our daily lives as well. We fully expect to get it too, given that we go to Disney so much. There is also a TKD tournament coming up, and people will be flying in from South Korea. So, we've accepted our fate. 

We are being  careful about visiting elderly relatives though. If we show any symptoms, we stay home. 

Edited by MormonGator

16 hours ago, MormonGator said:

There is also a TKD tournament coming up, and people will be flying in from South Korea. So, we've accepted our fate. 

If you get sick, overnight ship me a used water bottle so I can just get it over with.

So, my company (large company with Southeast Asia offices) just banned all travel and stated that there was to be no face-to-face meetings--we are to conduct meetings via web. Interestingly enough, they are not banning visitors to one of our major offices (in KC, MO). But, they are requiring those visitors to complete a questionnaire.

Anyway, as a result of the no meetings ban, our local work from home contingency (there are 6 of us total here) had to cancel our quarterly lunch. There are 3 of the 6 who live near each other--we decided to go to lunch together during the time we already carved out of our schedules for the previous quarterly lunch. It's not a "work" lunch...just 3 friends who work together going out for lunch. 

15 hours ago, beefche said:

So, my company (large company with Southeast Asia offices) just banned all travel and stated that there was to be no face-to-face meetings--we are to conduct meetings via web. Interestingly enough, they are not banning visitors to one of our major offices (in KC, MO). But, they are requiring those visitors to complete a questionnaire.

Anyway, as a result of the no meetings ban, our local work from home contingency (there are 6 of us total here) had to cancel our quarterly lunch. There are 3 of the 6 who live near each other--we decided to go to lunch together during the time we already carved out of our schedules for the previous quarterly lunch. It's not a "work" lunch...just 3 friends who work together going out for lunch. 

I've been watching for airlines to bottom-line their ticket prices to SE Asia so I can snag a few!

32 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

I'll be driving across two states in a few weeks.  My movie prep list:

I am Legend
Train to Busan
Zombieland/Zombieland 2
All the Resident Evil films
Dawn of the Dead (and all the others)
Shawn of the Dead
World War Z
28 Days Later/28 Weeks Later
REC/REC 2
Doom
Pet Sematary

Don’t forget the movie “Zombies”

Guest Scott
46 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

I've been watching for airlines to bottom-line their ticket prices to SE Asia so I can snag a few!

It is already happening, but to more than SE Asia.

Usually it's hard to use discount miles to go to Hawaii for example.  This is especiall true if you fly out of a small airport instead of a main one and fly somewhere other than Honolulu. You have to try 330 days in advance and try and find a date that works.  In the last few weeks, almost most days have opened up for March and April.

This is Grand Junction to Maui.   I have never seen the calendar so open before.

image.thumb.png.0b83a5afe6132dbd937c6af0c804aa67.png

And for you (I'm not sure what airport you fly out of), Fort Lauderdale to Manila is currently running $540-$620 round trip.   

16 minutes ago, Scott said:

It is already happening, but to more than SE Asia.

Usually it's hard to use discount miles to go to Hawaii for example.  This is especiall true if you fly out of a small airport instead of a main one and fly somewhere other than Honolulu. You have to try 330 days in advance and try and find a date that works.  In the last few weeks, almost most days have opened up for March and April.

This is Grand Junction to Maui.   I have never seen the calendar so open before.

image.thumb.png.0b83a5afe6132dbd937c6af0c804aa67.png

And for you (I'm not sure what airport you fly out of), Fort Lauderdale to Manila is currently running $540-$620 round trip.   

That's regular for the pre-June season... they haven't brought down the summer and winter rates.  That's what I'm gunning for.

Guest LiterateParakeet

The Seattle Temple is closed for the rest of the month. Thank goodness I went yesterday. It barely reopened from the yearly two week shut down. :(

Guest Scott

Other people are stocking up on hand santizer and toilet paper.  For me it's Snickers bars.  Of course I will only eat them in an emergency.  After this one that is.  Well, I am really hungry.  I guess eating one can help me be prepared for an emergency.  Will any emergency happen tomorrow?   Maybe I had better check the stash just one more time.  

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured and locked this topic