Movies you like that no one else does

Guest MormonGator

Guest MormonGator

My friend and I were talking about this. Though there are exceptions, I tend to like some movies that no one else does. Here is my list-

1. Waterworld-This is one of my all time favorites. I made my poor father see it twice with me in the theaters as a kid. It's still a favorite of mine. 

2. The Black Cauldron-How come no one else likes this movie? It's scary without being terrifying, it's a great adventure for all ages. 

3. A.I-Okay, this movie is a gem. There is a sense of sadness throughout the entire movie. It's also incredibly innovative and asks some tough questions. 
4. Joe Dirt-This movie epitomizes "guilty pleasure" for me. I generally think that Adam Sandler movies are repulsive and disgusting, but I found myself laughing at this one more than I'd like to admit. 
5. Signs- Okay, yes, it's  invasion of the plot holes. But there is some real suspense in-between the obvious problems here. With this movie the lights were on, and sometimes, some people were home. 

Any other ones you can add to this list? 

23 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

My friend and I were talking about this. Though there are exceptions, I tend to like some movies that no one else does. Here is my list-

1. Waterworld-This is one of my all time favorites. I made my poor father see it twice with me in the theaters as a kid. It's still a favorite of mine. 

2. The Black Cauldron-How come no one else likes this movie? It's scary without being terrifying, it's a great adventure for all ages. 

3. A.I-Okay, this movie is a gem. There is a sense of sadness throughout the entire movie. It's also incredibly innovative and asks some tough questions. 
4. Joe Dirt-This movie epitomizes "guilty pleasure" for me. I generally think that Adam Sandler movies are repulsive and disgusting, but I found myself laughing at this one more than I'd like to admit. 
5. Signs- Okay, yes, it's  invasion of the plot holes. But there is some real suspense in-between the obvious problems here. With this movie the lights were on, and sometimes, some people were home. 

Any other ones you can add to this list? 

I loved the movie Gettysburg, made in the 1990's. It's classic Civil War action, and it was good although I've never met anyone else who liked it nearly as much as I did. There were some fake looking beards, but the acting was spot on and there was genuine emotion in the film.

I also liked the Last Samurai. I know cultural appropriation, white savior syndrome, blah blah blah, but I thought Tom Cruise was spot on as a veteran struggling with PTSD and I loved the action sequences.

Speaking of Tom Cruise The Edge of tomorrow. The ending fell a little flat, but I've never seen an action movie about a stable time loop that was more like watching someone play a video game, and I genuinely thought the plot was fun.

Guest MormonGator
2 hours ago, Midwest LDS said:

I know cultural appropriation, white savior syndrome, blah blah blah,

You racism deeply offends me. 

(I like some Cruise movies too, but don't tell anyone)

Guest MormonGator
6 minutes ago, Fether said:

Starwars Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith... but emphasis on Attack of the Clones. Watched it for the first time in years the other day and I was surprised and how good it was

The prequels have some good parts, no doubt. I like the emphasis on Palpatine.

12 minutes ago, Fether said:

Starwars Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith... but emphasis on Attack of the Clones. Watched it for the first time in years the other day and I was surprised and how good it was

I'm a fan of the prequels too. Even when they came out I liked them (although 3 is my favorite). They weren't as good as the originals, but I wasn't expecting them to be, and overall I enjoyed them.

2 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

The prequels have some good parts, no doubt. I like the emphasis on Palpatine.

Ewan McGregor could be one of the greatest things that ever happened to the Starwars universe. When I look to my favorite scenes in the prequels, he is always present.

Go back and watch episode 2 again and the whole mission obi-wan went on was actually really good. Trying to figure out what was going on at Kamino, following Jengo to Geonosis and finding the hidden techno union / CIS factories, discovering Dooku’s betrayal and the political upheaval that was hinted at in episode 1, and the dialogue they have about qui gon jinn’s distrust of the Jedi and whether he would have joined Dooku or not. 

Most of Anakin’s scenes were cringe worthy, but besides that, fantastic movie.

Perhaps appropriate for the time we live in, I enjoyed the TV mini-series The Stand (Stephen King). A virus wipes out 99% of the world, and the remaining 1% gravitate towards good or evil. It came out at a time when post-modernism was ascendant, and it was refreshing to see Hollywood promote a godly vs. ungodly story dynamic. Similarly, I really enjoyed Onward, Pixar's newest offering. Some have panned it for being predictable and for addressing over-familiar topics, but I found the story engaging, heart-tugging, and I loved the twist at the end.

BTW, shout-out to OP's Water World. Hey, any movie that makes cigarette-smokers the main antagonists has got to make us happy, no?

Edited by prisonchaplain

Signs was an excellent movie.  All about faith, disguised as an alien flick.

Book of Eli rocks too.  A Christian missionary movie, disguised as a post-apocalyptic zombie flick.

Mystery Men.  A movie about personal growth and the importance of teamwork, not really disguised as anything but.

2 minutes ago, Vort said:

The books were much better. (Not to say they were good, because they weren't, at least not in any literary sense. But they were better than the movie.)

I have seen several other attempts at a movie - and I read the book.  I still liked the movie - much better than the last Star Wars.  BTW I am watching "The Mandalorian"  - they remind me of the old Klint Eastwood spaghetti westerns.   I am not the only one - in making sure I was spelling Mandalorian correctly - I discovered that half the word thinks the same.

The Traveler

I enjoy the Black Cauldron.  I think it's garnered a gathering of folks who enjoy it these days, though it was not so popular on it's release.

As a boy I really enjoyed a movie Called Gunga-Din.  I think I saw it on TV or someplace long ago and it got root.  I loved movies with the actor Carey Grant in them growing up, but Gunga-Din was all about a kids fantasy adventure in some ways.

I also enjoyed the movie The Inspector General with Danny Kaye.  My wife enjoyed the Court Jester more and was one of her favorites.  It's been years since I actually watched either, but I remember seeing the Inspector General (also I believe via TV at the time) in my teenage years and really enjoying it.  I have the DVD's of both somewhere, but it's been a while since I watched them.

I'm not sure that many outside of my generation even know what these movies are today, so I'd imagine that into the field of movies no one else (or most others do not) like (perhaps because they are older, or perhaps because they do not know they even exist, or various other reasons).

Edited by JohnsonJones

Guest MormonGator
10 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Signs was an excellent movie.  All about faith, disguised as an alien flick.

It's a good movie as long as you don't think too much about the numerous problems. 

10 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

Perhaps appropriate for the time we live in, I enjoyed the TV mini-series The Stand

99% of Stephen King movies are awful, but that one wasn't bad. 

It's not a well known movie, but Rubin and Ed was hilarious.  One of my favorites. I've tried to get other people to watch it, and most people just don't enjoy it. They don't hate it, but don't see the point.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102817/

Waterworld was great.  Dennis Hopper is always an excellent choice for a bad guy.

Joe Dirt is so much better than any Adam Sandler movie. (except maybe Happy Gilmore)

John Carter was incredible to watch.  It's not a great movie, but I like it. (I love the books too)

15 hours ago, Fether said:

Revenge of the Sith is my all-time favorite Star Wars movie.

Guest MormonGator
8 hours ago, dprh said:

Waterworld was great.  Dennis Hopper is always an excellent choice for a bad guy.

Joe Dirt is so much better than any Adam Sandler movie. (except maybe Happy Gilmore)

Thanks bud! Next time I'm in Nevada we can have a movie night. 

Guest LiterateParakeet
On 3/15/2020 at 3:34 PM, MormonGator said:

OH MG, The Black Cauldron? Seriously?  You need to see more movies!  I only vaguely remember that movie.  Saw it once, hated it.  BUT, but, but.....my best "book friend" talked me into reading the Lloyd Alexander books the movie was based on.  The books are wonderful.  If you love the movie, you are sure to love the books.  Have you read them?  

Signs.  I love Signs, doesn't everyone?  My favorite scene is when Mel Gibson and his brother and running around the house trying to scare "an intruder".  The brother is swearing, and Mel Gibson's character is saying, "I'm really angry" and sounding ridiculous.  LOL.  Sometimes you gotta bring out the power words.  LOL! 

I haven't see the others but so far you are one for two, so I don't know if that's a good rec for the others or not, LOL!  

Adding to the list?  I thought everyone loved the same movies I do, but then I thought everyone loved Signs....so....let's test this.. some of my most favorites are It's a Wonderful Life, Amazing Grace, My Life (with Michael Keaton and Nicole Kidman), Family Man (Nicholas Cage), and Blast From the Past.  Wait, maybe I don't want to know if other people don't love these.  What plot holes in Signs?  No, no, don't tell me.  I don't want to know.  

Edited by LiterateParakeet

I really like It's a Wonderful Life.

It was either that one or Miracle on 34th street that flopped in the theaters.  It could be gotten for very cheap and so it was shown on TV channels around Christmas (?) I believe, and through that gained a following as a Christmas Classic.

So, a movie that did terribly at the theaters originally is now beloved by many.

Guest MormonGator
49 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

What plot holes in Signs?  No, no, don't tell me.  I don't want to know.  

I'll never tell.

And I will check out the Black Cauldron books, thank you for the recommendation!