Hi

JayKi

On 4/28/2020 at 6:21 PM, Jane_Doe said:

Hi and (re) welcome!

I love questions :)

Well I think it is a straight forward quesiton, but I don't know where to ask it. Also, I may not be quick at responding as I am working in ICU at the hospital I did my medical placement in, I should have return to Costa Rica 2 weeks ago but I am stuck in England and helping fight the virus here. 

Sorry I have been so busy with work and trying to spend time with my wife and baby .

My question is my sister her son and her boyfriend are living with us, they have been here about 3 months. My sister she used to be an active member but now she is atheist and her boyfriend is too. My wife and I recently when we are together at home we discuss the gospel a lot we are both just really passionate about it at the moment. We speak all the time about it but I feel uncomfortable sometimes that we forcing my sister and her boyfriend to listen to us, because if someone was saying that they are atheist or whatever religion I don't agree with then I wont want to listen all time. But at same time I don't want to stop discussing gospel with my wife. 

I think I can tell they uncomfortable but they are too polite to say. 

What is best solution?

9 minutes ago, JayKi said:

Sorry I have been so busy with work and trying to spend time with my wife and baby .

My question is my sister her son and her boyfriend are living with us, they have been here about 3 months. My sister she used to be an active member but now she is atheist and her boyfriend is too. My wife and I recently when we are together at home we discuss the gospel a lot we are both just really passionate about it at the moment. We speak all the time about it but I feel uncomfortable sometimes that we forcing my sister and her boyfriend to listen to us, because if someone was saying that they are atheist or whatever religion I don't agree with then I wont want to listen all time. But at same time I don't want to stop discussing gospel with my wife. 

I think I can tell they uncomfortable but they are too polite to say. 

What is best solution?

If you and your wife were really passionate cycling fans, would you feel bad about talking cycling around your sister?  Would you feel bad if she used to cycle, but now does not?

No- of course not!

Neither should you feel bad about talking about another subject you're passionate about (the Gospel).  You are free to express your passion, especially in your own home.   Don't feel like you need to apologize for it!   

Your sister is of course free to have her own views (Article of Faith 11) which I can see that you're already acknowledging (example: the boyfriend living at your house).  She should likewise respect your views.  You can have different views, express them, and still be a loving family.  

1 hour ago, Jane_Doe said:

you and your wife were really passionate cycling fans, would you feel bad about talking cycling around your sister?  Would you feel bad if she used to cycle, but now does not?

I would feel little bad that she can't join in conversations. We want to be good hosts but we dont have much time to talk ourselves with my wife caring for the baby and I'm working extra shifts and then sleeping lots. 

Neither should you feel bad about talking about another subject you're passionate about (the Gospel).  You are free to express your passion, especially in your own home  Don't feel like you need to apologize for it!   

Yes and we are just mostly trying to encourage each other with hope we find in the gospel, we aren't trying to convince anybody to convert. 

which I can see that you're already acknowledging (example: the boyfriend living at your house)

I dont really feel comfortable with that and my wife doesn't either. We discussed when we were marry that we want our house/home to be a place that serves God and we think this is bad. But it is my older sister if it was a younger sister then I could ban it but older sister is different 

2 minutes ago, JayKi said:

I would feel little bad that she can't join in conversations. We want to be good hosts but we dont have much time to talk ourselves with my wife caring for the baby and I'm working extra shifts and then sleeping lots. 

Yes and we are just mostly trying to encourage each other with hope we find in the gospel, we aren't trying to convince anybody to convert. 

IT's not like the Gospel is the only thing you talk about 24/7.  There's plenty of other topics discussed in your house that I'm sure she has a personal interest in.

My in-laws are Evangelical. I don't feel bad she she talk abut her views when I"m around- we'll chat about other topics at other times.  LIkewise for my old work partner that was an American Football fanatic: there'd be lots of football talk when I was in the room (which I'm totally not interested in), but then we'd talk about something else.  Acknowledging that people have other interests and respecting that fact is just an adult thing.  

23 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

IT's not like the Gospel is the only thing you talk about 24/7.  There's plenty of other topics discussed in your house that I'm sure she has a personal interest in.

My in-laws are Evangelical. I don't feel bad she she talk abut her views when I"m around- we'll chat about other topics at other times.  LIkewise for my old work partner that was an American Football fanatic: there'd be lots of football talk when I was in the room (which I'm totally not interested in), but then we'd talk about something else.  Acknowledging that people have other interests and respecting that fact is just an adult thing.  

yes that makes sense, I think we were just worried because of the lockdown they can't leave and maybe we were making them uncomfortable. It is a tricky time. 

1 hour ago, JayKi said:

yes that makes sense, I think we were just worried because of the lockdown they can't leave and maybe we were making them uncomfortable. It is a tricky time. 

It's very empathetic that you're obviously thinking of them and care.  And it is indeed tricky times!

But they aren't trapped in the room with you two chatting it 24/7.  Just make sure that some other conversation is in there somewhere too :)