A question about the NFL and Sabbath Keeping

lonetree

I have to confess-I love watching football-that's not soccer or CFL-but NFL football-on a Sunday afternoon. I have since the early 1980s-when Brian Sipe threw that fateful pass, the Eagles seemed so perfect (but lost), and the Chargers, as exciting as they were, couldn't quite muster a Superbowl win out of it. I assume I'm not alone here. I've been wanting to ask this for awhile, but how does the LDS practice of sabbath keeping fit into this? I know that there have been Latter-day Saints who have played, and, I assume again, perhaps watched :) the game on Sundays. Is this compatible (or incompatible)with keeping the sabbath for a Latter-day Saint? 

Edited by lonetree

What specifically counts as Sabbath-day keeping is very individual (well, better to say between you and the Lord).  What bring you and your family closer to Him and each other?

For some people, watching a football game is a wholesome family affair, and a great Sabbath day activity.  For others it's a bad activity because people rage or whatever.

For another example: I know some people whom don't cook on Sunday because they want the day "off" to rest-- great for them.  My daughter and I cook very fancy meals on Sundays as a Mommy-Daughter date-- that's great for us. 

11 hours ago, lonetree said:

I have to confess-I love watching football-that's not soccer or CFL-but NFL football-on a Sunday afternoon. I have since the early 1980s-when Brian Sipe threw that fateful pass, the Eagles seemed so perfect (but lost), and the Chargers, as exciting as they were, couldn't quite muster a Superbowl win out of it. I assume I'm not alone here. I've been wanting to ask this for awhile, but how does the LDS practice of sabbath keeping fit into this? I know that there have been Latter-day Saints who have played, and, I assume again, perhaps watched :) the game on Sundays. Is this compatible (or incompatible)with keeping the sabbath for a Latter-day Saint? 

I think @Vort is correct - but one part of G-d's opinion indicates that the Sabbath was made for man and that man was not made for the Sabbath.  One problem that I see with do's and don't's governing Sabbath activity is that I am quite sure that two people doing exactly the same thing on the Sabbath - One is selfishly sinning and the other making a righteous sacrifice.  We humans tend to judge others on what we see or perhaps on what we want to see.

The ancient Apostle Paul suggested that the Sabbath is a day that sets our eternal course - that what we prepare for our Sabbath activity will shape our eternal destiny.  I am of the mind that what motivates our core and dominates our mind concerning our Sabbath activity will be a primary contribution to our eternal discipline.  

So rather that ask what is acceptable or not acceptable - I think it is better to establish a Sabbath covenant with G-d.  Not in do's and don't's but in attitudes of righteous sacrifice (sacrifice meaning to make whole, complete, holy) to become one with G-d.  All of which is the essence of @Vort's response - just with a lot more words.

The Traveler

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

I think we should discuss caffeine and the Word of Wisdom in this thread too.

The art of being wise is knowing what to ignore. 

Ignore this thread. 

16 hours ago, lonetree said:

I know that there have been Latter-day Saints who have played, and, I assume again, perhaps watched :) the game on Sundays. Is this compatible (or incompatible)with keeping the sabbath for a Latter-day Saint? 

I see from chapter 24 (The Sabbath Day) of Gospel Principles that it says "Our prophets have
told us that we should not shop, hunt, fish, attend sports events, or participate in similar
activities on that day
".  I don't know if this includes watching sports on tv on Sunday.

15 hours ago, Vort said:

My opinion is that our opinions do not matter. The Lord's opinion is the only one that matters. My suggestion is that you find out the Lord's opinion.

I totally agree and would add this hacked-up quote from the Lord in Isaiah 58: "If thou turn away thy foot from...doing thy pleasure on my holy day...not finding thine own pleasure...then...I will...feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father...". :)

Imo, The church hasn't made an official statement on that because we should all know better.

When it comes time for Sabath day worship, ask yourself something: Is this my pleasure, or thy pleasure? Does this activity cause me to think of Jesus Christ, and offer humble gratitude for His deliverance? Or does it draw my attention away from holy things?

Read 1 Nephi chapter 18: 9-21 in the Book of Mormon. Between Nephi and his brothers, I think it aptly illustrates the right and wrong way to approach Sabbath day worship.

On 4/27/2020 at 11:40 PM, lonetree said:

My personal practice is to try to do things the Lord inspires me to do, in general, in specific instances, and as exceptions. When I do my best in general I find I receive more specific promptings, including apparent exceptions to the rule. For example: In general, I avoid such a commitment to entertainment (4 hours in front of a TV? -- come on!), but I would sit in for a few minutes here and there if it was the only way to interact with a family member(s) in a positive way as opposed to avoiding them for the evening altogether. I don't foresee an occasion where the Spirit prompted me to sit there and watch it for that long, though, and I don't find it that edifying a practice, anyway. If my example isn't good enough for them to follow, at least I'm doing my best in good faith.

As for professionals who play on Sundays: who knows what the Lord has told them to do for their particular circumstance and to provide opportunities for spiritual development? They might be doing a lot worse otherwise!

We watch football. It's a great way for our family to bond and spend time together.

I grew up on a farm. We had to work on Sunday. Animals need fed and water, crops need taken care of. Calving season didn't stop for Sunday.  Dad had to get up extra early on Sundays to make it to church on time. It was never a day of rest.  

1 hour ago, LadyGunnar said:

We watch football. It's a great way for our family to bond and spend time together.

Not knowing much about these things, just out of curiousity, does the football do anything while it is being watched, or does anything interesting happen to it?

Guest MormonGator
2 hours ago, LadyGunnar said:

Exactly.

I know of men who work 65+ hours a  week to support their families. They should be allowed three hours to spend with their kids/wives to watch a football game Sunday. It's quite audacious of you (generic!) to lecture them. 

Edited by MormonGator

36 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I know of men who work 65+ hours a  week to support their families. They should be allowed three hours to spend with their kids/wives to watch a football game Sunday. It's quite audacious of you (generic!) to lecture them. 

Utterly non sequitur. The fact that a man works 65+ hours per week to support his family does not mean that therefore he is justified in doing whatever he wants.

3 hours ago, askandanswer said:

Not knowing much about these things, just out of curiousity, does the football do anything while it is being watched, or does anything interesting happen to it?

Football is awesome. The upsets, the wins, the Superbowl when your team wins and then loses the next year. The sense of community. Blue Fridays were awesome in Washington. It's fun.  

Guest MormonGator
10 hours ago, LadyGunnar said:

Football is awesome. The upsets, the wins, the Superbowl when your team wins and then loses the next year. The sense of community. Blue Fridays were awesome in Washington. It's fun.  

That’s fantastic to hear @LadyGunnar. I think one of the reasons we all like sports is because of the sense of togetherness it provides. 

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, dprh said:

Don't forget ladies wearing pants to church! :) 

We need to start that thread. "Topics that make people who agree on most things lose their minds and burn the house down." 

Edited by MormonGator