Not to put too fine a point on it, but CNN sucks

Vort

Guest Scott

All news agencies are reporting that, not just CNN.  Here's Fox News with the same story:

image.thumb.png.8add0aff3434026517e5177175491caf.png

https://www.foxnews.com/world/italy-coronavirus-death-toll-passes-china-for-first-time

Anyway, CNN or Fox news aside, there's a pretty good chance that it is true.  

China's response was quick, but also draconian.  

China shut down all transportation out of, in to, or within any cities with an infection.  This includes private vehicles.  Every business, school, public place, etc. was shut down.  No one was allowed to leave their homes with the exception of a few people that were to distribute food and supplies to houses and apartments.  Some houses were welded shut if people decided to break the ordinance.  At least one boy died of neglect or starvation because his parents were quanantined in a different building.  Drones were used to check on people and to make sure they are complying with orders or everyone wearing masks.  

I am most certainly not advocating China's method of containing the disease, but it wouldn't surprise me if their death toll ends up lower than that of other countries.  

Then it's pandemic sloppy reporting, not (just) CNN bias.

Your analysis appears convincing, but I'm not at all ready to grant China the least amount of credibility. That corrupt communist government has proven itself an enemy to truthful discourse and a jealous guardian of information. They are as corrupt as the Soviet Union ever was, though perhaps not with all the organized crime tie-ins. But that will inevitably come.

45 minutes ago, Scott said:

I am most certainly not advocating China's method of containing the disease, but it wouldn't surprise me if their death toll ends up lower than that of other countries.  

Well, if you died of a... say... poison gas leak, would you still count as a covid victim?  🙈🙉🙊

On 3/19/2020 at 1:52 PM, anatess2 said:

And Seth Rich apparently... I wonder if Weinstein is gonna get covid in prison.

From your lips to God’s ears . . .

https://www.niagara-gazette.com/covid-19/at-new-york-prison-harvey-weinstein-put-in-isolation-after/article_26e38374-6c7d-11ea-9f8a-3b2c09e7817d.html

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 11:58 AM, Scott said:

China's response was quick, but also draconian.  

Was it, though? Reports I've read suggest that China initially suppressed reporting of the virus by censoring social media and by disciplining whistle-blowers. AFTER the virus went global, China blamed the U.S. military (which led to POTUS calling it the China virus). So, draconian YES. Quick, maybe not so much. :detective:

Guest Scott
16 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

Was it, though? Reports I've read suggest that China initially suppressed reporting of the virus by censoring social media and by disciplining whistle-blowers. AFTER the virus went global, China blamed the U.S. military (which led to POTUS calling it the China virus). So, draconian YES. Quick, maybe not so much. :detective:

Quick in comparison to ours I guess.

It appears that China is punishing those who punished the wistleblowers, but yes the central government is also guilty of plenty of cover-ups I'm sure.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/03/19/818295972/chinese-authorities-admit-improper-response-to-coronavirus-whistleblower

Edited by Scott

On Feb 23 there were 19 cases in the U.S. There were well over 1,300 CDC staff involved in the response by then--this according to the CDC. I know that POTUS is blamed relentlessly by our media for the alleged slow response. Further, there was some initial skepticism, as it seemed at first that media wanted to use a seeming flu-like disease to stir panic and criticism of the administration. This mistrust may have delayed the response somewhat. How much we may never know. However, this caution cannot be compared to the Chinese-Communist willful suppression of news about the virus. It was the Middle Kingdom government's selfish, defensive and intentional actions that grew this worldwide disaster.  

Edited by prisonchaplain

Guest Scott
55 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

On Feb 23 there were 19 cases in the U.S. 

Maybe, but it seems probable that there were a lot more by then, but they weren't reported as coronavirus.

I know that POTUS is blamed relentlessly by our media for the alleged slow response. 

Fact Check is pretty good at being non-partisan, but here is a collection of some of the statements made:

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/trumps-statements-about-the-coronavirus/

It was definitely downplayed by Trump. 

That said though, a lot of us (me included), underestimated the effect that this would have for our country.   This is true of the so called medical experts.  

I still think that a lot of people are too hysterical about this.  Other people are being too lax (such as the college students gathering in huge groups during spring break).

On 3/20/2020 at 5:01 AM, Vort said:

Because everyone knows we can take what the Chinese government reports at face value.

image.png.cf902f4e8a582b5883bb238ce33bb20d.png

I think there may be good reason to question that the death toll in China was 3242. We can probably have a little more faith in the Italian figures. 

In China, the stories go that they were taking drastic measures that could only be done in a society like theirs.  They literally welded people shut into their homes, dragged them into quarantine, and had the death penalty for those who tried to avoid these things.

Italy and most of the Western World do not do these things (yet).

However, with how lax the US was with it's timing, delaying taking any action, and then the actions it took should have been implemented 3 weeks prior (because at the point they were implemented they were just about useless) rather than when they did.  They are still running 3 weeks behind what they should in their actions they are taking, meaning the US is enroute to have an even bigger outbreak than China did.

Once again, calculations are that about the first or second week of May is when the US is going to have it's medical system overrun and we'll see the Italian situation unfold in the US in a much bigger manner.  Without even more drastic measures, the US right now is enroute to have 1/3 of it's population infected and up to 500K deaths (Some say it could be 1-3 million, but I'm going by the older estimates in trying to be at least a little positive).

I have gotten something today...I'm not sure what it is.  No fever, so that's a good sign.  Some diarrhea and chest congestion, dry cough, but no fever.  Hopefully not what everyone is afraid of that's spreading around.  I just hope I'm not part of the mortality statistics eventually.

13 hours ago, Scott said:

It was definitely downplayed by Trump. 

It's HIS JOB to stem panic while working to defend the country from a VIRUS.  Memes are called viral for a reason.  You can't stop them from spreading.

I don't know why you believe Trump had a slow response.  Trump has been criticized for his responses since December of last year.  He was criticized in December for offering aid to China to combat the virus in Wuhan - the story was that he was spying on China for the trade war or spying on Biden's son.  Then in January he was criticized for shutting down travel - accused of xenophobia by WHO and the Democrats.  His corona virus task force led by Pence gave the very first press conference on January 27 - the media and the Democrats accused him of using the corona virus to distract from impeachment.  Trump instructed CDC to produce their own test kits so as not to be reliant on foreign, especially Chinese, materiel.  Test kits were produced in a jiffy and went on limited release - it failed and had to be recalled and redone.  THAT'S when the media pounced on the virus coverage and produced the sensational panic and created the narrative that Trump "was slow on his response"...

5 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

In China, the stories go that they were taking drastic measures that could only be done in a society like theirs.  They literally welded people shut into their homes, dragged them into quarantine, and had the death penalty for those who tried to avoid these things.

Italy and most of the Western World do not do these things (yet).

However, with how lax the US was with it's timing, delaying taking any action, and then the actions it took should have been implemented 3 weeks prior (because at the point they were implemented they were just about useless) rather than when they did.  They are still running 3 weeks behind what they should in their actions they are taking, meaning the US is enroute to have an even bigger outbreak than China did.

Once again, calculations are that about the first or second week of May is when the US is going to have it's medical system overrun and we'll see the Italian situation unfold in the US in a much bigger manner.  Without even more drastic measures, the US right now is enroute to have 1/3 of it's population infected and up to 500K deaths (Some say it could be 1-3 million, but I'm going by the older estimates in trying to be at least a little positive).

I have gotten something today...I'm not sure what it is.  No fever, so that's a good sign.  Some diarrhea and chest congestion, dry cough, but no fever.  Hopefully not what everyone is afraid of that's spreading around.  I just hope I'm not part of the mortality statistics eventually.

Out of curiosity, do you also believe that Obama was slow on his H1N1 response in 2009?

Guest Scott
12 hours ago, anatess2 said:

It's HIS JOB to stem panic while working to defend the country from a VIRUS.

If he is doing it accurately, yes.

I don't know why you believe Trump had a slow response. 

Was Trump slow react?  In retrospect, yes, but so was everyone else. 

I never mentioned the slow reaction (read my post again); I said he had been downplaying the events.  That is pretty easy to see while reading through his tweets.  I know he was criticized for doing some things that he shouldn't have been criticized for, but that's another story.

Edited by Scott

47 minutes ago, Scott said:

If he is doing it accurately, yes.

Was Trump slow react?  In retrospect, yes, but so was everyone else. 

I never mentioned the slow reaction (read my post again); I said he had been downplaying the events.  That is pretty easy to see while reading through his tweets.  I know he was criticized for doing some things that he shouldn't have been criticized for, but that's another story.

Trump was NOT slow to react, not even in retrospect.  He downplayed events to stem panic.  His task force maintained communication with the American people the entire time even without media coverage so you can easily go to the CDC or White House press releases and see exactly what they did since last November.

16 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Out of curiosity, do you also believe that Obama was slow on his H1N1 response in 2009?

I'm not so sure at the time.  I didn't follow it as closely as this.  I know that when I went to another nation I got under their quarantine rules though.  I wasn't, but many who went with me fell under it.  Ironically, I think I actually had it during that time, but they already had so many under quarantine and being treated there that I was basically someone allotted to help out.

I'm not as sure how things went in the US during those months as I was overseas at that time period.  There was a great deal of fear at that time too, but I think there may be more fear and panic this time around.  It seems the estimates of how deadly COVID is higher than H1N1 was.

That said there are guesses that range from 150K to 500K+ deaths from it. 

At the rate the US is increasing, I expect it will be the most infected nation (Surpassing all others) within a few weeks.  I'm just hoping I don't have it right now.  I haven't had breathing problems, but the other symptoms are starting to seem to appear.  Not sure if it is just some other thing I picked up or the actual Coronavirus.

I hope it's not the COVID.  My age group doesn't seem to be lucky with it, though otherwise I think I'm in good health.  Currently sleeping in another room than my wife just in case.

Wish it was easier to get tested to see if one has it or not.

3 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

I'm not so sure at the time.  I didn't follow it as closely as this.  I know that when I went to another nation I got under their quarantine rules though.  I wasn't, but many who went with me fell under it.  Ironically, I think I actually had it during that time, but they already had so many under quarantine and being treated there that I was basically someone allotted to help out.

I'm not as sure how things went in the US during those months as I was overseas at that time period.  There was a great deal of fear at that time too, but I think there may be more fear and panic this time around.  It seems the estimates of how deadly COVID is higher than H1N1 was.

That said there are guesses that range from 150K to 500K+ deaths from it. 

Obama declared H1N1 a public health emergency in late April 2009.  WHO declared H1N1 a pandemic in June.

Trump declared CoVID a public health emergency in late January 2020.  WHO delcared CoVID a pandemic in March.

Obama declared H1N1 national emergency in October 2009.  Thousands of Americans have died by this time.

Trump declared CoVID a national emergency in March right after WHO declared it a pandemic.  US Death rate was ~200.

H1N1 vaccine did not get developed and tested until November 2009. 

CoVID-19 vaccine is currently in testing.

H1N1 caused zero media frenzy and Obama response was constantly praised for his leadership.  Even after thousands of Americans have died, the nation kept on chugging as normal, so much so that nobody remembers there was an H1N1 national emergency in 2009.

CoVID-19 caused so much media frenzy and Trump response was constantly undermined so much so that the poor and the elderly can't even buy an ounce of chicken from the grocery because everybody else is panic buying everything and you declare Trump's response as slow.

CNN reports fake news that 2 people died because of the CoVID-19 vaccine and made sure the headline stated - "CoVID-19 vaccine causes death to 2 after Trump endorses it".  

And you continue to swallow media propaganda.

At the rate the US is increasing,

So... if you have corona virus and you didn't get tested, then it doesn't count?  The US TESTING RATE increased drastically.  That's why you are seeing a rapid increase in CoVID cases. 

I hope it's not the COVID.  My age group doesn't seem to be lucky with it, though otherwise I think I'm in good health.  Currently sleeping in another room than my wife just in case.

Uhmm... you and your wife should QUARANTINE if you are concerned.  Sleeping in a different room doesn't make much difference when you're living in the same house, touching the same things, inhaling the same circulated air.  If you have the virus, your wife and anybody else living in your house and everything you came in contact with have already been all COMPROMISED.

Edited by anatess2

@Scott @JohnsonJones

Read this.

The American Mind has a right wing bias in the same manner that CNN has a left wing bias.  So if you're getting info from CNN, The American Mind is par for the course with you.  All information in this article is verifiable so you can go play fetch.

https://americanmind.org/features/the-coronacrisis-and-our-future-discontents/trump-has-what-he-needs-to-defeat-coronavirus/

14 hours ago, anatess2 said:

@Scott @JohnsonJones

Read this.

The American Mind has a right wing bias in the same manner that CNN has a left wing bias.  So if you're getting info from CNN, The American Mind is par for the course with you.  All information in this article is verifiable so you can go play fetch.

https://americanmind.org/features/the-coronacrisis-and-our-future-discontents/trump-has-what-he-needs-to-defeat-coronavirus/

Actually, I haven't gotten any of my information from CNN.

I've gotten it from several various sites my university has had access to as well as various other discussion arenas which bring up articles and other items of interest.

The news from popular sites that I've actually read in general (there are more, but not many) on this overall have been from Fox News (which has actually been accused of downplaying this), articles via Yahoonews, and the WSJ.

Ironically I turn to CNN when @Vort posts some topic poking at an article via CNN but otherwise haven't actually read CNN all that much or even watch it over the past month.  I DO read the articles which Vort posts though when I click on the links OR look up the title of the article and such.  Overall, CNN is not my primary source of news though or even one of the major ones.  I DO watch/listen BBC and SkyNews quite a bit though.  There is also this new station called Newsy or something that I've occasionally turned onto over the past few weeks.

Interesting article.  It appears that they list a lot of testing being done which the Administration still is not really doing on their own.  I'm not sure how serious social distancing is being utilized either.

In related information, not that it's good news, but different, is that I could have the Flu as it seems that's been going around.  Flu actually has been on the rise over the past few months, and though COV2-SARS is predicted to surpass it in daily deaths within the next weeks, in the past months more deaths have been attributed to the Flu than the current strain of Coronavirus making the news.  I'd have thought I'd have had a fever with the flu, but I suppose not all cases get that?

Not that this is good news if I have it (though mortality rate for my age I believe is lower for the flu than COVID) as I still would have to get through it, but perhaps all this social distancing is decreasing Flu sicknesses as well.  I'm not sure why I have the flu since I got the flu shot, though maybe this is one of the strains that were not covered by the shot?

Some Predictions are thinking the daily death rate from COVID will surpass the flu within the week though.  Also predictions that the US will be the #1 nation with cases in the next week or two, as well as being the nation to avoid/isolate and ban travel from (for those that did not already in the same way they did to China).

UK has done a lockdown at this point.

I don't know what the future holds.  In good news, some members found TP at the gas station and donated it to me.  Strange finding it there...but apparently they had a LOT of it for sale.

Edited by JohnsonJones

Guest Scott
23 hours ago, anatess2 said:

CNN reports fake news that 2 people died because of the CoVID-19 vaccine and made sure the headline stated - "CoVID-19 vaccine causes death to 2 after Trump endorses it".  

?

When did CNN report this?