$2 Trillion CARE Act

anatess2

During the 2016 campaign, Trump made a statement that he will make changes to the government structure to put the USA on the path to eliminating the National Debt.  He even said it is possible it will be eliminated by the end of his 2nd term.

This is moving the needle to the opposite direction.  Promises Made, Promises Kept - not this time, Trump.  Sad face.

Dig in.  Good luck.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/3548/text

3 hours ago, anatess2 said:

During the 2016 campaign, Trump made a statement that he will make changes to the government structure to put the USA on the path to eliminating the National Debt.  He even said it is possible it will be eliminated by the end of his 2nd term.

This is moving the needle to the opposite direction.  Promises Made, Promises Kept - not this time, Trump.  Sad face.

Dig in.  Good luck.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/3548/text

I actually agree.

There were two things that really kind of made me upset during the Obama Administration (well, actually more than that, but I'm talking about two right now). 

The first was how much money the government was spending without balancing it.  The Republicans at the time were all about a balanced budget and reigning in spending or otherwise balancing it out so we didn't go into debt like we were.

The second though was how they handled it.  I had a son-in-law in the military (m daughter is married to him) and a few of the Republicans decided to shut down the government if they had too.  This could have meant that my SIL would have had to still do his job (defending our nation) but without the assurances of his family being taken care of financially.  I HEAVILY disliked those who promoted this idea (one reason why I haven't liked Cruz at all since then.  In my opinion he has no respect for our military or those serving in it) even if some of the ideas they have had I would probably agree with.

With the Republicans taking charge a hope was that, now that they were in charge they would enact the ideas they had previously.  Instead, not only have we had a bigger shutdown, but at the same time we have seemingly gone the exact opposite direction.  They seem to be going into debt even faster than the Democrats were!!!

To me, in many instances it seems that both parties really want the same things or very similar, they only say the opposite thing because that's what people want to hear.  When they are in power, they simply continue doing what the other party was doing before that.

That said, I still want the Military and our Veterans taken care of, but there has to be a way to balance our budget without going trillions of dollars more in debt every year.

On the Bill itself, surprisingly exact.  Many Bills tend to have everything under the sun tossed in them, this one seems to be more succinct in some ways.  They cover a lot of stuff though.

Edited by JohnsonJones

3 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

The Republicans at the time were all about a balanced budget and reigning in spending or otherwise balancing it out so we didn't go into debt like we were.

Yes, they were.  Or they made you THINK they were.  Gingrich was still a voice in that racket and Paul Ryan had this grand scheme of saving Social Security.

The second though was how they handled it.  I had a son-in-law in the military (m daughter is married to him) and a few of the Republicans decided to shut down the government if they had too.  This could have meant that my SIL would have had to still do his job (defending our nation) but without the assurances of his family being taken care of financially.  I HEAVILY disliked those who promoted this idea (one reason why I haven't liked Cruz at all since then.  In my opinion he has no respect for our military or those serving in it) even if some of the ideas they have had I would probably agree with.

And this is the problem...

It's great talking about balancing the budget until YOU (general, not you in specific) get impacted by the austerity measures to achieve it.  And that's why it never happens.

With the Republicans taking charge a hope was that, now that they were in charge they would enact the ideas they had previously.   

Of course they won't.  Because... they want something to take to their constituents to say - look at all these goodies I got for you!

The Republicans held the House for 6 years of Obama's 8 years.  Instead of putting brakes on spending, it became a battle between Tea Party and the rest of the Republicans.  Tea Party lost, budget remains unbalanced.

Instead, not only have we had a bigger shutdown, but at the same time we have seemingly gone the exact opposite direction.  They seem to be going into debt even faster than the Democrats were!!!

That ain't the truth my man.... The Dems held a majority in Congress plus a President and a flip-flopping Supreme Court.  After that you had 4 years of Split Congress then 2 years of Republican Congress.

(Anything before FY2010 is W Bush's budget)

FY 2010: Obama's first budget created a $1.294 trillion deficit.

FY 2011: This budget deficit was $1.300 trillion. Defense spending hit $854.5 billion. 

*** FY 2012 is the first Republican House budget after they took majority in 2010)

FY 2012: The deficit was $1.087 trillion. 

FY 2013: This was the first Obama budget where the deficit, $679 billion, was less than $1 trillion. Sequestration forced a 10% cut in spending.

FY 2014: The deficit was $485 billion. Tax revenue rose to $3.02 trillion.

FY 2015: The deficit fell further to $438 billion.

*** FY 2016 is the full Republican Congress budget after they took majority in 2014)

FY 2016: The deficit rose to $585 billion. Congress had added $58.6 billion to pay for the war in Afghanistan.

FY 2017: The deficit was $665 billion.  It was $162 billion more than the $503 billion deficit estimated in Obama's budget request.

*** FY 2018 is the first Trump Budget with a Republican Congress and the brain child of Paul Ryan.

FY 2018:  The deficit was $779 billion.  $114 billion more than FY 2017 and included the tax cuts and increased defense spending.

FY 2019:  The deficit was $984 billion.  We're almost back to the Trillion level of the Democrat Congress.

*** FY 2020 is a Democrat House and a Republican Senate Budget.

FY 2020:  The estimated deficit is $1.02 trillion.  That's BEFORE the CoVID-19 stimulus.  Shocking, I know.

To me, in many instances it seems that both parties really want the same things or very similar, they only say the opposite thing because that's what people want to hear.  When they are in power, they simply continue doing what the other party was doing before that.

There is a reason people tend to split Congress.  They seem to do better with that kind of structure because nobody runs away with the purse.

That said, I still want the Military and our Veterans taken care of, but there has to be a way to balance our budget without going trillions of dollars more in debt every year.

Feds should stay out of ANY OTHER SPENDING except for National Defense, Immigration, International Trade, and Inter-State Commerce Infastructure.

Everything else should be State funded.

On the Bill itself, surprisingly exact.  Many Bills tend to have everything under the sun tossed in them, this one seems to be more succinct in some ways.  They cover a lot of stuff though.

I haven't had time to wade through all of them.  I don't know how it went from $1.2T to $2T.

Edited by anatess2