The COVID thread

Emmanuel Goldstein

Guest Godless
On 3/6/2020 at 9:55 PM, mirkwood said:

I knew Ozzy canceled his appearance.  Now the whole thing is canceled?

Yep. Several other performers and companies had already backed out as well. There are a lot of businesses in Austin that rely on SXSW to keep them profitable for the year. This could be devastating for them.

https://www.statesman.com/business/20200306/sxsw-canceled-over-coronavirus-fears

Edited by Godless

I've heard rumors now that the mortality rate in the US today has passed 4-5% and is thus currently the highest in the Western World.  Part of this thought is that the US is not really testing well.  They have turned away many who thought they were sick but have been unable to be tested due to lack of facilities and resources.  The Elderly are the ones that are being prioritized in testing.  As such, as well as because the biggest outbreak was in a Nursing Home which didn't deal with it as quickly as they could, the number of deaths has risen higher currently in the US (as the mortality rate is only among those who are confirmed cases), or that is the hypothesis I've heard.

It could be even seen as higher, but estimates are around 4-5%

US COVID-19 cases surge to 260 and deaths reach 16

(yes, I'm not that bad at math, I know that actually means it would actually be around a 6% mortality, the other sources say it's around 4-5% that I've read, but this article had some more solid numbers that I found, but it's old and from yesterday).  4000 are currently on quarantine in New York.

In addition, they have cases coming from other nations of those who have COVID-19 that vacationed in the US indicating that the US has COVID-19 running in the wild among the untested population.

Older News but a study done that showed the mortality out of China was probably less than the 3% in China at the time by the University of Minnisota showed around a 2.3% mortality rate.

Study of 72K COVID-19 shows 2.3%

Worldwide this is not agreed upon by the WHO which is now saying there are 100K cases worldwide and rising and has a 3.4% mortality rate.

Not sure if this link will work or not, it's on the livescience website with live updates

coronavirus-updates

Fancy World Dashboard from Johns Hopkins University that looks like something from a Michael Bay movie:
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html?fbclid=IwAR2_5Dlo-pVrBI6-92r4K5wjbmVV4tfHRe4AHQGfLzkdaTHh5I2uJpqG0Pg#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Data and chart-intensive website:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

CDC confirmed US cases:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html

Interview with a guy who caught, and recovered from, the issues caused by the virus. Your symptoms may vary.

I hope to gather more "Here's my story" anecdotes from people who actually have caught this thing.

2 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Fancy World Dashboard from Johns Hopkins University that looks like something from a Michael Bay movie:
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html?fbclid=IwAR2_5Dlo-pVrBI6-92r4K5wjbmVV4tfHRe4AHQGfLzkdaTHh5I2uJpqG0Pg#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Oh good, Europe thinks only 4 1/3 people have died from it.

Apparently people my age are supposed to isolate themselves (older individuals suggested to not go out as much).  I don't think I'm going to be able to do that easily.  My stocks have lost tens of thousands over the past little while (literally lost a ton of money in the stock market...retirement that I did have is lower now) from what I can tell.  I still have work (with students of all things, teaching classes as the university has not cancelled them yet for our area).  Of course there are also church meetings (primary areas of transmission seem to be schools, nursing homes, and of course, included in that are churches), and various other activities.

I wonder how this will impact my typical research trips I take during the late spring and summer months.

36 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

literally lost a ton of money in the stock market

A dollar bill weighs a gram, so a literal ton of money would be 1000 kg = 1,000,000 grams = $1 million. If you're using larger denominations, this could be a lot more.

If you are using pennies, which can weigh as much as 3.11 g each, then your losses might be no more than 1,000,000*$0.01/3.11 = $3,215.43—assuming you're using a metric ton. If you meant a regular short ton, your losses might even be below $3000.

Here's to hoping you were measuring in pennyweight.

3 hours ago, Vort said:

A dollar bill weighs a gram, so a literal ton of money would be 1000 kg = 1,000,000 grams = $1 million. If you're using larger denominations, this could be a lot more.

If you are using pennies, which can weigh as much as 3.11 g each, then your losses might be no more than 1,000,000*$0.01/3.11 = $3,215.43—assuming you're using a metric ton. If you meant a regular short ton, your losses might even be below $3000.

Here's to hoping you were measuring in pennyweight.

Given that stock market exchanges are not  typically done with Penny nor Dollar, but with the transfer of data. The way of the currency is of no consequence, instead we should be looking at the weight of the hard drive holding the data that is tracking the currency. 

According to @JohnsonJones, he lost the equivalent to the amount of currency that can be stored in 1 metric ton of hard drives.

That, or the amount of data that one metric ton of Internet equipment can stored in the cloud

General Conference is going to be broadcast only - no attending in person.  Gives new meaning to home-based, church-supported religion! 

30 day travel ban from Europe to the US.  Some hefty legislation being asked for, like payroll tax suspension and pumping 50 billion into easy loans for impacted businesses.

Some countries are starting to restrict travel between in-country districts, it's feasible to think this might perhaps be coming to a state near you in the next week or two. 

Schools and universities going online only, planning to not return after spring break, etc.

"Social distancing" is the new black, especially for the elderly and those with serious medical conditions. 

In my neck of the woods, CO declared a state of emergency, parades and gatherings and sports events being cancelled.  And my place of employment is urging anyone who can work at home, to do so, they even suggested I take my work chair with me.

The US is going full out in efforts to keep this stuff from spreading.  If successful, it'll be the most expensive non-event of the century.  We can spend the election, and the next decade, arguing about whether it was necessary or not.  

Fun times!

Guest Godless

Tom Hanks has tested positive and is being quarantined in Australia. A staffer on Capitol Hill has also tested positive. By my count, there are at least three people who have tested positive that have had recent interaction with Trump. 

Also, my son and I had Spurs/T-Wolves tickets for the 26th. 😢

We had a Sunday School presidency this evening.  Most of the discussion revolved around making technical arrangements for doing classes via teleconferencing, should the need arise; and looking into ways to train teachers to use the tech in a pedagogically effective way.  

24 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

pumping 50 billion into easy loans for impacted businesses.

For a tenth that price, we could develop a sure-fire technology that would make us completely energy-independent forever. SMH.

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured and locked this topic