Jesus did not socially distance himself from the lepers.

Vort

14 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

Could we go so far as to say that Jesus practiced a form of social distancing with non-Jews by restricting His ministery primarily to the Jewish people?

24  But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

(New Testament | Matthew 15:24)

As a matter of definition, I think you have a good point. Gentiles were considered spiritually unclean, and Israel was to limit her interactions with Gentiles, both on a national and on a personal level. Somehow, that seems different to me than the SARS-CoV2 panic, but I concede that Jesus' limited interactions with Gentiles can be considered a sort of social distancing.

On 3/16/2020 at 5:39 PM, Vort said:

I think our entire approach to this so-called pandemic is wrong-headed and based in a 19th-century-level understanding of microbiology.

Mr. Trump and Mr. Pence repeated on national tv for quite some time that the risk of contracting
the corona virus was very low.  Maybe their understanding of microbiology has changed in the 
last week.

2 minutes ago, Jonah said:

Mr. Trump and Mr. Pence repeated on national tv for quite some time that the risk of contracting
the corona virus was very low.  Maybe their understanding of microbiology has changed in the 
last week.

Yes, I expect it has. I'm apparently missing your point.

Isaiah's counsel re. social distancing

20  ¶ Come, my people, enter thou into thy chambers, and shut thy doors about thee: hide thyself as it were for a little moment, until the indignation be overpast.

(Old Testament | Isaiah 26:20)

On 3/16/2020 at 5:39 PM, Vort said:

Can you imagine Jesus practicing social distancing?

Matthew 10:5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:

6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Without having gone through all the pages of this thread, these scriptures are what came to my mind.

Seems to me that there are times and seasons for everything. We plant the crops in one season and harvest in another. The only way to know which spiritual season we are in is by revelation. 

1 hour ago, Colirio said:

Matthew 10:5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:

6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Without having gone through all the pages of this thread, these scriptures are what came to my mind.

Valid point. Allow me to rephrase.

Can you imagine Jesus practicing social distancing as a way to keep himself untainted from the diseased physical pollution of his fellow beings?

19 minutes ago, Vort said:

Valid point. Allow me to rephrase.

Can you imagine Jesus practicing social distancing as a way to keep himself untainted from the diseased physical pollution of his fellow beings?

Numbers 5:1 And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,

2 Command the children of Israel, that they put out of the camp every leper, and every one that hath an issue, and whosoever is defiled by the dead:

3 Both male and female shall ye put out, without the camp shall ye put them; that they defile not their camps, in the midst whereof I dwell.

Again, some verses of scripture that come to mind. But your point is also valid in that we saw Joseph Smith and others that put themselves at great personal risk to go bless others in their time of sickness. (Which resulted in them also becoming sick and also some miraculously healed.) We also have mandates that the elders should give blessings of healing to the sick after anointing with oil. 

So, when God can and has healed lepers in the past, why would He not have simply healed them all in old times rather than send them away from the rest of the people? Likewise, when should we practice social distancing and when should we go forth to exercise priesthood power in the lives of others? 

The answer is always the same. We need revelation from God to know the times and seasons. In this case of today, God’s prophet has notified the church over the whole earth that it was so important  to socially distance that the work of vicarious ordinances should be stopped in the temples, the church meetings cancelled, and many missionaries should be released early from the Lord’s service. 

I suspect that in the end, all of this will result in great miracles happening if we are obedient to the Lord’s commands through His prophet. 

Guest Scott