And, the Tyranny continues.

Emmanuel Goldstein

Kind of a weird video.  It has too many questions that I cannot answer.

1.  Is the store connected to what appear to be gas pumps.  Is it therefore a gas station as well?

1a.  Is gasoline considered an essential item in Arizona or not?

1b.  If it is dispensing gasoline, why is he wanting to claim his essential business under a department store rather than gas sales?

1c.  If gasoline sales are considered essential and it is also a gasoline station, why is he being shut down?  Or did he change from being a gas station to a department store?

1d.  If gasoline sales are considered non-essential, what do they do with the Truck Drivers?  Do they shut down trucking and transport of commerce in Arizona?

1e.  If 1d is true, I'd have some serious problems if I were an Arizonian. 

2.  It appears they told him to shut down the day prior.  What was the situation in regards to their reason for the shutdown on that day?  Was it a warning?

2a.  What did he understand their reasoning for asking him to shutdown on the day prior?  Did he change anything or fix it?

2b.  It appears that the reasons they gave him (in this video) indicate it was for being a non-essential business claiming to be an essential business.  If so, was his department store  license valid or not?

2c.  Are department store licenses valid for being an essential business or not?

2d.  If the license if valid and he is considered a department store, and department stores are considered essential businesses, what other reasons are they telling him to close over? 

2e.  There seems to be a problem with the license, but I'm not clear what it was.  What was the problem with the business license?

3.  It does not appear the store owner was really arguing about whether essential business should be open and non-essential businesses closed until after he started being taken by the police?   Had he raised this issue the day prior and claimed all business (essential or non-essential) should be open?

And it goes on and on.  Too many questions that remain unanswered by the video there from what I can tell on a short view of it.

Edited by JohnsonJones

46 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

1.  Is the store connected to what appear to be gas pumps.  Is it therefore a gas station as well?

No, it is not.

https://www.12news.com/article/news/local/arizona/bodycam-winslow-business-owner-cited/75-b82c8b47-a973-4e09-9f84-18be7bf3dcc2

What you are seeing are not actual gas pumps.  It appears that the lot used to be owned by a gas station.  It closed.  And this souvenir shop opened up with a "shaded area" for customer parking.

Capture.thumb.JPG.827b8b5815e5fcd691b7e7f3055653b9.JPG

He thought that he was  getting around the law by registering as a different type of store (which would be considered an essential business).  The police were asking when that registration was changed --  ex post facto (on the business owner's part).  Then they asked what he was selling at the time that qualified.  He named them.  But they looked around and didn't see anything that qualified.

That said, I don't like the idea that we close "non-essential" businesses.  Who decides what is "non-essential"?  Yes, I know.  From a short term perspective, only that which is essential to sustain life.  But this has the potential to extend into a very long time.  After a while, we must acknowledge that man does not live by bread alone.

20 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

No, it is not.

https://www.12news.com/article/news/local/arizona/bodycam-winslow-business-owner-cited/75-b82c8b47-a973-4e09-9f84-18be7bf3dcc2

What you are seeing are not actual gas pumps.  It appears that the lot used to be owned by a gas station.  It closed.  And this souvenir shop opened up with a "shaded area" for customer parking.

Capture.thumb.JPG.827b8b5815e5fcd691b7e7f3055653b9.JPG

He thought that he was  getting around the law by registering as a different type of store (which would be considered an essential business).  The police were asking when that registration was changed --  ex post facto (on the business owner's part).  Then they asked what he was selling at the time that qualified.  He named them.  But they looked around and didn't see anything that qualified.

That said, I don't like the idea that we close "non-essential" businesses.  Who decides what is "non-essential"?  Yes, I know.  From a short term perspective, only that which is essential to sustain life.  But this has the potential to extend into a very long time.  After a while, we must acknowledge that man does not live by bread alone.

The problem is that the closure is not a law it is a "decree" from the governor and mayors. They are unconstitutional commands, and they must muzzle the business owners who are resisting the dictators. Constitutional lawyers are going to have a field day with this one in a couple months.

Edited by Emmanuel Goldstein

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, Vort said:

MG, you were no so much as a gleam in your father's eye when I was in fifth grade.

When you were in 5th grade they made you memorize the capitols of all 34 states. 

9 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

The problem is that the closure is not a law it is a "decree" from the governor and mayors. They are unconstitutional commands, and they must muzzle the business owners who are resisting the dictators. Constitutional lawyers are going to have a field day with this one in a couple months.

There is more to the degree than that.  Because the president of the USA has declared an national emergency - this gives governors latitude under the law to insure "Public Safety".  Perhaps @Just_A_Guy can provide better insight than I can but the declaration of a national disaster - I think can change the landscape.

I think I agree with the governor of  Oklahoma when he said that he is opening up his state because the propose of the shutdown (flatting the curve and preventing the health care system from being overwhelmed) has been accomplished in his state  - at lest for now.  

The Traveler

Guest MormonGator
14 minutes ago, Vort said:

BLONDE: I know all the state capitals! Go ahead, test me!
RANDOM GUY: What's the capital of California?
BLONDE: That's easy! C! Duh!

That's awesome. 

41 minutes ago, Traveler said:

There is more to the degree than that.  Because the president of the USA has declared an national emergency - this gives governors latitude under the law to insure "Public Safety".  Perhaps @Just_A_Guy can provide better insight than I can but the declaration of a national disaster - I think can change the landscape.

I think I agree with the governor of  Oklahoma when he said that he is opening up his state because the propose of the shutdown (flatting the curve and preventing the health care system from being overwhelmed) has been accomplished in his state  - at lest for now.  

The Traveler

Here's a memo from the US AG to all US Attorneys:

Excerpt:
Many policies that would be unthinkable in regular times have become commonplace in recent weeks, and we do not want to unduly interfere with the important efforts of state and local officials to protect the public. But the Constitution is not suspended in times of crisis. We must therefore be vigilant to ensure its protections are preserved, at the same time that the public is protected.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/page/file/1271456/download

Edited by anatess2

3 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

Sadly, I think you are correct. Sad times, and sad decisions being made throughout our country. This is evidence of one.

Guest MormonGator

When the left uses terms like "racism" and "Nazi" we correctly call them out on it. They cheapen very powerful words. 

This isn't "tyranny" and we should be careful falling into that trap-this isn't pleasant, but this is hardly "tyranny". 

52 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

This isn't "tyranny" and we should be careful falling into that trap-this isn't pleasant, but this is hardly "tyranny". 

When people call putting illegal immigrants in detention facilities as Nazi, it is right to call them out on their ignorance.

When people call government who are preventing people from exercising constitutionally protected rights as tyrants... you're calling a spade a spade.

I’m just saying that if restrictions against travel and outdoor location activities had been less strict during the quarantine, we might have had more people out in the sunlight.... 

🧗‍♂️ 🏄‍♀️ 🚵‍♂️ 🏇 🤾‍♀️ 🏊‍♂️                  🌞 

Just sayin’. 

21 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

I agree, but...

I'll let Trey Gowdy explain:  Starts at around 1:25, and more fully at 3:25 and again at 4:20 to the end.

Edited by Carborendum

18 hours ago, MormonGator said:

When the left uses terms like "racism" and "Nazi" we correctly call them out on it. They cheapen very powerful words. 

How about Heavy Handed Authoritarianism?