The COVID thread

Emmanuel Goldstein

22 hours ago, mirkwood said:

I know the ones, but I'm heading to bed.  I'll post them tomorrow.  BTW, all the missionaries have to be called home to fulfill that one.

This could be one of those situations where semantics become more important than usual. If "home" is understood to mean home country, rather than place of dwelling, then I'd say an awful lot of missionaries are being called home. In time, as in, a matter of months, it might very well rise from lots to all. But then again, perhaps this part of the prophecy was already fulfilled with World War 2 when I think all missionaries were called home. The other descriptions of death and destruction in this prophecy might also have been fulfilled throught that war. 

Guest MormonGator
8 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Oh good, this is sure a relief.

091ABB9C-4F88-4AC7-A65F-5DE02450D25E.jpeg

Liquor stores remaining open is actually a good thing. The LAST thing we need is to fill up hospitals with people going through withdrawals. Not being funny, being serious. 

I begrudgingly accept your reasoning, and accept the additional covid spread burden that will come from needing to care for our addicted communities by keeping them self-medicated so they can stay home.

I don't have to be happy about it, but I do have to accept it.

Edited by NeuroTypical

11 hours ago, Scott said:

Facts on the ground:  Parents received flight information on SATURDAY AFTERNOON from their Stake Presidents.  The Church directive on airport protocol was not sent via email to parents (like they did for quarantine procedures).  I didn't even know about it until AFTER the planes have landed in SLC on SUNDAY AFTERNOON.  It is very possible, if not unavoidable, that some parents did not receive the directive.

Other parents - if they are like me - will take their entire family to meet the missionary, directive or not, as they plan on going on quarantine with their missionary (we all don't have houses with separate apartments for our missionaries ya know).  Social distancing from other families who are also planning to quarantine with their missionary would be unnecessary - if they met their missionary at the airport, they probably plan to quarantine because we DID receive the quarantine instructions via standard missionary communication route.

So yeah.  These missionaries and their families have been through CRAZY emotional upheaval for a week with all the things that their missionaries have been through and the lack of communication (information was changing every second!) about details of the events, just social media rumors about what's going on that were conflicting as things changed rapidly.   Mitt Romney can peacock about being disappointed all he wants.  Politicians gonna politik and I'm starting to really hate that guy.

Edited by anatess2

Guest Scott
29 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Facts on the ground:  Parents received flight information on SATURDAY AFTERNOON from their Stake Presidents.  The Church directive on airport protocol was not sent via email to parents (like they did for quarantine procedures). 

Church directive or not, it is still not a good idea to do this.   You won't be able to change my mind on this.

28 minutes ago, Scott said:

Church directive or not, it is still not a good idea to do this.   You won't be able to change my mind on this.

Sure.  That's your decision.  Judging others for theirs is silly.  You have a family in a roller coaster ride for a week, they have missionaries devastated to be released early and all in a quickness, families struggling to balance a homecoming with a pandemic... a good idea changes colors I guarantee you especially when you're juggling a virus, mental health, and emotional trauma.

Edited by anatess2

15 hours ago, askandanswer said:

This could be one of those situations where semantics become more important than usual. If "home" is understood to mean home country, rather than place of dwelling, then I'd say an awful lot of missionaries are being called home. In time, as in, a matter of months, it might very well rise from lots to all. But then again, perhaps this part of the prophecy was already fulfilled with World War 2 when I think all missionaries were called home. The other descriptions of death and destruction in this prophecy might also have been fulfilled throught that war. 

I can see your point (others have made it before) but I am not persuaded that is the correct interpretation.

Guest MormonGator
8 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

I begrudgingly accept your reasoning, and accept the additional covid spread burden that will come from needing to care for our addicted communities by keeping them self-medicated so they can stay home.

I don't have to be happy about it, but I do have to accept it.

For the record, I get no joy saying it-but it's the least worst choice as of right now. 

How many people attend a funeral or a wedding where you live? As of today, in Australia, 5 people can attend a wedding - the celebrant, the couple being married and two witnesses - and ten people can attend a funeral (not counting the person being buried.)

Guest LiterateParakeet
4 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

How many people attend a funeral or a wedding where you live? As of today, in Australia, 5 people can attend a wedding - the celebrant, the couple being married and two witnesses - and ten people can attend a funeral (not counting the person being buried.)

I'm in Washington state.  We just started a "stay at home" order.  So for two weeks, I would guess that means no weddings or funerals.  

10 hours ago, askandanswer said:

I had an uncle pass away Monday in California.  (Nothing COVID-19 related) Two of his children were taking turns staying with him at the hospital.  They aren't going to have a funeral.  The mortuary will handle the burial.  For now, they are planning a memorial service sometime in the late summer.

Edited by dprh

10 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

I'm in Washington state.  We just started a "stay at home" order.  So for two weeks, I would guess that means no weddings or funerals.  

It is currently illegal to die in the state of Washington. Those who do so may expect Governor Inslee to come down very hard on them.

Ya know what happens 9 months after every end-of-the-dang-world thing we go through?  Babies.  Lots and lots of babies.

If my kids were in this situation, I'd be suggesting they get a tiny wedding with the bishop and maybe the parents.  Do temple and reception later.  Because nothing can stand up against a youthful sex drive coupled with a human survival instinct.  They'll adultery themselves into trouble.

55 minutes ago, dprh said:

I had an uncle pass away Monday in California.  (Nothing COVID-19 related) Two of his children were taking turns staying with him at the hospital.  They aren't going to have a funeral.  The mortuary will handle the burial.  For now, they are planning a memorial service sometime in the late summer.

My neighbor is doing the same.  But, they used "Celebration of Life" instead of "Memorial Service".  I like it.

34 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Ya know what happens 9 months after every end-of-the-dang-world thing we go through?  Babies.  Lots and lots of babies.

If my kids were in this situation, I'd be suggesting they get a tiny wedding with the bishop and maybe the parents.  Do temple and reception later.  Because nothing can stand up against a youthful sex drive coupled with a human survival instinct.  They'll adultery themselves into trouble.

That generation will be called the Coronials.

Guest Godless
On 3/24/2020 at 7:37 AM, MormonGator said:

Liquor stores remaining open is actually a good thing. The LAST thing we need is to fill up hospitals with people going through withdrawals. Not being funny, being serious. 

Depends on the state. Many states allow beer and wine to be sold in grocery stores and gas stations. A few states allow liquor sales at those places as well. Colorado allows beer sales in grocery stores, but not wine or liquor. Texas allows beer and wine grocery sales, but not liquor. IMO, liquor stores shouldn't be deemed essential in those states. Get your fix without the hard stuff if you didn't stock up. 

12 hours ago, Scott said:

Between dumb stuff like this and reports that many people may have contracted the virus during Mardi Gras, I have a feeling Louisiana is going to be hit bad.

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured and locked this topic