The Comedy News Network

Vort

On 4/28/2020 at 1:17 PM, anatess2 said:

Me too.

3wh2KLbL.jpeg

I'm not sure what he was complaining about.  All I see is that CNN took a random shot of random people in a public situation.  And he's complaining that it was him.

Is that all he's yelling about?  Or was there more to the story?

I find it odd that the screen combines people in Houston along with UC-SanFran + Democratic Presidential debate + "How you can cope with your fears."  But that is somehow scream worthy?

What am I missing?

Edited by Carborendum

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

I'm not sure what he was complaining about.  All I see is that CNN took a random shot of random people in a public situation.  And he's complaining that it was him.

Is that all he's yelling about?  Or was there more to the story?

I find it odd that the screen combines people in Houston along with UC-SanFran + Democratic Presidential debate + "How you can cope with your fears."  But that is somehow scream worthy?

What am I missing?

I found it funny because of how big a misrepresentation it was in regards to what they were actually saying, and the guy discovering he was the one they were using for a misrepresentation.

It's like they took a picture of a hurricane (and maybe you were in a ship in the hurricane so they got a picture of you on your ship trying to sail it through) and then several months wrote a story of a hospital ward and the fears of people in it...but rather than a picture related to the story....they posted your picture of you in the middle of the hurricane.  You then see the story and your picture. 

You'd probably do a double take...first because it's you...and second because one has nothing at all to do with the other!

3 hours ago, Carborendum said:

What am I missing?

CNN used a photo with this man in a long line for the grocery store in Houston during Hurricane Harvey to show footage of "mass panic" in San Francisco.

Same with ABC using footage of a Kentucky gun range demonstration to show footage of Turkish bombings in Kurdish Syria.

5 hours ago, anatess2 said:

CNN used a photo with this man in a long line for the grocery store in Houston during Hurricane Harvey to show footage of "mass panic" in San Francisco.

Same with ABC using footage of a Kentucky gun range demonstration to show footage of Turkish bombings in Kurdish Syria.

I guess I can kinda see it.  But I'm not sure how this is anything but a video equivalent of a 2-year-old stock photo of a person being used to head an article about that person.  Only in this case, it was a "random person" from one place/time to represent a random person at a different place/time.

I guess I found the person's reaction kinda funny.  But I really don't fault CNN for this.

Now, if there were a twist -- that they were trying to tout long lines at the grocery store but couldn't find an actual line anywhere -- THAT would show poorly on CNN.  Is that the case?  Was this older image necessary to "spin" the news because all the doom and gloom they were touting (thanks to Trump, no doubt) simply couldn't be found anywhere so that they had to resort to an old video of Harvey?

Edited by Carborendum

On 4/28/2020 at 11:01 AM, Vort said:

EWpsgNJWsAAUUyW.jpg

Sad comedown for a once reputable network. It was the original. 

The money must be good for some of the older reporters to prostitute themselves the way they do. 

I actually used to respect Wolf Blitzer. 

Edited by mrmarklin

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

I guess I can kinda see it.  But I'm not sure how this is anything but a video equivalent of a 2-year-old stock photo of a person being used to head an article about that person.  Only in this case, it was a "random person" from one place/time to represent a random person at a different place/time.

I guess I found the person's reaction kinda funny.  But I really don't fault CNN for this.

Now, if there were a twist -- that they were trying to tout long lines at the grocery store but couldn't an actual line anywhere -- THAT would show poorly on CNN.  Is that the case?  Was this older image necessary to "spin" the news because all the doom and gloom they were touting (thanks to Trump, no doubt) simply couldn't be found anywhere so that they had to resort to an old video of Harvey?

This photo became a meme because at the time this was aired, there was no panic buying in San Francisco (or anywhere in the US for that matter).  There was in Australia and parts of Europe.  The press, at the  time was trying to show Trump as "downplaying the seriousness of the disease"..  This was one of the earliest covid-19 news stories that TRIGGERED the panic.

There's another one, although I can't remember if it was CNN showing footage of people digging a mass grave in New York.  They used the footage in a story about New York covid deaths.  The mass grave is a normal activity for that specific cemetery even before covid.

In any case, using random unrelated photos/videos as well as manufacturing staged photos/videos to support a specific news story is Journalistic malpractice.

Edited by anatess2

There is an interesting history of news outlets reporting events by trying to add drama.  I am thinking this started back in WWII with reports in the radio in the USA from reporters in London.  The problem was that the reports were being sent to the USA by teletype and then read on the air.  To make the reports more dramatic (realistic) background sounds of sirens, explosions and screams of women and children.    At the time the additional background sounds were considered to give authenticity and a feeling of being in London during the bombings even though during actual bombings people were not running through the streets screaming.

This concept was carried into news reals showing at movie theaters using films that were what ever could be obtained on short notice.

I am personal disappointed that @Vort and other posters in this thread are giving CNN the benefit of a doubt of being intelligent enough to have dreamed up this kind of reporting all on their own.

The Traveler

14 hours ago, Traveler said:

There is an interesting history of news outlets reporting events by trying to add drama.  I am thinking this started back in WWII with reports in the radio in the USA from reporters in London.

From The Harvard Business Review (1995 - when Rush was making news and Fox was happening, and the left was more willing to look at such things critically) 

The architect of the transformation was not a political leader or a constitutional convention but Joseph Pulitzer, who in 1883 bought the sleepy New York World and in 20 years made it the country’s largest newspaper. Pulitzer accomplished that by bringing drama to news—by turning news articles into stories with a plot, actors in conflict, and colorful details. In the late nineteenth century, most newspaper accounts of government actions were couched in institutional formats, much like the minutes of a board meeting and about as interesting. Pulitzer turned them into stories with a sharp dramatic focus that both implied and aroused intense public interest. Most newspapers of the time looked like the front page of the Wall Street Journal still does. Pulitzer made stories dramatic by adding blaring headlines, big pictures, and eye-catching graphics. His journalism took events out of their dry, institutional contexts and made them emotional rather than rational, immediate rather than considered, and sensational rather than informative. The press became a stage on which the actions of government were a series of dramas.