Midwest LDS

Church cancels all meetings including Sacrament meeting worldwide

Recommended Posts

I had decided not to go to church anyway (most of the brethren in my ward are doctors at the university hospital or faculty, around lots of young people), but was trying to figure how I might get the missionaries to give me the Sacrament at home. Considering how the virus affects different age groups, I'm hesitant to allow young men, who have been in homes all over the ward, to come in the house.  If anyone has any ideas; I'm open.

I find all of this amazing - who would have thought there would be no public gathering for the Conference or Sacrament meetings?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest MormonGator

The leaders of the church are many things, but one thing they are (and this isn't talked about much) is our brothers/fathers and herders of the flock. Their number one goal is getting up to follow Him, and their number two goal is our personal safety and protection. Just like (hopefully) our real fathers. They are doing what all good fathers do right now-protect their flock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Midwest LDS said:

I'm glad we can still partake of the Sacrament at home since I hold the priesthood but this makes me sad. I look forward to church every week https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/gatherings-worldwide-temporarily-suspended


Just to reiterate for those who might not know, partaking of the sacrament at home must have approval from the Bishop as he holds the keys of the sacrament administration. From the Handbook:

 

18.9.1
Approval to Administer the Sacrament

The bishop holds the priesthood keys for administering the sacrament in the ward. All who participate in preparing, blessing, and passing the sacrament must receive approval from him or someone under his direction.

If members of his ward are unable to partake of the sacrament because they are confined to a home, care center, or hospital, the bishop may authorize priesthood holders to administer the sacrament to them. He may authorize this even if they are temporarily outside his ward boundaries. However, he may not authorize the sacrament to be given to members outside his ward boundaries in other circumstances.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Colirio said:


Just to reiterate for those who might not know, partaking of the sacrament at home must have approval from the Bishop as he holds the keys of the sacrament administration. From the Handbook:

 

18.9.1
Approval to Administer the Sacrament

The bishop holds the priesthood keys for administering the sacrament in the ward. All who participate in preparing, blessing, and passing the sacrament must receive approval from him or someone under his direction.

If members of his ward are unable to partake of the sacrament because they are confined to a home, care center, or hospital, the bishop may authorize priesthood holders to administer the sacrament to them. He may authorize this even if they are temporarily outside his ward boundaries. However, he may not authorize the sacrament to be given to members outside his ward boundaries in other circumstances.

 

Right I forgot to add that disclaimer thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, pam said:

You can't tell me that our leaders were not inspired when they brought about the 2 hour meetings and counseled us to study more at home and with our families.

Putting the “home centered, church supported” to the test! 
 

For me, it really started with the urging from our leaders to keep the sabbath day holy several years ago. That seemed to be a preparatory step for individuals and families to really focus on Christ centered worship in our homes and away from standard church services. The Come Follow Me program was the next step. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And for the alternative point of view.............

Greek Orthodox church says 'holy cup cannot carry disease', allows congregations to share spoon

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-14/church-religious-groups-say-coronavirus-cannot-infect-them/12055476

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, askandanswer said:

And for the alternative point of view.............

Greek Orthodox church says 'holy cup cannot carry disease', allows congregations to share spoon

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-14/church-religious-groups-say-coronavirus-cannot-infect-them/12055476

If people get the virus they will just claim that the infection came from contact other than the 'holy cup' and the spoon.  It won't be logistically provable either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, person0 said:

If people get the virus they will just claim that the infection came from contact other than the 'holy cup' and the spoon.  It won't be logistically provable either way.

I understand that silver *does* have some limited abilities to resist nasties, but this is one case where common sense should prevail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest LiterateParakeet
6 hours ago, askandanswer said:

And for the alternative point of view.............

Greek Orthodox church says 'holy cup cannot carry disease', allows congregations to share spoon

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-14/church-religious-groups-say-coronavirus-cannot-infect-them/12055476

We laugh at this, but last week a few Stakes in my area (Washington) had Sacrament meeting only....because passing bread and water to an entire congregation cannot carry disease??????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Australian saints, and probably saints in many countries are faced with a situation where they have to choose between God and government in a way that I thought would never happen - the church says we cannot attend church but our government says we can attend church as long as its not more than 500 people. I never thought I'd live to see the day when the government says we can attend church and the church says we cannot! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now