Prison Chaplain's Sunday School lesson: King Saul part 1

This is the first in a three part series, examining the failures of King Saul. Interesting themes come out: God's character, who we trust in, the righteousness of God's judgments, etc. I suspect that this mostly comports with LDS teaching:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6TS40-DcKc

I would thank you for bringing to the forum your thought on Saul.  You may not fully understand something in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints but we are not taught that Adam and Eve will burn forever in Hell as Lucifer and Cain.  Rather we believe that Adam and Eve repented and were teachers of righteousness to their children.  That Adam was a great patriarch who all the great prophets looked up to and gave reverence - even after his death to the time of Noah.

Lucifer is the prince of Darkness and there is none that do evil that do not become bound by his evil power and a slave to his rule.  We also believe that all have sinned as have Adam and Eve and are in need to the Messiah and the redemption of the Atonement.  Therefore there is none that is not a sinner and deceived by Satan as was Adam and Eve and therefore worthy of Death. We believe that Cain's sin was different in that he made a covenant with Satan - which is somewhat more serious than being beguiled.  

But I would make one other distinction about the judgement of G-d.  In all cases when I have talked to religious believers - they think G-d will judge all in righteousness but that they - regardless of their sin - that G-d will forgive them and welcome them into heaven.  Those who G-d will send to Hell are always somebody else - never do the suspect or admit themselves as a possibility.  But when Jesus met with his Apostles at the last supper - Jesus said that there was one among that 12 that was in league with Satan and would betray the Christ.  But unlike most Christians of our day and age - these Apostles that knew the person of Christ asked - "L-rd is it I?"

I have pondered that when we understand how easily Satan can tempts us that the greatest sign of a repentant heart is the one that ask first - if - "L-rd is it I?"

The Traveler  -- (the hardest child my mother to raised.)

37 minutes ago, Traveler said:

... we are not taught that Adam and Eve will burn forever in Hell as Lucifer and Cain.  Rather we believe that Adam and Eve repented and were teachers of righteousness to their children.  That Adam was a great patriarch who all the great prophets looked up to and gave reverence - even after his death to the time of Noah.

This string definitely belongs in the Christian Beliefs forum. The LDS doctrines concerning Pre-mortality in general, Adam & Eve specifically, and even about the afterlife all make my series on Bible failures similar-but-different. Still, there is indeed much we share. I do appreciate the LDS ability to glean truths from other traditions. You do 'holy envy' well...and maybe I have a bit of holy envy about this. :cheerleader: