April 2020 General Conference Discussion Thread

If I may wax rhapsodic for a moment:

It was quite poignant to hear the coordinated hymn at the end.  Y'all know it felt cool for me to hear it in Korean.

I was quite struck by the Spirit as we heard all the nations change to English at the end.  It dawned on me that the message was that we are fulfilling Joseph Smith's prophecy of the Standard of Truth.  And we are coming together to be unified in the faith.  We are all one people.

...he inviteth them all to come unto him and partake of his goodness; and he denieth none that come unto him, black and white, bond and free, male and female; and he remembereth the heathen; and all are alike unto God, both Jew and Gentile.

-- 2 Ne 26:33

As the end of the Book of Mormon describes the separation of people into tribes, we see that happening today.  The partisanship in the US is only a small part of what is going on in the world.  The whole world is separating and isolating.  The cancel culture is only a symptom.  But the Church IS OUR TRIBE.  And instead of separating, we are coming together from all over the world.

I realize that "We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet" is usually aimed at our current prophet ("to guide us in these latter days").  But this particular expression seemed to me as an homage to ALL modern prophets, and particularly to the Prophet of the Restoration.  Did anyone else feel that?

4 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

Post image

Can you imagine lugging that thing around?

In seriousness, I believe that the logo will be smaller and have the missionary name to the side.  The logo might need to be modified to have the Christus and arch symbol to one side while essentially having the traditional tag information to the side of the symbol.

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

If I may wax rhapsodic for a moment:

It was quite poignant to hear the coordinated hymn at the end.  Y'all know it felt cool for me to hear it in Korean.

I was quite struck by the Spirit as we heard all the nations change to English at the end.  It dawned on me that the message was that we are fulfilling Joseph Smith's prophecy of the Standard of Truth.  And we are coming together to be unified in the faith.  We are all one people.

As the end of the Book of Mormon describes the separation of people into tribes, we see that happening today.  The partisanship in the US is only a small part of what is going on in the world.  The whole world is separating and isolating.  The cancel culture is only a symptom.  But the Church IS OUR TRIBE.  And instead of separating, we are coming together from all over the world.

I realize that "We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet" is usually aimed at our current prophet ("to guide us in these latter days").  But this particular expression seemed to me as an homage to ALL modern prophets, and particularly to the Prophet of the Restoration.  Did anyone else feel that?

The song is only about the prophet at the beginning. It is about the lord.

1. We thank thee, O God, for a prophet
To guide us in these latter days.
We thank thee (God) for sending the gospel
To lighten our minds with its rays.
We thank thee (God) for every blessing
Bestowed by thy (Gods) bounteous hand.
We feel it a pleasure to serve thee (God)
And love to obey thy (God’s) command.

2. When dark clouds of trouble hang o’er us
And threaten our peace to destroy,
There is hope smiling brightly before us, (God)
And we know that deliv’rance is nigh.
We doubt not the Lord nor his (God’s) goodness.
We’ve proved him (God) in days that are past.
The wicked who fight against Zion
Will surely be smitten at last.

3. We’ll sing of his (God’s) goodness and mercy.
We’ll praise him (God) by day and by night,
Rejoice in his (God’s) glorious gospel,
And bask in its life-giving light.
Thus on to eternal perfection
The honest and faithful will go,
While they who reject this glad message
Shall never such happiness know.

i am amazed how many members think this about the prophet and not god.

Edited by Emmanuel Goldstein

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

Good to see you, Carb.

I felt the same as you regarding this moment from conference (I was so hoping to hear some Slavic singing). But, my feelings during this hymn was that we weren't singing so much about Joseph or our current prophet, but about our Prophet, our King, our Savior. 

23 minutes ago, brotherofJared said:

Well. The title isn't misleading is it?

Not at all. "We thank thee, o God, for a prophet [and for a bunch of other stuff listed herein]". This is a hymn of thanks to God for his many blessings, a few of which were specified.

Guest Scott

As far as "We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet" goes, I remember learning that it is one of two hymns that aren't sung in the Temple.  The other is "Praise to the Man"

That is because the focus is supposed to be solely on Christ (though messengers are still mentioned in the temple).

Unfortunately I can't fond a source for that on the church website and don't know if it official policy.

Does anyone know?  I'm just curious.

43 minutes ago, Scott said:

As far as "We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet" goes, I remember learning that it is one of two hymns that aren't sung in the Temple.  The other is "Praise to the Man"

That is because the focus is supposed to be solely on Christ (though messengers are still mentioned in the temple).

Unfortunately I can't fond a source for that on the church website and don't know if it official policy.

Does anyone know?  I'm just curious.

pretty sure that is false

I’m 90% positive that it has nothing to do with the content and everything thing to do with the tempo and intensity. I don’t think I have ever heard Master the Tempest is Raging, Battle Hymn of the Republic, Called to Serve, or Count your Blessings. There is another song that starts with a heavy triplet melody intro on the piano but I can’t for the life of me remember what it is. 

(The song is “God of our Fathers, whose almighty hand”)

Edited by Fether