Best dang COVID-19 news I've heard to date

NeuroTypical

Today's presidential press briefing had some results of a homeland security study, about what happens to the virus on different surfaces, in different temperatures & humidity levels, etc.

UV light reduces the halflife of the virus from hours to minutes!  

I am so happy to hear this.  Playground equipment, outdoor door handles, gas pump handles, sunny warm outside days - the thing can't survive long when exposed to UV light!   Been hoping and guessing that was the case, but now there's the results of a study confirming it.

Also, increased heat and humidity hurt the virus.  Cold and dry conditions are more favorable.  It survives longer on nonporous surfaces, and less long on porous.  

This guy really made my day.

Guest Scott
26 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

I am so happy to hear this.  Playground equipment, outdoor door handles, gas pump handles, sunny warm outside days - the thing can't survive long when exposed to UV light! 

Gas pump handles are usually shaded, especially since pump areas are covered.  Gas pump handles are my #1 worry around here, especially since I 70 gets a lot of cross country traffic.

Of course UV radiation is strongest in direct sunlight, but indirect UV rays bounce off of surfaces like water and concrete.    Not saying sunny days means covid is dead everywhere, I'm just relieved to have some actual study results to look at.  Warm good, cold less good - who knew?

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

Today's presidential press briefing had some results of a homeland security study, about what happens to the virus on different surfaces, in different temperatures & humidity levels, etc.

UV light reduces the halflife of the virus from hours to minutes!  

I am so happy to hear this.  Playground equipment, outdoor door handles, gas pump handles, sunny warm outside days - the thing can't survive long when exposed to UV light!   Been hoping and guessing that was the case, but now there's the results of a study confirming it.

Also, increased heat and humidity hurt the virus.  Cold and dry conditions are more favorable.  It survives longer on nonporous surfaces, and less long on porous.  

I'd actually heard most of this already.  But it was not from "official" sources.

I find a couple of things to be counter-intuitive:  Wet and porous are worse for the virus?  Their converses are better?  I'm not going to claim expertise in epidemiology.  But that's just not what I was at all familiar with.

Edited by Carborendum

Here's what I got:

• Solar light = powerful effect on the virus.
  • Heat, humid, (either one or both) less favorable.
  • Indoors & dry = virus survives longer.
  • Does not survive well in saliva or respiratory fluid (this is odd since it is a respiratory disease).
  • Direct sunlight is very bad for the virus.
  • Bleach will kill the virus in 5 minutes.
  • Alcohol: 30 seconds.
  • I didn't hear anything about porous surfaces being better or worse.

The Lungs are hot and humid.  Wonder why the virus lives there?

Florida, Texas, and Georgia are all hot and humid, at least far more than Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, and the Dakotas.

They had already mentioned Sunlight perhaps causing a rapid breakdown of the virus.  Sunlight is not necessarily restricted just to UV though.

UV light inside in one study didn't cause much differences though, so I'm not sure what to think on that.  Sunlight affected it from what I've seen.  In something similar, several people who had been using supposed UV lights inside to disinfect stuff had gotten sick as well which also supported the idea that UV light might not necessarily help as much as people were thinking it did.

On 4/23/2020 at 7:17 PM, Carborendum said:

Does not survive well in saliva or respiratory fluid (this is odd since it is a respiratory disease).

Interesting. Isn't it through saliva droplets that it's supposed to be doing most of its spreading?

I had heard some news regarding this briefing that Trump gave, or post briefing.  Apparantly (though he claims he was being sarcastic) there was an uptic in calls to the poison control center (which already had happened, calls were up 20%) but in these cases, directly related to what he said in this briefing.  Some people that may not be thinking entirely clearly on their own (or perhaps they are, I just suppose they may not be) tried drinking disinfectants (at least they didn't inject themselves with them) and these calls have gone up ~10% in the past two days. 

I heard this and I shook my head wondering if the news was making this up (would anyone actually do something like this!?) or there really were people that take some of the things Trump has been saying that seriously in regards to trying to inject sunlight or disinfectants into the body (or something...I think he mumbled).

In light of the fiasco of his confusing sunlight with other things, and disinfectants used to clean stuff NOT inside the human body (Lysol came out with a direct warning after this briefing).

As a global leader in health and hygiene products, we must be clear that under no circumstance should our disinfectant products be administered into the human body (through injection, ingestion or any other route). As with all products, our disinfectant and hygiene products should only be used as intended and in line with usage guidelines. Please read the label and safety information

I can't tell if the news stories are actually making it up that people would consider doing this (drinking, ingesting, injecting, etc). 

WSJ seems to be a somewhat reliable news section in reporting Lysol gave out this warning and such (warning, paywall).

Lysol maker warns against internal use of disinfectants after trump ponders treatment options

But, it's the sort of thing that makes me wonder what type of people would even consider doing stuff like that?

Yep.  I figure Trump's poorly-worded pondering about sanitizing COVID from the inside of someone, has probably taken the lead in his public gaffes.  Replacing the time he mocked the reporter with the physical disability.  

President's can't know everything, and Trump obviously didn't know, or didn't care, about how popular drinking bleach memes have been in certain circles.

It's truly a shame, because the whole world is focusing on that aspect of the briefing, and many are missing the part immediately preceding it where the Homeland Security guy reveals the results of his testing.  Here's the link to the guy, and Trump's comments came immediately after.

On 4/23/2020 at 5:41 PM, NeuroTypical said:

Edited by NeuroTypical

2 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Yep.  I figure Trump's poorly-worded pondering about sanitizing COVID from the inside of someone, has probably taken the lead in his public gaffes.  Replacing the time he mocked the reporter with the physical disability.  

President's can't know everything, and Trump obviously didn't know, or didn't care, about how popular drinking bleach memes have been in certain circles.

It's truly a shame, because the whole world is focusing on that aspect of the briefing, and many are missing the part immediately preceding it where the Homeland Security guy reveals the results of his testing.  Here's the link to the guy, and Trump's comments came immediately after.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4783265/?fbclid=IwAR0prehXPhA_Sak6kf2zy6ncBVHKIZGpcA18IBewBfegUgYcjkvvRzt0_N8

It turns out that in the early 1900s, doctors figured out a way to inject UV radiation directly into the blood stream and were using it to kill bacteria. So what Trump was saying about using light to kill COVID-19 in the body isn't that far-fetched. 

And in fact, a week ago a company sent the Associated Press a press release saying it was working on a medical device that could inject UV radiation: 

https://apnews.com/b44f4531071e6204023f7b8e16f59d4b?fbclid=IwAR2PGnGXcpjvJIv9uCFM8CnYvP5M7804DL_Y4Z1TVmZ24Qx4Uwh-aKuB9ac

2 hours ago, Ironhold said:

It turns out that in the early 1900s, doctors figured out a way to inject UV radiation

It's so dang easy to make a slip of the tongue and look the fool.  No, you don't inject UV radiation.  Radiation is, well, radiation.  You can't load a syringe with photons.  When responding to a criticism roughly equating too "The president is so dumb he thinks we should inhale lysol and inject bleach", responding with a slip of the tongue like this makes it worse, not better. 

The link talks about irradiating blood and emulsions and stuff, and injecting the irradiated blood and emulsions and stuff into people.

Thank you for the links, though.  I knew such things were somewhere.

Edited by NeuroTypical

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

t's so dang easy to make a slip of the tongue and look the fool.

All of us have done so before, and if you meet someone who says they never have, they are the biggest fool out there. 

On 4/26/2020 at 5:56 AM, JohnsonJones said:

I had heard some news regarding this briefing that Trump gave, or post briefing.  Apparantly (though he claims he was being sarcastic) there was an uptic in calls to the poison control center (which already had happened, calls were up 20%) but in these cases, directly related to what he said in this briefing.  Some people that may not be thinking entirely clearly on their own (or perhaps they are, I just suppose they may not be) tried drinking disinfectants (at least they didn't inject themselves with them) and these calls have gone up ~10% in the past two days. 

I heard this and I shook my head wondering if the news was making this up (would anyone actually do something like this!?) or there really were people that take some of the things Trump has been saying that seriously in regards to trying to inject sunlight or disinfectants into the body (or something...I think he mumbled).

In light of the fiasco of his confusing sunlight with other things, and disinfectants used to clean stuff NOT inside the human body (Lysol came out with a direct warning after this briefing).

I can't tell if the news stories are actually making it up that people would consider doing this (drinking, ingesting, injecting, etc). 

WSJ seems to be a somewhat reliable news section in reporting Lysol gave out this warning and such (warning, paywall).

Lysol maker warns against internal use of disinfectants after trump ponders treatment options

But, it's the sort of thing that makes me wonder what type of people would even consider doing stuff like that?

No, there wasn't. 

• It was something like 20 this year vs 13 last year around the same time.  With numbers that low, it is hard to analyze from a statistical probability standpoint.
  • The call center stated people had "feared" they had swallowed these substances.  This doesn't sound like intentionally drinking it.
  • The fact that people are simply trying to disinfect things a WHOLE LOT more than normal, means that people will be using these substances more often than last year.  And when people use a product more often, the number of cases of accidental misuse will also go up.

Nothing here indicates that any of this activity was due to the President's comments.

That said, I, too was shocked at hearing him say that.  It showed a remarkable lack of understanding of chemistry and biology.  He sounded like a puppy trying to get his share of the spotlight.  I come to like Trump this past couple of years.  But this was just plain ignorant. 

It's one thing to say he hopes a product is promising and he really thinks it might be.  It is quite another to announce trying something that basic chemistry tells you is just plain wrong.  But no, I don't think ANYONE would have taken that as a call to start drinking bleach.

And I believe that Trump realized that shortly after the press briefing.  That is why he's ceasing or reducing any further briefings.  He knows he stepped in it this time.  And he's trying to do damage control.

Edited by Carborendum

Guest Scott
19 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

These type of people:

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/washington-dog-drive-police-wrecks

https://www.foxnews.com/health/utah-state-university-student-hospitalized-after-eating-tide-pod

Edited by Scott

9 hours ago, Scott said:

I caught this in the comments:

Capture.JPG.005ac648af2ad16cc2fd9e2f75f1a185.JPG

9 hours ago, Scott said:

I can't remember where I read this (it was a while ago).  But this gal was suicidal.  That's why she ate it.

And it appears (preliminary report only) that the woman who drank the HCQ was trying to poison her husband, and took a smaller dose herself to make it appear as if she was just "following President's Orders."

Edited by Carborendum

Larry Hogan Trump Disinfectant hundreds of calls Yahoo News

The Republican governor continued: “We had hundreds of calls come in to our emergency hotline at our health department asking if it was — if it was right to ingest Clorox or, you know, alcohol cleaning products, whether that was going to help them fight the virus. So, we had to put out that warning to make sure that people were not doing something like that which would kill people.” Anchor George Stephanopoulos asked Hogan how he would explain Trump’s comments.

“I can’t really explain that, George,” he replied. “I think the president has got to focus on the message, stick to the message and make sure these press conferences are fact-based. I think other people in the administration are trying to make that clear to him as well.”

In light of some of the protests that have been occurring, a thought came to me today after listening to Music and the Spoken Word (which was a rebroadcast of one recorded in 2019) and during our family Sacrament meeting.

I think the fast was very effective overall in the US.  Since that time we see the numbers balancing out and in some areas being reduced after it occurred.  However, another thought came to me today, that the Lord has answered our prayers, but will not fight for those who promote the evils of men.  That if we allow our selfish desires, our pride, and our inhumanity to take the forefront or control our choices in the US and the rest of the world...he will stand aside and let the consequences of our actions follow. 

In that, it could lead to another resurgence of the virus, despite all that has been done and is indicating that it has been slightly improved over the past few weeks, if we allow pride and selfishness to direct our choices rather than a love of God and all men, there could be consequences that follow.

Just some thoughts that came to me today in regards to the entire situation and thing.  I think in recent weeks there has been good news, but I don't know what the future holds.

On 4/23/2020 at 6:11 PM, Scott said:

Gas pump handles are usually shaded, especially since pump areas are covered.  Gas pump handles are my #1 worry around here, especially since I 70 gets a lot of cross country traffic.

just use a lighter to heat up the gas pump handle for a few minutes and you won't ever have to worry about the virus again.