America First in Covid-19 fight

Emmanuel Goldstein

On 4/4/2020 at 9:38 AM, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

To quote "Cera":

You're so SELFISH!  What about me?  I'm STILL HUNGRY!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I am somewhat surprised that Utah is not highlighted more in all the considering of things associated with COVID 19.  Among other things the death rate (using the JHU data) is about 1/6 of other places in the USA but almost 1/3 of the deaths registered in Utah are non-residents of the state that happened to have died here?????

One possibility - but there does not seem to be any breakdown of the information in Utah - is that COVID 19 deaths are culturally and race related.

Something else of interest is that COVID 19 seems to hit hardest among those with health issues.  What is interesting to me is that I know some people that live in New York City that claim New Yorkers are heather that most Americans (especially less overweight - because of all the walking).  But I have seen reports that drinking (alcohol) weakens the immune system.

The Traveler

46 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Wait, what???

There are reports going around regarding things that are normally not spoken of in the press.  It would appear a pattern in some areas has appeared where certain minority groups and economic groups are being hit much harder by the virus than others.

Many are painting it in the measure that it shows the disparity of economic equality as their idea of why, and painting it via the idea of some rather Marxist ideas that are appearing in the media, though thus far they have not really backed up why. 

Some have stated it is due to the culture of some groups to mix and meet (even despite the stay at home/isolation orders) more than others, but still in the idea of economic equality and disparity, even while indicating a more racist bent that it is due to a racial component of culture.

Some are simply trying to say the rich can be treated more easily than the poor, or that this is a show of the rich and the poor.

They haven't provided WHY this is though.  As far as I know this disease (and most diseases) don't really show any favoritism based on economic class, and most of what the hospitals are doing are for symptoms rather than curing the disease itself at this point (in my understanding).

Edit: I think they MAY be suggesting that the poor don't go to get medical help and so the symptoms are killing more of them, or something to that effect, but most of those that we have been counting are those that get to the hospital thus far.  Except for NY, I'm not aware of many house to house searches thus far for dead bodies of those who may have died alone at home.

Edited by JohnsonJones

59 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

There are reports going around regarding things that are normally not spoken of in the press.  It would appear a pattern in some areas has appeared where certain minority groups and economic groups are being hit much harder by the virus than others.

I've seen a crapton of media accounts about this, and the president has addressed it in several of his briefings.  Our African American Surgeon General reached out specifically to minority groups in one of the recent briefings.

Yes indeed, poor people are hit harder by COVID, because poor people have greater per-capita people in poor health/comorbidity conditions.  And blacks and minorities are hit harder too, because they're poorer in greater numbers, and have higher rates of heart and other medical issues.  Plus, any group with a lower demographic education level, no matter what the race or income, will, well, be too dumb to be washing their hands and social distancing.  

So yes, it's infecting certain groups in greater numbers, and some groups die in greater numbers than others.  

The surgeon general's comments are well worth a watch.