Emmanuel Goldstein

The COVID thread

Recommended Posts

Having more time than normal for this time of the year I decided this morning to go out and get some groceries and supplies.  We are starting to get lower on Toilet Paper so I took a gander down that row and found...no toilet paper.  Perhaps I should have gone on a hoarding spree like others did.  We have a enough probably for another week or two...then...it could get interesting.  (edit: we had what I thought was a decent amount, but I didn't expect the lack of toilet paper to go on this long.  As I said, we still have a pack left so it should last us at least a week or two, depending on how much my wife uses so no worries yet.  However, if it goes longer than two weeks...might be able to stretch it a month...well...).  Maybe go the way I've seen it done in other nations (I'll attach a small hose to the sink or another water source for washing certain areas and such) if we continue to not be able to find Toilet paper.

It strikes me on whether this is a fake crisis for Toilet Paper or a real one.  I think it's one created out of panic more than necessary need or otherwise (though at this point, the moment I see a pack, I'm grabbing it...guess I'd be adding to the TP crisis).

Other than that, got everything needed at the store.  There weren't any other shortages in our area that affect us.  I got home and decided to make Banana Pudding. 

I have three things of that GermX stuff that people say is running out, and other things.

The great irony...we currently have a decent amount of food in our food storage but I'd never have imagined that we would have needed to stock up on things like Toilet paper as well in food storage.  Makes sense I suppose in retrospect, but didn't even occur to me for the past few decades.

Edited by JohnsonJones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnsonJones said:

Having more time than normal for this time of the year I decided this morning to go out and get some groceries and supplies.  We are starting to get lower on Toilet Paper so I took a gander down that row and found...no toilet paper.  Perhaps I should have gone on a hoarding spree like others did.  We have a enough probably for another week or two...then...it could get interesting.  (edit: we had what I thought was a decent amount, but I didn't expect the lack of toilet paper to go on this long.  As I said, we still have a pack left so it should last us at least a week or two, depending on how much my wife uses so no worries yet.  However, if it goes longer than two weeks...might be able to stretch it a month...well...).  Maybe go the way I've seen it done in other nations (I'll attach a small hose to the sink or another water source for washing certain areas and such) if we continue to not be able to find Toilet paper.

It strikes me on whether this is a fake crisis for Toilet Paper or a real one.  I think it's one created out of panic more than necessary need or otherwise (though at this point, the moment I see a pack, I'm grabbing it...guess I'd be adding to the TP crisis).

Other than that, got everything needed at the store.  There weren't any other shortages in our area that affect us.  I got home and decided to make Banana Pudding. 

I have three things of that GermX stuff that people say is running out, and other things.

The great irony...we currently have a decent amount of food in our food storage but I'd never have imagined that we would have needed to stock up on things like Toilet paper as well in food storage.  Makes sense I suppose in retrospect, but didn't even occur to me for the past few decades.

Save the trees.  Don't bother with the hose from the sink.  You can get this from Amazon with free 2-day delivery with Prime.  

71yD4RSesbL._AC_SX355_.jpg

Or you can do what hikers do:

51-Smdp8uYL._AC_UL320_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went last Saturday to our local LDS Food Storage Center, got about 15 cases of stuff. Thought I would go back today to get the rest of what I actually needed.

"CLOSED until further notice" sign on the door.

Nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

"CLOSED until further notice" sign on the door.

Yeah, I am less concerned about the virus and more concerned about the widespread panic and societies reaction in terms of food.  Our grocery stores are mostly empty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest LiterateParakeet
3 hours ago, NeedleinA said:

Went last Saturday to our local LDS Food Storage Center, got about 15 cases of stuff. Thought I would go back today to get the rest of what I actually needed.

"CLOSED until further notice" sign on the door.

Nice.

Ours is asking for volunteers so the aenior missionaries can quarantine, and they can still serve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest MormonGator

I was going over my comic collection today-look what I found. 

Spider-Man has to face a villain who infects people with a deadly fever. Her name? Corona. 

90135919_10157711893497561_958214243188998144_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm too lazy/busy/insufficiently motivated to do the research, but does feel inclined to take an informed guess as to how many prophecies covid 19 fulfills? I seem to recall their being prophecies about the temples being closed and missionaries being called home. There may be others.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Scott
3 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

I'm too lazy/busy/insufficiently motivated to do the research, but does feel inclined to take an informed guess as to how many prophecies covid 19 fulfills? I seem to recall their being prophecies about the temples being closed and missionaries being called home. There may be others.........

Which prophesy is this?

This is contrary to all of prophesies I am aware of.   Most say that missionary work will be spread throughout the world.

There is a prophesy about two prophets who will be killed in Jerusalem, but I don't know any about the temples being closed and missionaries called home.   

I don't mean to say that those prophesies don't exist, but I'm not familiar with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Scott

One of my friend's living in downtown New York City shared these photos (I'm not sure if he was the one who took them though):

file.php?id=29724

xsCOVID-DSC_2399.jpg

xsCOVID-DSC_2389.jpg

He says it's completely quiet other than the occasional subway car.  

Edited by Scott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Scott said:

Which prophesy is this?

This is contrary to all of prophesies I am aware of.   Most say that missionary work will be spread throughout the world.

There is a prophesy about two prophets who will be killed in Jerusalem, but I don't know any about the temples being closed and missionaries called home.   

I don't mean to say that those prophesies don't exist, but I'm not familiar with them.

I know the ones, but I'm heading to bed.  I'll post them tomorrow.  BTW, all the missionaries have to be called home to fulfill that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scott said:

Which prophesy is this?

This is contrary to all of prophesies I am aware of.   Most say that missionary work will be spread throughout the world.

There is a prophesy about two prophets who will be killed in Jerusalem, but I don't know any about the temples being closed and missionaries called home.   

I don't mean to say that those prophesies don't exist, but I'm not familiar with them.

Elder holland a few years back stated the church would have 100k missionaries in the field by 2019. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Scott
4 minutes ago, mrmarket said:

Elder holland a few years back stated the church would have 100k missionaries in the field by 2019. 

We never did reach that, but after the age requirements were changed, we did get over 80K:

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/facts-and-statistics

https://mormonmissionprep.com/news/number-of-mormon-missionaries/

number of missionaries serving from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

On the other hand though, the stats say "full time missionaries", so if you count part time missionaries and service missionaries, iit would be close to 100k.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Scott said:

We never did reach that, but after the age requirements were changed, we did get over 80K:

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/facts-and-statistics

https://mormonmissionprep.com/news/number-of-mormon-missionaries/

number of missionaries serving from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

On the other hand though, the stats say "full time missionaries", so if you count part time missionaries and service missionaries, iit would be close to 100k.

 

 By the  end of april it will be about 30k full time missionaries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disheartened by the reports of people swarming to public places over the weekend. The word avoid apparently is not strong enough for most is seems. Schools,  pubs, clubs and cafes, shutdown and yet people have not figured that social isolation is needed. I can see total lockdown on the cards.

Grateful that food storage has meant I have escaped most of the shopping madness. Appreciating the consistency of the Come Follow me Program, sad that I wont be able to partake of the sacrament for a while and missing my Sunday School class.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest LiterateParakeet

If there is one thing I have learned, it's that prophesy is not always fulfilled in the ways we think it will be.  For example, the moon turning to blood.  I thought that would be something EVERYONE would notice, it would be on the news and everyone would marvel at it.  And yet, it happened, and no one noticed.  The only reason I know it happened is because Pres. Hinckley told us that it did!!!   So, I dnn't claim to know if our current situation fulfills the prophesy about missionaries being called home...it might, it might not, without some word from the Prophet or personal revelation (which I wouldn't share cause I'm ot the prophet and that wouldn't be my place) I can't say.  I share this as food for thought...

https://josephsmithfoundation.org/missionaries-will-the-missionaries-be-called-home-prior-to-calamities-in-the-last-days/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not one to raise alarm, but it's always good to read up on prophetic last days quotes, to see how close or far away they appear.

https://josephsmithfoundation.org/missionaries-will-the-missionaries-be-called-home-prior-to-calamities-in-the-last-days/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you like lots of data condensed into easy-to-understand stuff, this is the best article I've found.  This is why it's important to shut down the entire dang world for right now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/?fbclid=IwAR1MoyV_oMi0wqiZHufm9aAn5M19czUPJscP-Z1zE4mJic777Bi6lncesdk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the Brazilian mafia is taking matters into their own hands. This essentially says that if the government won't enforce a curfew, then organized crime will. I also pulled this awesome nugget from my translator: "Anyone seen on the street after this time will learn to respect the next one!"

IMG_20200323_185033.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Godless said:

Looks like the Brazilian mafia is taking matters into their own hands. This essentially says that if the government won't enforce a curfew, then organized crime will. I also pulled this awesome nugget from my translator: "Anyone seen on the street after this time will learn to respect the next one!"

IMG_20200323_185033.jpg

Scumbags. I wish nothing but evil for their efforts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"He said that this government would dissolve pretty much all the laws passed by our legislature, and that the time would come when the government would stop the Saints from holding meetings.  When this was done the Lord would pour out His judgments."

Life of Heber C. Kimball, pg. 442

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.