Sign in to follow this  
Backroads

Do you include COBRA costs in your emergency savings?

To begin, we are not at this point. We both are still employed (technically, yours truly was told she was getting dropped due to low enrollment, a month ago, haven't seen paperwork yet, but anyway is covered through the summer.)

However, with all the talk these days of "did you save enough for emergencies?" got me thinking. My daughter's meds cost more in a month than I make in a year.

In your 30 day-3 month-6-month-what have you emergency fund stash, do you factor in the coat of COBRA or other insurance?

On 3/27/2020 at 5:25 AM, Backroads said:

In your 30 day-3 month-6-month-what have you emergency fund stash, do you factor in the coat of COBRA or other insurance?

Absolutely.  If you're going to spend money on it while unemployed, you add it to the total that you are saving up against.  Same for life insurance premiums, car payments, cell phones and data plans, etc.  

Edited by NeuroTypical

On 3/27/2020 at 5:25 AM, Backroads said:

Absolutely.  If you're going to spend money on it while unemployed, you add it to the total that you are saving up against. Same for life insurance premiums, cell phones and data plans, car payments, etc.