Standard Works - 1970s Missionary Editions

caspianrex

A few days ago, I acquired a neat little addition to my library: a Bible and a Triple Combo (Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants, Pearl of Great Price), missionary editions from the late 1970s (just before the Standard Works were published in a "new" format).

They are both thumb-indexed editions in a white zipper-case. The Bible had a little slip of paper inside it, printed with these words:

This is your missionary Bible. Day by day, over the years, it will go with you and be your guide, your strength, your courage, and your wisdom.

What is in the Bible commands your respect and your devotion. So the physical book itself must command care from your hands.

Given proper care this Bible will last a lifetime. It should not, of course, be allowed to get damp, nor should it be subjected to too much heat. Never put a Bible down on a steam radiator.

It is most important with a new Bible to get the backbone supple by gentle opening. Take your new Bible and place it closed with the backbone flat ona table. Now open the two covers and gently run your fingers down the part where they join the pages. Now take twenty or thirty pages from the front of the book and the back and again run your fingers down the inside edge of the pages. Continue to take twenty or thirty pages more from each end until you reach the middle of the book.

Never, NEVER wrench a Bible open forcibly, especially when it is new. This will break the back of the book.

The Bible also has a section in the middle, between Old and New Testaments, called Ready References, a handy little guide for the missionaries on a variety of topics. There is a Bible Dictionary, that was extensively adapted when the church published its own KJV in 1979. This edition also says on its title page that it is specially bound for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and distributed by the Deseret Book Company. (I believe the edition was actually printed by the Cambridge University Press, which would later print the Church's edition of the KJV.)

Both books are in excellent condition, so I'm quite happy with this addition to my library!

1 hour ago, Vort said:

Looks familiar. Seems to be in great shape.

Yes, they are in excellent shape. There is some highlighting in both volumes, and some handwritten notes in ink.

I also had to go over the covers with some GooGone, to get rid of some scuff marks. But really, both volumes are in great shape!

1 hour ago, caspianrex said:

A few days ago, I acquired a neat little addition to my library: a Bible and a Triple Combo (Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants, Pearl of Great Price), missionary editions from the late 1970s (just before the Standard Works were published in a "new" format).

They are both thumb-indexed editions in a white zipper-case. The Bible had a little slip of paper inside it, printed with these words:

The Bible also has a section in the middle, between Old and New Testaments, called Ready References, a handy little guide for the missionaries on a variety of topics. There is a Bible Dictionary, that was extensively adapted when the church published its own KJV in 1979. This edition also says on its title page that it is specially bound for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and distributed by the Deseret Book Company. (I believe the edition was actually printed by the Cambridge University Press, which would later print the Church's edition of the KJV.)

Both books are in excellent condition, so I'm quite happy with this addition to my library!

I still have mine! And I have the more recent editions as well as they came out with new canon, manuscript conformance and study help updates (and of course the online version). ETA I also have a Book of Mormon from 1919...

Edited by CV75

8 minutes ago, CV75 said:

I still have mine! And I have the more recent editions as well as they came out with new canon, manuscript conformance and study help updates (and of course the online version). ETA I also have a Book of Mormon from 1919...

1919? Cool, just before the 1920 Salt Lake City edition came out. That would be neat to see!

18 hours ago, CV75 said:

I have the more recent editions in a variety of sizes and combinations (individual volumes, large and small, as well as a few triple and quad combos).

2 hours ago, caspianrex said:

I have the more recent editions in a variety of sizes and combinations (individual volumes, large and small, as well as a few triple and quad combos).

Wow - I've just kept various copies I purchased, and that people gifted me, over the years (the 1904 edition and a 1950 edition).

[When I clicked on the link I shared in the previous post, I was unable to scroll down, so I copied the spreadsheet below, just in case.]

Title Description Publication Date
1 [The Book of Mormon] (Deseret Alphabet version) Blue Paperback, transcribed by John H. Jenkins 2015
2 A Companion to Your Study of the Doctrines and Covenants Paperback, by Daniel H. Ludlow (Vols. 1 & 2) 1978
3 A Complete Concordance of the Book of Mormon Burgundy hardcover, by George Reynolds 1973
4 A New Approach to Studying the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ Blue softcover; organized by events, emphasizing narrators, speakers, locations, dates and quoted passages; ed. by Lynn A. Rosenvall & David L. Rosenvall (2013 BOM text) 2018
5 A Topical Guide to the Scripturws of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Black hardcover, topical index to Standard Works 1977
6 Annotated Edition of the Book of Mormon Large blue hardcover w/ 2 marker ribbons; edited by David Hocking and Rod Meldrum 2018
7 Book of Mormon Hardcover 1830 facsimile edition, from Nauvoo Mercantile 1830 (reprint)
8 Book of Mormon, Seminary Student Study Guide Paperback, prepared by the Church Educational System 2000
9 Book of Mormon, Student Manual Paperback (Religion 121 and 122) 1996
10 Book of Mormon: 1830 Edition Brown hardcover, Grandin Artisans facsimile ed. 1830 (reprint)
11 Book of Mormon: Authorized Version Black hardcover, published by RLDS 1992
12 Book of Mormon: Revised Authorized Version Black hardcover, published by RLDS (copyright renewed 1994) 1966
13 Church History in the Fulness of Times, Student Manual Paperack (Religion 341 through 343) 2003
14 Doctrine and Covenants, Student Manual Paperback 1981
15 Gospel Principles Paperback 2009
16 Holy Bible, King James Version Brown leather, regular size 1979
17 Holy Bible, King James Version Brown leather, regular size (newer copy) 1979
18 Holy Bible, King James Version White leather in zipper case, previously owned by Carol F. Capps; specially bound for Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Daints; distributed by The Deseret Book Company (Missionary edition) --
19 Holy Bible, King James Version Blue leather, regular size, thumb indexed (1979 edition) 1983
20 Holy Bible, King James Version Brown leather, large print edition 1979
21 Holy Bible, King James Version Burgundy paperback, regular size 1979
22 Holy Bible, King James Version Blue paperback, large print edition 2013
23 Holy Bible, King James Version Blue paperback, thinline free edition, no notes 2000
24 Holy Bible/The Book of Mormon/Doctrine & Covenants/Pearl of Great Price Teal leather quad combo in matching case 1979
25 Holy Bible/The Book of Mormon/Doctrine & Covenants/Pearl of Great Price Black imitation leather quad combo, 2013 version 2013
26 Holy Bible/The Book of Mormon/Doctrine & Covenants/Pearl of Great Price Burgundy imitation leather quad combo (thumb indexed), 2013 version 2013
27 Holy Scriptures: Inspired Version Black hardcover, published by Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (RLDS) 1974
28 Hymns of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Green hardcover hymnal, second edition 1998
29 Hymns of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Blue leather, pocket size edition 1985
30 Mormon America: The Power and the Promise Paperback, by Richard & Joan Ostling 2007
31 Mormons Under the Microscope Paperback, by Ed D. Lauritsen, PhD 2010
32 Revelations in Context Paperback 2016
33 Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: Brigham Young Paperback 1997
34 Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: David O. McKay Paperback 2003
35 Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: Ezra Taft Benson Paperback 2014
36 Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: George Albert Smith Paperback 2011
37 Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: Gordon B. Hinckley Paperback 2016
38 Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: John Taylor Paperback 2001
39 Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: Joseph F. Smith Paperback 1998
40 Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: Joseph Fielding Smith Paperback  
41 Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith Spiral bound 2007
42 Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith Paperback 2007
43 Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: Lorenzo Snow Paperback 2012
44 Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: Spencer W. Kimball Paperback 2006
45 Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: Wilford Woodruff Paperback 2004
46 Teachings of Thomas S. Monson Paperback 2011
47 The Book of Mormon Burgundy paperback w/ Moroni on cover (1920 text) 1950
48 The Book of Mormon Blue paperback w/ Moroni on cover (1920 text) 1978
49 The Book of Mormon Paperback, Penguin Classics version of 1840 edition 2008
50 The Book of Mormon Blue hardcover w/ Moroni on cover (1920 text) 1980
51 The Book of Mormon Blue hardcover, large print, illustrated (1920 text) 1962
52 The Book of Mormon (Red letter) Black leather edition, published by Bickertonites, Monongahela PA, 4th ed. 2001
53 The Book of Mormon Study Guide: Start to Finish Paperback, by Thomas R. Valletta 2015
54 The Book of Mormon: A Reader's Edition Paperback, 1920 text edited by Grant Hardy 2005
55 The Book of Mormon: A Reader's Edition Hardcover, 1920 text edited by Grant Hardy 2003
56 The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ Blue hardcover (1981 text) 1987
57 The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ Blue paperback (2013 text) 2013
58 The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ Blue paperback (1981 text) 1981
59 The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ Blue paperback (1981 text, prev. owned by Wood family) 1981
60 The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ Hardcover, Doubleday edition (1981 text) 2004
61 The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ Burgundy paperback pocket size edition ("Beware False Prophets!") 1981 text 1990
62 The Book of Mormon: Maxwell Institute Study Edition Paperback, ed. by Grant Hardy (2013 text) 2018
63 The Book of Mormon: Restored Covenant Edition Black bonded leather, published by Zarahemla Research Foundation 2009
64 The Book of Mormon: Selections Annotated & Explained Paperback, annotations by Jana Riess, foreword by Phyllis Tickle 2005
65 The Book of Mormon: The Earliest Text Hardcover, Yale edition edited by Royal Skousen 1999
66 The Book of Mormon/Doctrine & Covenants/Pearl of Great Price Blue paperback, Triple combo, large print 1981
67 The Book of Mormon/Doctrine & Covenants/Pearl of Great Price Black leather, Triple combo, regular size 2013
68 The Book of Mormon/Doctrine & Covenants/Pearl of Great Price Brown leather, triple combo, regular size 1981
69 The Book of Mormon/Doctrine & Covenants/Pearl of Great Price White triple combo, in white zipper case, formerly owned by Carol F. Capps 1974
70 The Mormon Experience: A History of the Latter-day Saints Hardcover w/ dust jacket, by Leonard J. Arrington & Davis Bitton 1979
71 The Mormonizing of America Hardcover, by Stephen Mansfield (signed by author) 2012
72 The Stick of Joseph in the Hand of Ephraim Hardcover, Hebraicized Book of Mormon adaptation 2019
73 The Timechart History of Mormonism Large fold-out book by Christopher Kendall Bigelow 2007
74 КНИГА МОРМОНА [Book of Mormon in Russian] Blue hardcover, Russian translation 1982

On 3/19/2020 at 4:52 AM, askandanswer said:

Umm, I'm kind of curious why you have them and wondering what you do with them.

I have them because I've long enjoyed studying LDS history and literature. I also became fascinated with the printing history of the Book of Mormon, and the way the printing and formatting of the text evolved over time, as well as the differences among versions of the BOM printed by various groups apart from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Bickertonites, Zarahemla Research Foundation, RLDS, etc.) I read them, and do gain some inspiration from them, albeit not in the same sense as my LDS friends.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually just added one more volume to my library of materials relating to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints: a Spanish language quad combo.

Santa Biblia/Libro de Mormon/Doctrinas y Convenios/Perla de Gran Precio, a burgundy, leather, thumb-indexed edition.

ABSRlIrqrEROncZWzUWUdF8biGjQl130kYz9Yy21ERZeY4zh5UFv6dltTjgARZEZYrFF4-5MZakydXeA2o5oLIU5-NCweiKqjq2VtXV7TmAcmiD06TthgPtf-p_XOYPMsLANJfaFnLiW1Njj8xq4o_TOHQUqCiTSBokCh6sLzLdQaJzLA2rvnOKyzFqVUb5OfzPQXVCRcd6IoJcF8SDEeUs1Q79zBjeSOi80iNwjTacGVUOuXljRyzkzlOm0ZwXAidOUZ88LoAyIJgd5gl9Nm-1_6k5TBbuWQViDtj4jFiC4FKYz4RGWCD5QNbJXUQbDPlHa3GpQyZRSG6vXRDKauRtyq4kXM9oq8GJB8x-1noO402lzCZ-1t-tyquAAQAT9GgrMBLSYIEtkMo2x7_Q7kSyNFi05ekBXqvmasja5ImKpiCcnLZ_zEXVXDbkBwriB1bqODkwX_RstfYaDEvX4ywt2IqEqFWjoTjLOYifBJ3xgqRFXF7iMGBc760WRoviT-3ijy9Ol6Ix5Sb3VflTpd5EsHERH3riOIw8VQ3lpsdiAF2jvKZUx4H0Y9rtDDU3R8zyCZeb3euuc_d22ZP7m87OD3Ulh6_yxBUOD0mZmEeEYlTiIlWFTxzreGeT4AXRPPVqpgZTGY-5Hg9s2fhgHhZTcdBSZMPYCqcIdNh_wAJgCgMpzeSjQrO3J4bZaldFL7PgkTMIpfrlW_XYvp1uZlDyZ7o2mggQqA25dxeA=s867-w489-h867-no

Edited by caspianrex
added pic