Movies you like that no one else does

Guest MormonGator

7 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Was that the SciFi channel miniseries?  That's the only one I haven't been able to watch.

#AliaDidNothingWrong

No, Heretics of Dune was Book 5 of the series.

The sci-fi series tried to stick much closer to the book than the movie did.  And I think it did a good job of it. But it really didn't make as much sense if you hadn't read the book.

It was funny that they basically skipped over the second book in about 5 minutes and went straight into Book 3.  But as I though about it, Book 2 was very short on enduring plot items (items that directly affected the following books).

And, YES, Alia certainly did do something wrong.  She allowed herself to be possessed by (in the book) the man who represented the devil incarnate.  She completely destroyed the legacy that Paul had created. The B.G. were right in declaring her an abomination.

5 minutes ago, Vort said:

Remind me: Was Alia Paul's sister? She was certainly a tragic figure.

Yes, she was.  And, yes, she was.

Edited by Carborendum

25 minutes ago, Vort said:

It has been many decades since I read Dune, but I see to remember various descriptions of ornithopter flight detailing how the wing motion went from normal flight to short, cupped motions. Or something like that. Based on such descriptions, I always presumed the ornithopters were wing-flapping airplanes.

I think I remember something like that language ("cupping") that made me think it was like a hummingbird.

4 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

I'm going to get "roasted as a racist" for saying this, but I'd love - just once - to see Song of the South in its entirety. I've only ever seen the Brer Rabbit segments, and the "zippety doo dah" scene on The Wonderful World of Disney when I was a kid. I believe they did once release it as a DVD, but you can't get it for love nor money now. These days Disney prefers to pretend that the movie never existed.

I have it on DVD.  I do not think it was ever released in the US, but it was released in Europe for awhile on DVD.  If they stopped producing it in Europe I imagine it may be quite costly to acquire a copy now.

5 hours ago, Carborendum said:

And, YES, Alia certainly did do something wrong.  She allowed herself to be possessed by (in the book) the man who represented the devil incarnate.  She completely destroyed the legacy that Paul had created. The B.G. were right in declaring her an abomination.

She was a lost cause in the womb.  You try being given memories and personalities of tens of thousands of people before you're even born, and see how stable and healthy you turn out.  Indeed she was an abomination, but she didn't have any choice in the matter.   

One of the saddest parts of any book of fiction I've read: Alia's water was poured on the sand.  

Edited by NeuroTypical

Guest MormonGator
23 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

She was a lost cause in the womb

Oh! You've heard the conversations my family has about my sister too?

(playing!) 

35 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

She was a lost cause in the womb.  You try being given memories and personalities of tens of thousands of people before you're even born, and see how stable and healthy you turn out.  Indeed she was an abomination, but she didn't have any choice in the matter.   

One of the saddest parts of any book of fiction I've read: Alia's water was poured on the sand.  

So that's why I'm so messed up. :hmmm: 

• 3 months later...

Anyone remember "The Rescue"  (late 80s) about a group of kids who end up going to rescue their military dads from North Korea. Loved that movie! 

And I love Hallmark movies..... I'm a sap that way.  

Pollyanna and The Three Lives of Thomasina (old Disney)  favorites through out my life

3 minutes ago, Lindy said:

Anyone remember "The Rescue"  (late 80s) about a group of kids who end up going to rescue their military dads from North Korea. Loved that movie! 

And I love Hallmark movies..... I'm a sap that way.  

Pollyanna and The Three Lives of Thomasina (old Disney)  favorites through out my life

I remember ads for that movie, now that you mention it.  I never saw it, but I think I recall ads about it.

We have the Video of Pollyanna for our kids (though now for the grandkids also, perhaps moreso) to watch in our video collection.  I have seen it, but I do not think we have Thomasina though.

On 3/16/2020 at 6:40 AM, JohnsonJones said:

I also enjoyed the movie The Inspector General with Danny Kaye.

I love The Inspector General!  I grew up watching TCM, but it wasn't until I bought a "Family Pack" from the five dollar bin that I discovered that movie.  Kaye is so funny!

On 3/17/2020 at 7:53 AM, JohnsonJones said:

I really like It's a Wonderful Life.

It was either that one or Miracle on 34th street that flopped in the theaters.  It could be gotten for very cheap and so it was shown on TV channels around Christmas (?) I believe, and through that gained a following as a Christmas Classic.

So, a movie that did terribly at the theaters originally is now beloved by many.

It was It's a Wonderful Life.  One of my absolute favorites; I'll watch it any time of year.  If I remember correctly, part of the reason it flopped so hard was because of a May release date.  Fun thing I discovered: if you remember, one of the angels says, "You'll spend that hour getting to know that man."  Once, I timed it and the amount of screen time we spend with Clarence "getting to know" George is longer than an hour, which, to me, says something about God's timing.  Hot dog!

I have to ask @JohnsonJones and @LadyGunnar have you seen Cary Grant in I Was a Male War Bride?  Pure hilarity!  I'm a sucker for screwball comedies, though.

I'm more likely to dislike a popular movie than to like something that's unpopular, if that makes sense.
Although, my best friend did tell me she didn't like Dan In Real Life, which I absolutely adore!

5 hours ago, seashmore said:

I love The Inspector General!  I grew up watching TCM, but it wasn't until I bought a "Family Pack" from the five dollar bin that I discovered that movie.  Kaye is so funny!

It was It's a Wonderful Life.  One of my absolute favorites; I'll watch it any time of year.  If I remember correctly, part of the reason it flopped so hard was because of a May release date.  Fun thing I discovered: if you remember, one of the angels says, "You'll spend that hour getting to know that man."  Once, I timed it and the amount of screen time we spend with Clarence "getting to know" George is longer than an hour, which, to me, says something about God's timing.  Hot dog!

I have to ask @JohnsonJones and @LadyGunnar have you seen Cary Grant in I Was a Male War Bride?  Pure hilarity!  I'm a sucker for screwball comedies, though.

I'm more likely to dislike a popular movie than to like something that's unpopular, if that makes sense.
Although, my best friend did tell me she didn't like Dan In Real Life, which I absolutely adore!

I really liked many Carey Grant movies when I was younger, but unfortunately I never saw I was a Male War Bride. 

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed The Circle. I read the book and saw the movie. I liked the movie--including the ending--better. However, I readily admit that the book's ending is more realistic and likely. Yeah...likely, but not as likeable. I guess I'm too optimistic for my own good. :::sigh:::

On 3/21/2020 at 8:52 PM, Vort said:

Adventures in Babysitting: No one remembers this film, but I thought it was a blast. Haven't seen it in decades, so I'm not sure what I would think today. But I loved it at the time, when everyone else bagged on it.

One of my favorites !  I wouldn't watch it with my younger grandchildren.... but I know the older ones would love it as much as I do.