I'm so excited!

mikbone

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2018/04/be-with-and-strengthen-them?lang=eng

I have though about the first minute of this talk over the past 2 years, and in conjunction with President Nelson's comments such as:

"General conference next April will be different from any previous conference. In the next six months, I hope that every member and every family will prepare for a unique conference that will commemorate the very foundations of the restored gospel."

"Immerse yourself in the glorious light of the Restoration. As you do, general conference next April will be not only memorable; it will be unforgettable."

And using the term restoration repeatedly.

I have a feeling that this weekend will be special.

I believe that Elder Holland's comment about rush of revelation was not only referring to the material that was shared with the Church back in April 2018, but also with the material that the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve have been preparing to share with us this weekend.  

#conferenceready

Edited by mikbone

48 minutes ago, mikbone said:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2018/04/be-with-and-strengthen-them?lang=eng

I have though about the first minute of this talk over the past 2 years, and in conjunction with President Nelson's comments such as:

"General conference next April will be different from any previous conference. In the next six months, I hope that every member and every family will prepare for a unique conference that will commemorate the very foundations of the restored gospel."

"Immerse yourself in the glorious light of the Restoration. As you do, general conference next April will be not only memorable; it will be unforgettable."

And using the term restoration repeatedly.

I have a feeling that this weekend will be special.

I believe that Elder Holland's comment about rush of revelation was not only referring to the material that was shared with the Church back in April 2018, but also with the material that the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve have been preparing to share with us this weekend.  

#conferenceready

Amen brother. I've been super excited to see General Conference. Whether it's earthshaking new revelation, or just the soothing message of comfort from Christ in these times of uncertainty and fear, I am really looking forward to it. I've been blessed with a lot of spiritual growth over the last six months, so either way it's been unforgettable to me☺.

Edited by Midwest LDS

Just now, Just_A_Guy said:

It will be interesting to see whether they announce the canonization of new scripture, and if so, how the vote for that is handled (and the ensuing response from the perennial malcontents).

President Oaks: "...All in favor, please raise your right hand. [All members of the First Presidency raise their hands] All opposed, by the same sign. President Nelson, the voting appears to be unanimous."

5 minutes ago, Vort said:

President Oaks: "...All in favor, please raise your right hand. [All members of the First Presidency raise their hands] All opposed, by the same sign. President Nelson, the voting appears to be unanimous."

“Those who voted ‘opposed’ are encouraged to meet with their stake presidents—if they caaaaaan.  Bwahahahahaha! [Mic abruptly cuts out.]”

Edited by Just_A_Guy

I am excited for this conference in the same light and manner I have been looking forward to all previous general conferences since 1995. We will hear the voice of the Lord through his servants (prophets, apostles, seers, and revelators). What a wonderful day and age we live in.

1 hour ago, Anddenex said:

I am excited for this conference in the same light and manner I have been looking forward to all previous general conferences since 1995

I and another guy from my school were once auditioning for professional level Drumline. I told him “dude, I have been practicing like 3 hours every day for this audition!” 

he then said “I practice 3 hours a day even when there is no audition”

Ya...No one liked him.

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

I'm not expecting anything different than what we normally receive every six months:  The word of the Lord through His chosen Oracles.  Could/Should we ask for anything more?

You may be surprised this time my friend. 

The Church is like a great caravan—organized, prepared, following an appointed course, with its captains of tens and captains of hundreds all in place.

What does it matter if a few barking dogs snap at the heels of the weary travelers? Or that predators claim those few who fall by the way? The caravan moves on.

Is there a ravine to cross, a miry mud hole to pull through, a steep grade to climb? So be it. The oxen are strong and the teamsters wise. The caravan moves on.

Are there storms that rage along the way, floods that wash away the bridges, deserts to cross, and rivers to ford? Such is life in this fallen sphere. The caravan moves on.

Ahead is the celestial city, the eternal Zion of our God, where all who maintain their position in the caravan shall find food and drink and rest.

-Bruce R. McConkie, The Caravan Moves On, October 1984 General Conference.

25 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

You may be surprised this time my friend. 

I've always been surprised, my friend.  There are two ways we can look at something to "shake" us out of our slumber (a-la Benson's "Awaken to our Awful State").

• I believe that we have been on a straight trajectory ever since the Church was established.  We're finally being shown with the mirror of reality just how far society has gone from the Lord's word.  And we will find that difference startling.
  • It may be that while trying to keep our roots firm, our branches have bent and swayed towards the worldly path.  It is time to either snap the branches or snap the invisible chords that bind those branches to the world.

Either of things would certainly be "earthshaking".  But it would not be surprising.  Everything that we will learn today and tomorrow will be what we've been told and possibly preparing for since the restoration.  We're locked and loaded.  It won't be a surprise.  It will be expected.  We're waiting (hoping) for it.

The thing is that each conference is a wealth of knowledge.  It seems that they're saying the same things from the same scriptures, emphasizing the same principles.  And on some level, they do.  But they do say something different each time.  And I find it refreshing every six months.

20 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I've always been surprised, my friend.  There are two ways we can look at something to "shake" us out of our slumber (a-la Benson's "Awaken to our Awful State").

• I believe that we have been on a straight trajectory ever since the Church was established.  We're finally being shown with the mirror of reality just how far society has gone from the Lord's word.  And we will find that difference startling.
  • It may be that while trying to keep our roots firm, our branches have bent and swayed towards the worldly path.  It is time to either snap the branches or snap the invisible chords that bind those branches to the world.

Either of things would certainly be "earthshaking".  But it would not be surprising.  Everything that we will learn today and tomorrow will be what we've been told and possibly preparing for since the restoration.  We're locked and loaded.  It won't be a surprise.  It will be expected.  We're waiting (hoping) for it.

The thing is that each conference is a wealth of knowledge.  It seems that they're saying the same things from the same scriptures, emphasizing the same principles.  And on some level, they do.  But they do say something different each time.  And I find it refreshing every six months.

I never thought I would see the things I have seen over the last few years. It is very invigorating.

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I'm not expecting anything different than what we normally receive every six months:  The word of the Lord through His chosen Oracles.  Could/Should we ask for anything more?

Wait...are my eyes deceiving me?   Wooooohooooooo

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Why am I getting a vibe that "Ordain Women" is going to get a present this conference?

Depends on what it is.  Unsure what you mean by that.  If it is going against the teachings of Peter, Paul, how things were shown in the Book of Mormon (only men were ordained in the Book of Mormon and did Priesthood ordinances, in fact, it focused so much on their activities women are not mentioned much at all one could say), how things are inferred upon in the Law of Moses and who were the Priests in Jewish tradition, custom, and teachings (even if not explicit in the scriptures, it's pretty clear), and how it's been taught in the past in the Church itself...

I'm not sure what I will do or act.

On the otherhand, if it is a rebuke to them in some way...and to make us feel more secure that we will be following the Lord more...I'll probably feel more comfortable.

It makes me uncomfortable all the talk about things like this.  It was seen as High apostasy to push things like (ordaining women to the priesthood in the same fashion as men in making them deacons, teachers, priests and elders and/or having them act in the same offices there of) this when I joined, so yes, I'm a old person...but stuff like this was instilled that it was extremely past the point of apostasy at those times.  So, when people infer it and it suddenly doesn't seem like it would be an impossible thing to see them declare...I feel a distinct loss of the spirit and a darkness encroach...which is a VERY uncomfortable feeling to me.

Edited by JohnsonJones
Clarity.

Solemn assemblies are special, sacred meetings held for a variety of holy purposes. They require Latter-day Saints to bring an elevated sense of spirituality with them into the meeting. These assemblies have included the sustaining of new Church presidents, the dedication of a temple or another significant building (such as the Conference Center), the introduction of new scripture, the instruction of priesthood leaders and other special gatherings. 

Shoutout to @HiJolly, who totally called the Hosanna Anthem thing.  (Being one of the Artists Formerly Known as MoTab doesn’t hurt . . .)

The solemn assembly suggests *something* big is about to happen.  I wouldn’t *completely* rule out women getting the priesthood; but I would expect the sustaining of such an announcement would come on Saturday (like the sustaining of OD-2), not Sunday.  And it should be noted that when the revelation was received giving priesthood to blacks, it was announced nearly immediately—they didn’t wait for the next conference.

I’m betting on new scripture.  And though I’ve made several remarks about canonizing the POTF over the years and would be delighted if it happened—I suspect that whatever they announce will have more of a warm-fuzzy feel and less a call to repentance.  Maybe something like the Living Christ, or a humanitarian call to action.

Edited by Just_A_Guy