askandanswer

Sharing and learning about personal revelation

One of the strong themes from the Saturday morning session was the necessity of personal revelation. This has been a strong theme from President Nelson since he was called as President. So perhaps we can do as the scriptures have taught and counsel together on this topic. What wisdom, experience, and counsel do you have that you could share here that might help others better learn how to seek, receive and act on personal revelation? It seems really clear that this is something that we all really need to get better at.

2 hours ago, askandanswer said:

One of the strong themes from the Saturday morning session was the necessity of personal revelation. This has been a strong theme from President Nelson since he was called as President. So perhaps we can do as the scriptures have taught and counsel together on this topic. What wisdom, experience, and counsel do you have that you could share here that might help others better learn how to seek, receive and act on personal revelation? It seems really clear that this is something that we all really need to get better at.

I believe and have experience that everyone has a spiritual gift or as otherwise said - gift of the spirit.  Moroni speaks directly to this in Moroni chapter 10 right after talking about personal revelation to know that the Book of Mormon is true.  Moroni uses the word "exhort" several times.  I believe that through personal revelation we can recognize the spiritual gifts in others and be uplifted through their spiritual gifts.  But it would seem that many argue because they think their spiritual gifts afford them greater revelation concerning some point of doctrine when someone with a different spiritual gift brings something in addition to the table.

The Traveler

First and foremost if you want to receive personal revelation from the Lord you have to be taking seriously the revelations God has already revealed. These can be found in the scriptures, words of modern prophets, etc. If we don't take those seriously God is less inclined to impart more.

Abraham 1: 2, 1 Nephi 10: 17, 1 Nephi 11: 1-6, and Doctrine and Covenants 8: 2-3.

I personally believe that we as members have made hearing/receiving personal revelation more confusing than it is. The Lord speaks to all of us the same way (the fruits may be different). From scripture these are the ways communication from heaven is received:

1) Holy Ghost (most common)

2) Visions and Dreams

3) Instruction from ministering angels (even the Son)

What interferes with hearing the voice of the Lord and receiving revelation:

1) Pride > I want my will received rather than hear what the Lord is trying to tell me

2) Sin > An unwillingness to give up sins (Lamoni's father was willing to give up "all" his sins to know God)

3) Mental state, which can correlate with #1

I have found understanding of this verse to personally unlock my personal revelation.  

D&C 9

7 Behold, you have not understood; you have supposed that I would give it unto you, when you took no thought save it was to ask me.

8 But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right.

9 But if it be not right you shall have no such feelings, but you shall have a stupor of thought that shall cause you to forget the thing which is wrong; therefore, you cannot write that which is sacred save it be given you from me.

If you want the receive personal revelation about the Atonement, then first learn about the Atonement.  Read about it in the scriptures.  Then find additional commentary by the General Authorities.  Study it out in your mind - thoroughly.  Then live by its precepts.  After you have put in the work - then ask.  

This is how it works for me.   The answers may come during or after a prayer.  Or during a moment of pondering.