• More Liberal Than Conservative
    • Liberal
  2. 2. Donald Trump is an honest President

• True
    • More True than False
    • Indifferent
    • More False than True
    • False
  3. 3. My religious beliefs have a significant influence on my political alignment

• True
    • More True than False
    • Indifferent
    • More False than True
    • False

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/04/20 at 05:59 AM

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Just_A_Guy said:

As you’ll recall, I kept encouraging you to get out and take a poll yourself.  But you kept complaining of “rheumatism”.

It was Scarlet Fever, but anyway. 

Guest Scott

I voted moderate for myself, but it depends on which group you would ask.

Most people (at least I think so) on this forum probably think of me as liberal.   Most people on the science and mountain climbing forums think of me as conservative.   Same beliefs; different audience.  

Plus people claiming to be moderate on this forum might not be viewed on moderate on either forum.

Of course moderate doesn't mean moderate on all topics either.   In some ways I would be considered conservative and in some ways liberal.

Edited by Scott

Guest Godless
5 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Yeah instead they just created the greatest country in the history of world. What a bunch of idiots. 

To be fair, they didn't get it right on the first try. 

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, Godless said:

To be fair, they didn't get it right on the first try. 

Better than what you and I could do. 

Want to build our own nation? 

Edited by MormonGator

8 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Better than what you and I could do. 

Want to build our own nation? 

I think he's more referring to this

Articles of Confederation

I linked it to Wikipedia which gives a briefs summary of them and the period.

In some ways I think it reflected MORE of the ideas of what the Fathers of the Revolution really wanted in their government, but as it showed, it was ineffective as a Federal Government for reasons of enforcement and collective power.  Shay's rebellion highlighted the problems in the difficulties of raising finances as they had a problem recruiting and retaining soldiers, and some of those that were soldiers were not collecting pay enough to cover their debts and expenses. 

The Articles reflected how those who led the Revolution did NOT LIKE taxes, regardless of where their source or what they were for.  This inability to tax led to several difficulties with the Federal governments finances.  Part of this was also an inability to enforce, or enforce any decisions they made. In addition, the need to make decisions was hampered in that it would need to normally be accomplished by unanimous vote (though in recess, some of the decisions could be made with 9 out of the 13 voting).  Looking at today's congress, that would be impossible to pass any laws at all (which, probably was part of the reason the creators of the articles made it as such, to have more gridlock and less politics).  Of course, they had less representation, where each state/colony ONLY got one vote each.  In addition, the congressmen (and president) had term limits of a sort where they could only serve 3 years out of six, and the president only one year out of 3.

Finally, most of the Federal army would be more like how we see the National Guard today.  Troops were normally from states which had the powers to assign ranks and organization as they deemed fit with a General Assigned by Congress.

We see some of the sentiment in the Constitution, but with more investment by those who wanted a stronger Federal Government and also giving the Federal Government more teeth to enforce and tax.

Edit - You see many of these values of the original Revolutionary founders (but not Constitutional signers) found in some of the more far right agendas today.  Things that they would stand for that would have been overwhelmingly approved by the Articles of Confederation's organizers would be things such as...

1.  Do away with taxes.

2.  Far less Federal Government power.  Any actions need to be done at a minimum of 3/4 vote or unanimous vote generally.

3.  No rights to engage in guns, religion, etc.  These are relegated to the states or local governments normally.

4.  Term Limits.

5.  No real Federal programs to speak of.  No real budget to back up those Federal programs even if they had them.

Edited by JohnsonJones

On 4/28/2020 at 1:29 PM, anatess2 said:

There are NO honest politicians.

You are only half correct.  Politicians only lie about their own party - They are almost always spot on in declaring all the evil being done by their opposing party.

The Traveler

26 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

I'm confused by how hard CNN is campaigning against Biden.  Other than the actual text of the Biden response, everything I'm seeing about the Biden allegations, and how they need to be investigated, is coming from CNN>..

I will be very surprised if Biden ends up being the nominee by the time we get to November.  Perhaps they are simply playing into that.

Guest MormonGator
53 minutes ago, person0 said:

I will be very surprised if Biden ends up being the nominee by the time we get to November

My thoughts completely. 

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, mirkwood said:

Oh sweet, now I've got you for treason too!

tim.jpg

You and your love of summary executions. Goodness, you are turning into @Midwest LDS with your love of "tyranny". 

6 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

I'm confused by how hard CNN is campaigning against Biden.  Other than the actual text of the Biden response, everything I'm seeing about the Biden allegations, and how they need to be investigated, is coming from CNN>..

CNN isn't liberal, they just like to focus on outrage and controversy; sensationalism.

In the last few years, conservatives have been their primary source of headlines, but that may change, depending on what liberals will do during this next election.

Guest MormonGator
21 minutes ago, Midwest LDS said:

How else are you supposed to keep the peasants in line? 

Well, you were fired as my propaganda minster a few months ago...you are now rehired as my loyalty enforcer. 

@mirkwood, reschedule the execution. @Midwest LDS has redeemed himself.  

3 hours ago, mirkwood said:

Oh sweet, now I've got you for treason too!

tim.jpg

Hardly a "prize" 'worth getting. Things must be pretty quiet in policing if this one has come to the top of the list. Now if it was someone like @Just_A_Guy or @pam well that would certainly make it worthwhile. 

6 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

I've seen it many other places.  CNN was actually pretty late on the pick up on the story.  At the time it originally came out (I think FoxNews, of the major news organizations broke the story first) no one but minor sites actually even talked about it.  The discussion (on non-mainstream news sites)was why they were ignoring it in light of Kavanaugh and various other things (MeToo) etc.  At the time, with what was going on, many commenters on those news sites felt that it was going to be pushed under the rug.

It may still be pushed under the rug overall.  Hard to say what will happen.  From my viewpoint, thus far it has at least a little more validation (meaning more witnesses that say she at least told them about it) than the one against Kavanaugh.

6 hours ago, person0 said:

I will be very surprised if Biden ends up being the nominee by the time we get to November.  Perhaps they are simply playing into that.

I'm not sure how this will turn out.  Biden will have the most votes and is really the only nominee left, who else would they put in?

Someone the majority did not vote for?  Or someone that no one voted for?

Edited by JohnsonJones

44 minutes ago, Moonbeast32 said:

CNN isn't liberal,

Yeah, I couldn't let Vort be the only person to highlight this.  I don't have anything sarcastic to say (actually, I have endless sarcastic things to say, but won't say any of them).  Will just say that this takes top place for me in "things I've seen online in 2020 that I disagree with the most". 

This bumps the prior winner of the anti vax lady saying COVID is caused by a bad flu shot from 2015, to second place.

Guest MormonGator
34 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

What this sign says to me is if you see someone drowning, in large print, right in the middle of the sign, lol. Hardly an appropriate response. And then, in small print, at the bottom, call 911

It's a joke. 

5 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

This bumps the prior winner of the anti vax lady saying COVID is caused by a bad flu shot from 2015, to second place.

Uh....you sure about that?