2020 General Conference Via Technology, ONLY!

Not the circumstance I thought it would be under but I was counting down the days when church would be virtual via online. This is general conference but in Italy I heard they did sunday church services online last week due to the corona virus outbreak. I hope this trend of virtual services stick because I know a lot of inactives that need and want the gospel in their lives but are done with participating in mass type worship services.

3 minutes ago, priesthoodpower said:

I know a lot of inactives that need and want the gospel in their lives but are done with participating in mass type worship services.

So the commandment is that we "meet together oft", but these inactives say, "Nah, I'm done with that." So the kingdom of God is to cater to their rebellious disobedience.

Do I have that right?

1 hour ago, Vort said:

So the commandment is that we "meet together oft", but these inactives say, "Nah, I'm done with that." So the kingdom of God is to cater to their rebellious disobedience.

Do I have that right?

Lots of catering already going on in the church you must be blind, thank goodness we have a prophet that gets it. Meet in person, meet online, meet anyway you want. You are stuck in the 80s.

1 hour ago, priesthoodpower said:

Lots of catering already going on in the church you must be blind, thank goodness we have a prophet that gets it. Meet in person, meet online, meet anyway you want. You are stuck in the 80s.

Yep, that's probably it.

I wouldn’t be surprised if during this conference there were some changes announced.  

@Vort will hate this:

Any melchizedek priesthood holder will have the authority to bless the sacrament for his family (without having to ask permission from the Bishop).

Big fan of the Brethren, and the Home centered, Church supported program.

I think that the Corona virus ‘Pandemic’ will shortly come to an end.  But as second coming approaches Crises will compound.

We live in a time unlike any other in the world.  If you look at the simple ‘Spanish Flu’ of 1918 you recognize that 500 million people were affected and between 20-50 million people died.  This flu was the same H1N1 flu that we now recognize.

The world population density and travel opportunities have made transmission of disease in the human host a freakin nightmare.  

Note the bolded section from the opening address given by Elder Holland last October General Conference (bolding by me)

As in our New Testament story, those blessed with sight will recognize that, in spite of everything else this conference tradition may offer us, it will mean little or nothing unless we find Jesus at the center of it all. To grasp the vision we are seeking, the healing that He promises, the significance we somehow know is here, we must cut through the commotion—joyful as it is—and fix our attention on Him. The prayer of every speaker, the hope of all who sing, the reverence of every guest—all are dedicated to inviting the Spirit of Him whose Church this is—the living Christ, the Lamb of God, the Prince of Peace.

But we don’t have to be in a conference center to find Him.

22 hours ago, mikbone said:

Any melchizedek priesthood holder will have the authority to bless the sacrament for his family (without having to ask permission from the Bishop).

I would be disappointed in that without further revelation.  I understand separating the wheat, but I believe the continued guidance and interaction with our fellow saints is healthy for our testimonies.  It's too easy for all but the strongest of us to slip away after a lengthy absence, or if there is no expectation to attend.   It also makes it difficult to function as a church without those present and helping.

2 hours ago, Grunt said:

I would be disappointed in that without further revelation.  I understand separating the wheat, but I believe the continued guidance and interaction with our fellow saints is healthy for our testimonies.  It's too easy for all but the strongest of us to slip away after a lengthy absence, or if there is no expectation to attend.   It also makes it difficult to function as a church without those present and helping.

I do very much agree on the importance of getting together & helping each other, and I will miss church during this break (granted, the break is a very rational precaution).   For me at least, that desire is largely separate from wishing to partake of the Sacrament though.  

8 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

I do very much agree on the importance of getting together & helping each other, and I will miss church during this break (granted, the break is a very rational precaution).   For me at least, that desire is largely separate from wishing to partake of the Sacrament though.  

For the Sacrament I have heard some talk about making sure everyone gets it at least once a month.  This can be accomplished by authorizing homes with the required Priesthood holders to perform it.  For those homes without that would require a ramp up of whatever the local program is to take sacrament to the shut-ins.  Because everyone is a shut-in now.  Properly spread out (maybe through ministering assignments) it should not be to big of a burden/risk

5 hours ago, estradling75 said:

For the Sacrament I have heard some talk about making sure everyone gets it at least once a month.  This can be accomplished by authorizing homes with the required Priesthood holders to perform it.  For those homes without that would require a ramp up of whatever the local program is to take sacrament to the shut-ins.  Because everyone is a shut-in now.  Properly spread out (maybe through ministering assignments) it should not be to big of a burden/risk

That's about what I was thinking.

The church started laying the groundwork for this a long time ago with BYU tv starting to broadcast a form of sacrament meeting online as far back as 1990

https://www.deseret.com/1990/10/5/18884686/lds-worship-service-debuts-sunday-on-visn-cable-channel

Here's just one example of what I found when I did a search using the terms byu sacramen meeting byu tv. Some of the questions and comments go about live streaming sacrament meetings go back to 2007

Sep 2, 2013 - 10 posts - ‎6 authors
... BYU-TV, I think) a meeting identical to sacrament meeting without the ... But although BYUtv continues to air it, I don't think they're creating ...

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2020 at 12:40 PM, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

Leaders, speakers, musicians, choirs, technicians and others assigned to assist 
with general conference will participate in all five sessions at the Conference 
Center in Salt Lake, but the public will not be admitted to the building.

Will the choir practice safe-distancing?

49 minutes ago, TheTanakas said:

Leaders, speakers, musicians, choirs, technicians and others assigned to assist 
with general conference will participate in all five sessions at the Conference 
Center in Salt Lake, but the public will not be admitted to the building.

Will the choir practice safe-distancing?

They've already pre-recorded all of the music.

So for conference the actual choir members will be probably located on their individual couches, with plenty of social distance between them :) .