Sharing and learning about personal revelation

One of the strong themes from the Saturday morning session was the necessity of personal revelation. This has been a strong theme from President Nelson since he was called as President. So perhaps we can do as the scriptures have taught and counsel together on this topic. What wisdom, experience, and counsel do you have that you could share here that might help others better learn how to seek, receive and act on personal revelation? It seems really clear that this is something that we all really need to get better at.

2 hours ago, askandanswer said:

One of the strong themes from the Saturday morning session was the necessity of personal revelation. This has been a strong theme from President Nelson since he was called as President. So perhaps we can do as the scriptures have taught and counsel together on this topic. What wisdom, experience, and counsel do you have that you could share here that might help others better learn how to seek, receive and act on personal revelation? It seems really clear that this is something that we all really need to get better at.

I believe and have experience that everyone has a spiritual gift or as otherwise said - gift of the spirit.  Moroni speaks directly to this in Moroni chapter 10 right after talking about personal revelation to know that the Book of Mormon is true.  Moroni uses the word "exhort" several times.  I believe that through personal revelation we can recognize the spiritual gifts in others and be uplifted through their spiritual gifts.  But it would seem that many argue because they think their spiritual gifts afford them greater revelation concerning some point of doctrine when someone with a different spiritual gift brings something in addition to the table.

The Traveler

Abraham 1: 2, 1 Nephi 10: 17, 1 Nephi 11: 1-6, and Doctrine and Covenants 8: 2-3.

I personally believe that we as members have made hearing/receiving personal revelation more confusing than it is. The Lord speaks to all of us the same way (the fruits may be different). From scripture these are the ways communication from heaven is received:

1) Holy Ghost (most common)

2) Visions and Dreams

3) Instruction from ministering angels (even the Son)

What interferes with hearing the voice of the Lord and receiving revelation:

1) Pride > I want my will received rather than hear what the Lord is trying to tell me

2) Sin > An unwillingness to give up sins (Lamoni's father was willing to give up "all" his sins to know God)

3) Mental state, which can correlate with #1

I have found understanding of this verse to personally unlock my personal revelation.  

D&C 9

7 Behold, you have not understood; you have supposed that I would give it unto you, when you took no thought save it was to ask me.

8 But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right.

9 But if it be not right you shall have no such feelings, but you shall have a stupor of thought that shall cause you to forget the thing which is wrong; therefore, you cannot write that which is sacred save it be given you from me.

If you want the receive personal revelation about the Atonement, then first learn about the Atonement.  Read about it in the scriptures.  Then find additional commentary by the General Authorities.  Study it out in your mind - thoroughly.  Then live by its precepts.  After you have put in the work - then ask.  

This is how it works for me.   The answers may come during or after a prayer.  Or during a moment of pondering.   

• 2 months later...
On 4/5/2020 at 2:04 PM, Anddenex said:

What interferes with hearing the voice of the Lord and receiving revelation:

1) Pride > I want my will received rather than hear what the Lord is trying to tell me

2) Sin > An unwillingness to give up sins (Lamoni's father was willing to give up "all" his sins to know God)

3) Mental state, which can correlate with #1

I would add a fourth: the devil appearing as an angel of light, giving a false revelation.

19 hours ago, Jonah said:

I would add a fourth: the devil appearing as an angel of light, giving a false revelation.

Are these false revelations always accompanied by a (pretended) angelic messenger or do they also come through other media that otherwise seem bona fide?

How can a disciple of Christ discern between true revelation and counterfeits?

On 6/12/2020 at 4:31 PM, Jonah said:

Thanks for the addition; however, I am not sure I would consider that as "interfering" with hearing the voice of the Lord and receiving personal revelation. For example:

1) When Christ was upon the earth he was visited by an angel of light (even the devil) himself. Did this cause any interference with receiving revelation from the Father, or knowing his father's voice? No.

2) When Moses received a marvelous vision immediately afterward he was visited by an angel of light, Satan. Moses had this to say to this angel of light, "Who art thou? For behold, I am a son of God, in the similitude of his Only Begotten; and where is thy glory, that I should worship thee?"

When an individual has seen true glory, it is easier to recognize an angel of light from a messenger of God. Unless of course, someone truly believes there are only angels of light (deceivers) and no messengers from God ever sent (i.e. Gabriel announcing Christ's birth and many other experiences in our scriptures), then maybe there is a valid point.

In either of these scenarios, the angel of light (devil) did not interfere with hearing the voice of the Lord. This would go into a different category.

On 6/14/2020 at 1:42 AM, Anddenex said:

1) When Christ was upon the earth he was visited by an angel of light (even the devil) himself. Did this cause any interference with receiving revelation from the Father, or knowing his father's voice? No.

Why does the devil need to disguise himself as an angel of light (2 Corinthians 11:14)?

On 6/13/2020 at 2:34 PM, mordorbund said:

Are these false revelations always accompanied by a (pretended) angelic messenger or do they also come through other media that otherwise seem bona fide?

How can a disciple of Christ discern between true revelation and counterfeits?

6 hours ago, Jonah said:

With scripture.

Thanks for the response @Jonah. Can you address the first question also?

11 hours ago, Jonah said:

Why does the devil need to disguise himself as an angel of light (2 Corinthians 11:14)?

Could you clarify this post?  The question seems rhetorical as if to say "The devil does NOT disguise himself as an angel of light."  Then you point to a verse that says he does indeed do so.  I don't get it.

11 hours ago, Jonah said:

The scripture provided, I would think, is better understood with the verse before it, "For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ." The verse you share reads as, "And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light."

In both verses of scripture the word "transformed" is used. How would a man (who is not an apostle) "transform" himself into an apostle? How then does Satan (who is not an angel of light -- better said glory) "transform" himself into an angel of light?

Why then does anyone pretend to be something they are not? Notice the words in Moses experience when the Devil appears before him as an angel of light, "Moses, son of man, worship me."

Isn't the answer obvious?

On 6/17/2020 at 3:20 PM, NeuroTypical said:

"need to"?  What translation of the bible conveys the notion that he does it because he needs to?

@Carborendum

@Anddenex

The word disguised (ESV) conveys the meaning.  The KJV uses transforms. For example: if you visit your
friend, you don't disguise or transform yourself.

I'll quote more of the KJV passage for context:

For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And
no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his
ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their
works

Edited by Jonah
added extra person

On 6/19/2020 at 10:27 AM, Jonah said:

@Carborendum

Yes, that is how I understood the passage..  But what I had difficulty understanding (and I'm asking for clarification) was that when it was juxtaposed with your question it seemed contradictory.  So, let me make an attempt at clarification.

• It seemed your question made the point that the Devil does NOT need to disguise himself as an angel of light by asking the rhetorical question:

Why does the devil need to disguise himself as an angel of light?

• The scripture says he DOES disguise himself as an angel of light. (2 Corinthians 11:14)

Are either of these bullet points misunderstandings on my part?

If I have understood these statements, then can you understand why they seem contradictory?  i.e. your statement seems to contradict very scripture you referenced.  So, if I have misunderstood your points, I've asked for clarification.

Edited by Carborendum

7 hours ago, Jonah said:

@Carborendum

@Anddenex

The word disguised (ESV) conveys the meaning.  The KJV uses transforms. For example: if you visit your
friend, you don't disguise or transform yourself.

I'll quote more of the KJV passage for context:

For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And
no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his
ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their
works

Yes, in my previous response I provided the following verse from the KJV,:

The scripture provided, I would think, is better understood with the verse before it, "For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ." The verse you share reads as, "And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.