Gather all things in one

laronius

The topic of my post is this one paragraph from the proclamation on the restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ: 

"We gladly declare that the promised restoration goes forward through continuing revelation. The Earth will never again be the same, as God will "'gather together in one all things in Christ.'" (Ephesians 1:10)

Here is John Taylor's definition of this scripture:

We have come into this world to accomplish a certain purpose, and we have come in the dispensation of the fulness of times, when God decreed to gather all things together into one, whether they be things in heaven or on earth; Eph. 1:10 and everything that has been in existence in any age of the world, or that is, or will be, which is calculated to benefit and exalt man, we shall have; consequently it is for us to look after anything and everything that ever has been true, or that has ever been developed in any period of the history of man, for it all belongs to us, and has got to be restored, for restitution means bringing back that which is lost. If the Antediluvians enjoyed anything that was good, true, and eternal, which is not yet made known to us, it has to be restored; or if anything existed among the ancient Patriarchs and Prophets, that has been lost, it has to be restored. If there are any people of God upon any detached part of this world, they with it have got to be restored. God's word will also be gathered into one, and His people and the Jews will hear the words of the Nephites, and the Ten Tribes must hear the words of the Jews and Nephites, 2 Ne. 29:13-14 and God's people be gathered and be one. John 10:16 John 11:52 All things will be gathered in one, Eph. 1:10 and Zion be redeemed, the glory of God be revealed, and all flesh see it together. JD 1:221

So Pres Nelson has continually spoken of an ongoing Restoration. In that light and to see what that means to everyone I would like to ask: What is the last thing, to date, you consider as having been restored?

It is my personal view that restoration is a process rather than a completed event.  And so it was thought that a High Priest is greater than an Elder.  I remember in my youth that a seminary teacher wondered how a male priesthood holder could be active a loyal their entire life and never be ordained a High Priest.  I also remember from my youth that each ward used to have a quorum of 70's.  Even though the Melchizedek priesthood was restored almost 200 years ago there has been a restoration of knowledge of callings within the priesthood.

I am also a believer that this is a time of restoration of scientific knowledge as well as religion.  Our scientific knowledge has so exploded over the last 200 years that if someone writes a book - it's knowledge will be obsolete before it can be published.  I have wondered if certain things of science need to be restored before spiritual things so connected that such be gathered into one - requires that some scientific knowledge be restored before certain spiritual blessing can be restored.  So here is a thought -- will the life spans of almost 1,000 years that existed from Adam to the Flood be restored?  But for such long lives; is it possible that scientific genetic knowledge to slow the aging process need to be restored?

The Traveler

1. Home Teaching to Ministering.

2. The youth program that is now more goal oriented

3. The push (although already in scripture and Handbook) to recognize who presides in what quorums. And still we have leaders who are stuck in old ways.

4. The Family Proclamation, making sure specific doctrines are understood despite members of the Church who kick against the pricks with it.

2 minutes ago, Anddenex said:

4. The Family Proclamation, making sure specific doctrines are understood despite members of the Church who kick against the pricks with it.

👍 Nice.
Side tangent: A very nice, forward leaning sister (probably a member of ordain women) just told my wife what a great "Prophetess" she is.
Why? Because, months earlier my wife had given her primary kids a picture of the Christus. Now that it is part of the Church logo, you know that clearly = Prophetess

2 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

👍 Nice.
Side tangent: A very nice, forward leaning sister (probably a member of ordain women) just told my wife what a great "Prophetess" she is.
Why? Because, months earlier my wife had given her primary kids a picture of the Christus. Now that it is part of the Church logo, you know that clearly = Prophetess

Wow. Yes, I think part of the restoration is to clarify any points of doctrine that could be easily wrested without a specific declaration/proclamation that is clear and precise (doesn't mince words).

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

.I am also a believer that this is a time of restoration of scientific knowledge as well as religion. 

So do you have a different definition of restoration other than bringing back something that was lost or are you referring to the technology the aliens had while building the pyramids? 😆

5 hours ago, laronius said:

So do you have a different definition of restoration other than bringing back something that was lost or are you referring to the technology the aliens had while building the pyramids? 😆

Why do you think such?  Consider Ecclesiastes Chapter 1:

9 The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

10 Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us.

11 There is no remembrance of former things; neither shall there be any remembrance of things that are to come with those that shall come after.

The Traveler

When it comes to the Restoration I think of it in terms of breadth and depth (for lack of better terms). Depth has to do with what has been restored and breadth concerns how widely it has been disseminated. For example when knowledge of the Godhead was restored in the First Vision that concerned depth. But as missionaries began teaching about the Godhead that was breadth. To this day that knowledge is still being restored to different peoples and parts of the earth that do not have that truth. We are taught that when the Savior comes again the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the Lord. I believe this is a facet of the Restoration measured by it's breadth and part of the qualifiers behind Jehovah's declaration that the "work is done."