The Excuse of all Tyrants

Emmanuel Goldstein

2 hours ago, Vort said:

BYU "lot officers" are BYU students who write parking tickets and help with traffic control and radio communications at games, and are (or at least were, when I was a student at BYU) often derisively called "fake cops" by many BYU students. As a former lot officer, let me defend this "very intelligent individual anxious to use the little authority they [sic] were given". Unless there was an Official sticker on the car, there is no way a lot officer can know the car is legally parked. And lot officers are (or at least were in 1988) under strict instruction to ticket all vehicles parked in wrong stalls, and to tow away any vehicle parked outside a legitimate stall or in a handicapped stall.

Now, if the car had an Official parking pass or sticker, that's different. Those vehicles can park literally anywhere on campus that does not present an immediate hazard. They can park on the ASB lawn if they want, or across a sidewalk. The basic rule is (or was), You Don't Ticket Vehicles With Official Passes. So if that was the case, then the lot officer screwed up. But that's highly unlikely; the Official pass is the first thing the lot officer looks for*. So it's more likely that whoever parked the car neglected to call the BYU Police and tell them what was going on, which would then have been relayed to the lot officer. It's also possible, though again unlikely, that the BYU PD dispatch didn't contact the lot officer. Odds are that the lot officer did nothing wrong.

*Not actually true. The first thing a lot officer looks for is a parking ticket on the vehicle. If there's a ticket already on the vehicle, there is an approximately 100% chance that the lot officer will immediately go to the car and check the citation. This is because many people, having once received a citation, then believe they have been given a magic Get-Out-Of-Jail-Free card, allowing them to park wherever they wish without consequence. Doesn't work that way, though. If you want to be absolutely sure that a lot officer WILL come and check your car and WILL give you a ticket if you're parked in the wrong stall, put an old ticket under your windshield wiper. When you return to your car, you can be almost sure that a brand new ticket will be tucked right alongside your old one.

As I am reading this - I wonder if I may have been more of a cause for parking confusing at BYU.  When I was there as a student there was a $5 fine if a student parked in a facility or non-student parking spot.  But if a car was parked in a place not designated for parking the fine was $1.  So I would take a date to a basketball game in the old Smith Field House building; I would back up on the sidewalks through the tennis courts close to a south facing door - just not close enough to block the door.  I figured that such a privileged parking spot was worth $1.  All the other stuff you are talking about must have happened after I left.

One other story while I was at BYU.  There were a lot of vending machines on campus where you could purchase a candy bar or soda (just not cola).  Back then (in olden times) it was considered a grievous sin to purchase anything on the Sabbath.  So - early Sunday morning students were hired to use a chain and lock to place a piece of plywood on the front of the vending machine so students would not be tempted to break the Sabbath by purchasing something.  Then, late Sunday night the same students would unlock and remove the plywood.  Someone had the bright idea to write a letter to the editor of the campus "Universe" (News Paper) and ask why purchasing stuff on the Sabbath was a sin.  The administration, without thinking responded, "So someone would not have to work on the Sabbath".   Obviously someone had to work on the Sabbath to lock up the vending machines.  Earnest Wilkinson finely stepped in and solve the breaking Sabbath and ended the locking of the vending machines.

I loved attending BYU - I do not think I would have enjoyed any other college near as much.

The Traveler

Apparently, the woman in the video has apologized to the police.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/idaho-activist-apologizes-refusing-leave-playground-amid-coronavirus-pandemic

With all this sympathy for the police officer expressed on this thread (which I agree was appropriate) I believe the woman was not given enough sympathy.

she was on edge with the “constant stress" of being stuck at home and trying to take care of her cooped-up children, along with other responsibilities.

“However, this is not an excuse for my behavior and my part in what happened," she said, according to Boise's KBOI-TV. “I never thought a knee-jerk comment made to you out of frustration ... would create such a divide."

All's as it should be.  Move along show's over.

Edited by Carborendum

Guest Scott

Of note, the park wasn't closed.   They playground equipment in one part of the park was closed.  The rest of the park was open; they just needed to stay of the playground equipment since a bunch of different people would be touching it if it were open.  

4 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Apparently, the woman in the video has apologized to the police.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/idaho-activist-apologizes-refusing-leave-playground-amid-coronavirus-pandemic

With all this sympathy for the police officer expressed on this thread (which I agree was appropriate) I believe the woman was not given enough sympathy.

All's as it should be.  Move along show's over.

She got a bad reaction overall.  A brief blurb hit national news on Friday about this (probably because it included Ammon Bundy).  This was actually planned.  She was part of some sort of Freedom group and they planned this in order to cause a confrontation with the Police.  It was intentional.  AFTER this, Mr. Bundy led a protest...NOT to the Mayor's house...NOT to the City Council's houses...but to that specific Police Officer where they protested in front of his house in the evening.

It got very bad press.  The Freedom group she was a part of (or at least some of them) said they disapproved of her actions and Mr. Bundy's and never approved of that type of tactic in the first place. 

6 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I believe the woman was not given enough sympathy.

She deliberately provoked the confrontation.  She does not deserve  sympathy and her apology is nothing more then crocodile tears and damage control for when she appears before the judge.

On 4/22/2020 at 7:16 PM, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

There where two officers. One was apologetic and the other one was barking orders, and following orders that appear contrary to the law.

You mean, like, a good cop and a bad cop?

On 4/22/2020 at 1:40 PM, prisonchaplain said:

My sympathy is even greater for the state troopers that were ordered to issue $500 tickets to attendees of a drive-in church service, because Greenville, MS's mayor didn't like POTUS (though he claimed to be following direction from the governor's office).

It’s not that he doesn’t like POTUS; it’s that he doesn’t like (conservative?) religious people.

14 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

She deliberately provoked the confrontation.  She does not deserve  sympathy and her apology is nothing more then crocodile tears and damage control for when she appears before the judge.

I know nothing about this except what the press has reported, which means that I know essentially nothing about this. But (<--that word means that I'm going to offer an opinion despite having admitted I don't know what I'm talking about) I would think her best defense is to clam up publically, then when she's before the judge, vociferously plead her case of trying to exercise her God-given rights to free assembly in a public place blah blah blah. In such a case, I might suspect that the judge would roll his eyes and just dismiss the case because he wants to have this unpleasantness over with and doesn't want to risk a Constitutionally based appeal to a guilty verdict.

For her to actually say that she was wrong and that she's sorry substantially weakens any leverage she might have had in court. I can't think of one strategic reason why she would think it a good idea to issue a public mea culpa. I'm left thinking that, after considering what happened, she honestly concluded that she stupidly overstepped her bounds, and wanted to apologize. Her non-excuse (which she admits is not an excuse) that she felt all cooped up is, of course, ridiculous. But hey, maybe there's some truth to it.

She got what she asked for, and now she's doing the only possible thing she can do to make it better (as opposed to sticking to her guns and essentially forcing the court to give her a pass). I think there's sincerity in her apology. I hope so, at least. Given the crap leftists routinely get away with, I'm guessing she'll be let go with no more than an infraction.

And everyone here knows my expertise in law and law enforcement.

Guest MormonGator
15 minutes ago, Vort said:

She got what she asked for

I'm not sure about that. She wanted sympathy/to be the victim and while I don't know for sure, I think the majority of people hardly view her as the victim. 

1 hour ago, mirkwood said:

Perhaps she foolishly believed that she was defending liberty, and when her own people pushed against her and she had time to reflect (yes, after receiving a lot of negative blow back) she realized just how stupid she had been. If so, I can spare a wee bit of sympathy. Ah, but who can discern the human soul . . . ?

1 hour ago, Just_A_Guy said:

It’s not that he doesn’t like POTUS; it’s that he doesn’t like (conservative?) religious people.

Good catch! I'd still suggest it might be a 20/80 split--20% opposition to POTUS, 80% revenge against all who opposed him along his life's journey.

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

Perhaps she foolishly believed that she was defending liberty, and when her own people pushed against her and she had time to reflect (yes, after receiving a lot of negative blow back) she realized just how stupid she had been. If so, I can spare a wee bit of sympathy. Ah, but who can discern the human soul . . . ?

I agree with you completely. It never ceases to amaze me how many sins/mistakes someone can commit that are "unforgivable" in the eyes of the public. She made a mistake, she's apologizing...so lets move on. 

Edited by MormonGator

12 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

@prisonchaplain @MormonGator, you are both free of course to disagree.  I'm not buying her "apology."  I do not believe she is sincere in her statement and has other motives.

I want to believe her. However, if anyone has a right to be skeptical, it is you, sir. :cop:

PRESIDENT DUTERTE HAS GONE FULL RETARD.

After Quarantine is lifted on May 15 - everybody can go out EXCEPT FOR 0-20 years old and 60+ years old.  MOST MISSIONARIES ARE UNDER 20 YEARS OLD!

DEATH RATE OF 0-20 year old from Covid-19???  STATISTICALLY ZERO.

3 hours ago, anatess2 said:

After Quarantine is lifted on May 15 - everybody can go out EXCEPT FOR 0-20 years old and 60+ years old.  MOST MISSIONARIES ARE UNDER 20 YEARS OLD!

Who else is supposed to stay behind and change the diapers?!? 

💩  🤮

4 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Did he give a reason for the 0-20 year olds not being able to go out?

The only thing I could guess is that schools are a prime way to spread disease.  If the kids go to schools or other such things (sport clubs, youth groups, etc) they can spread a disease extremely quickly (of course, the same could be said of military barracks, church meetings, etc.).

13 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

Did he give a reason for the 0-20 year olds not being able to go out?

The only thing I could guess is that schools are a prime way to spread disease.  If the kids go to schools or other such things (sport clubs, youth groups, etc) they can spread a disease extremely quickly (of course, the same could be said of military barracks, church meetings, etc.).

If people would demand a reason for regulations we wouldn't have 3/4 of the regulations on the books.

All schools are closed - summer vacation starts on Palm Sunday.  In the Philippines, if you're 18 and still in high school, you've been a bad boy and had to redo a grade or 2.

There's no difference between an 18 year old spreading disease and a 21 year old spreading disease or even a 45 year old spreading disease.

48 minutes ago, Godless said:

Executive orders are laws.

20200507_153205.jpg

20200507_153220.jpg

Executive orders are a blatant violation of the principle of separation of powers, to be used only in times of the most extreme need. Only a fool or a despot would take advantage of a pandemic of a relatively mild disease in order to tighten the reins. We stand a real chance of losing our free society. Already the morality police are fretting and wringing their hands about those troglodytes who, for some unknowable reason, don't want to wear masks.

Anyone who actually loves liberty should be very concerned. This is only a beginning. Everything will not just return to "normal" (whatever that means) when this is over. In fact, I think there's a good chance that this will never be "over", or at least will be stretched out for years by those who see personal political benefit in it (read: mostly Democrats, especially at first).

• pam unfeatured this topic