Trudeau announces Canada is banning assault-style weapons

Colirio

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/01/canada-assault-weapons-ban-trudeau-nova-scotia-shooting

From the article-

“Canada has banned assault-style weapons following the murder of 22 people in the worst mass shooting in the country’s history, Justin Trudeau announced on Friday.

“These weapons were designed for one purpose and one purpose only: to kill the largest number of people in the shortest amount of time. There is no use and no place for such weapons in Canada,” said the prime minister. “Effective immediately, it is no longer permitted to buy, sell, transport, import or use military-grade assault weapons in this country.””

Also from the article -

““Justin Trudeau is using the current pandemic and the immediate emotion of the horrific attack in Nova Scotia to push the Liberals’ ideological agenda to make major firearms policy changes,” said the Conservative leader, Andrew Scheer, following Trudeau’s comments. “Taking firearms away from law-abiding citizens does nothing to stop dangerous criminals who obtain their guns illegally.”“

This quote at the end of the article is what I found truly fascinating - 

“An “overwhelming majority” majority of Canadians – nearly four out of five people – support the ban, according to a poll from the Angus Reid Institute, released Friday.“

Edited by Colirio

Just in case no one already knows this: Canadians are not Americans. They do not value the same freedoms Americans value. They have no problem regulating or even outlawing rights that they see as inconvenient, such as the right to bear arms or the right to speak your mind. As a nation, and with numerous individual exceptions, Canadians are not a freedom-loving people. They are a stringently politically correct people, very European in outlook.

In case any of you Americans don't have Canadian friends or relatives, you should know that Canadians generally look on Americans as foul ignoramuses. This is a generalization, but not an untrue or unfair generalization. Canadians, like Europeans, tend to be contemptuous of America and Americans. Keep that in mind when reading Canadian or European news, especially when it interfaces with the US or US interests.

Edited by Vort

And to add to what @Vort said... Canada does not have a Constitutionally protected right to bear arms.  A lot of their laws were inherited from British law including laws surrounding the use of firearms - which, by British tradition, is a right GIVEN to the plebes by the monarchy/government.

35 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

The handful of Canadians I know are all pro gun and pro USA.  They are also pro socialized medicine.

Same here! 

To be fair, they all have lived in the US most of their lives.... 

I do tend to wonder how big a part gun control will play in the upcoming US elections. 

Guest MormonGator
3 hours ago, Vort said:

Just in case no one already knows this: Canadians are not Americans. They do not value the same freedoms Americans value. They have no problem regulating or even outlawing rights that they see as inconvenient, such as the right to bear arms or the right to speak your mind. As a nation, and with numerous individual exceptions, Canadians are not a freedom-loving people. They are a stringently politically correct people, very European in outlook.

In case any of you Americans don't have Canadian friends or relatives, you should know that Canadians generally look on Americans as foul ignoramuses. This is a generalization, but not an untrue or unfair generalization. Canadians, like Europeans, tend to be contemptuous of America and Americans. Keep that in mind when reading Canadian or European news, especially when it interfaces with the US or US interests.

Look, I get it-becuase you are so right wing you think anyone to the "left" of Pat Buchanan is a raging communist (joking!), that's not my experience at all. 

I grew up in NH, which is on the border of Quebec. I remember pre 9/11 going to Quebec all the time. I have relatives who speak French fluently. I've also gotten to know many, many Anglo-Candians both in NH and living down here/spending time in Sarasota. 

While it's true, Canada is more liberal than America is (national health care, more stringent gun laws) Canada has a strong conservative tradition. You either 1) forgot or 2) ignored Stephen Harpers victories-which were pretty recent (2008 being the closest. Which he won by a million votes) . You also don't understand that Canada isn't a monolith. Like America, you have the cities-which are liberal (though Rob Ford was mayor of Toronto) and the rural areas, which tend to vote conservative. In fact, if you removed Quebec, Vancouver and Toronto, Trudeau would have lost in 2019. 

And oh yeah, I would have voted for Andrew Scheer last year. And I think Justin is a complete disaster. 

Edited by MormonGator

2 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Look, I get it-becuase you are so right wing you think anyone to the "left" of Pat Buchanan is a raging communist (joking!), that's not my experience at all. 

I grew up in NH, which is on the border of Quebec. I remember pre 9/11 going to Quebec all the time. I have relatives who speak French fluently. I've also gotten to know many, many Anglo-Candians both in NH and living down here/spending time in Sarasota. 

While it's true, Canada is more liberal than America is (national health care, more stringent gun laws) Canada has a strong conservative tradition. You either 1) forgot or 2) ignored Stephen Harpers victories-which were pretty recent (2008 being the closest. Which he won by a million votes) . You also don't understand that Canada isn't a monolith. Like America, you have the cities-which are liberal (though Rob Ford was mayor of Toronto) and the rural areas, which tend to vote conservative. In fact, if you removed Quebec, Vancouver and Toronto, Trudeau would have lost in 2019. 

And oh yeah, I would have voted for Andrew Scheer last year. And I think Justin is a complete disaster. 

SELF-REFERENTIAL EXCHANGE SUMMARY

Vort: As a whole, Canadians are more leftist than Americans, do not value the same freedoms as Americans, and don't think like Americans. There are plenty of individual exceptions, but this is true overall. The majority of Canadians take the same dim view of Americans that Europeans do.

MormonGator: You're a right-wing wacko (haha)! You're wrong! There are all sorts of exceptions to the silly rule you propose! Why, if it weren't for the leftist majority, Canadians wouldn't be leftist at all!

Vort: SUMMARY

Vo: Individual exceptions aside, Canadians as a whole don't think like Americans and don't much like Americans.

MG: Wrong, fascist (j/k)! Take away the liberal majority and they're as conservative as we are!

Vo: TO WIT

V: Most Canadians are leftist and don't like us.

M: Jerk (😉)! Only the majority!

V: I.E.

1) Y > X

2) (Y > X)==FALSE; (X < Y)==TRUE

3) GOTO 1

Guest Scott
6 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Canada does not have a Constitutionally protected right to bear arms.  

I believe that there are only three countries that do.  Guatemala, Mexico, and the US.

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, mirkwood said:

Why is he your most popular playlist on iTunes?

tim.jpg

hahahahahahahahaha. That's awesome. Lol 

Dude, Canada actually has a great metal scene. Annihilator, Manacle, High Spirits....

This is a tyrannical response to a person dressed and was pretending to be a police officer and who also had a car made up to be like a police car, who murdered over twenty people in many different scenarios.  People would let down their guard because they thought he was law enforcement.  As we all know more citizen gun laws would not have stopped this evil murderer.  He died in a shoot out with Canada law enforcement.

But tyrants will continue to exercise their authority over their subjects and blame Canada citizens with privately owned firearms when all the blame should be placed on who did the killing.

• 4 weeks later...

On Canadians and Americans, I found this 2005 article helpful. The writer is Robert Fulford, a Canadian journalist. There were a couple of places where he made me chuckle-the highlighting of Vincent Massey, and his story about the tv program he watched. The only reason I recognized Massey's name was because he was the bro. of the famous 1950s actor, not because of any time I'd spent on our country's history.

http://www.robertfulford.com/2005-11-17-anti-americanism.html

My first question - What weapon is NOT an assault weapon?  What is the difference between an assault weapon and any other possible kind of weapon?  I am thinking that if the design is not for assault - it probably is not a weapon.

I have long felt that the biggest problem between the USA and Canada is that the border between the two countries was drawn completely in the wrong place; when one takes into account just about any demographic of the two countries.  The border should have been drawn north and south rather than east and west.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

10 hours ago, Traveler said:

My first question - What weapon is NOT an assault weapon?  What is the difference between an assault weapon and any other possible kind of weapon?

Most objects can be used to assault or murder others.  A bolt inside of a sock can make for a deadly weapon to cave someone's skull in.  This is about control and since some politicians cannot control privately owned guns they want to make them all illegal.

The corrupt tyrants will never give up until citizen's privately owned gun is legally required to be disassembled in two different locked safes with the ammunition locked in a third separate safe.  Magazines over five rounds are banned from legal ownership and you are no longer able to legally own a handgun.  Only corrupt tyrants seek to outlaw the effective means of self defense from common citizens.

10 hours ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

Most objects can be used to assault or murder others.  A bolt inside of a sock can make for a deadly weapon to cave someone's skull in.  This is about control and since some politicians cannot control privately owned guns they want to make them all illegal.

The corrupt tyrants will never give up until citizen's privately owned gun is legally required to be disassembled in two different locked safes with the ammunition locked in a third separate safe.  Magazines over five rounds are banned from legal ownership and you are no longer able to legally own a handgun.  Only corrupt tyrants seek to outlaw the effective means of self defense from common citizens.

Thank you for your response.

I would bring up a few things.  I was born in the very beginning of what is called the baby boom.  Guns were very common in the society that I grew up in.  I have owned several guns.  When I got my first gun the gun dealer would not sell me the gun until I had passed a gun safety course.  The gun safety courses were exclusively offered by the National Rifle Association (NRA) - and no one else.  Following WWII the NRA was one of the most respected organizations in the USA and every politician courted their favor.

Growing up I thought the primary purposes for civilian use of guns were hunting, recreation (target shooting) and collections.  If someone were to suggest using a gun for protection - I would imagine they were talking about hiking in a remote area with some danger of bear on some other predator.    It was unthinkable and irrational that guns would ever be used in society against other humans (especially someone you did not even know) - with very rare exception.  There was a popular movie of my youth about the two most hateful gangs in New York involved in a gang war.  Their choice of weapons?  --- Knives, in particular the infamous and notorious switchblade knife (which interesting was outlawed because it was considered as an assault weapon).   The movie was titled "West Side Story".  It is also interesting to note that the police were portrayed back then as somewhat clueless and ineffective - but defiantly not savage. 

One of the interesting aspects of that era followed something out of WWII.  At the beginning of the USA involvement in WWII the Japanese has a plan to invade the west coast of the USA as a greater plan to control the Pacific theater during the war.  The single most reason for scraping this plan was the large amount of gun ownership in the civilization population that was untraceable.  

I want to shift gears a little here and talk a little about something else in my youth.  I loved hunting.  It was something I grew up doing with my dad and brothers.  I thought it was something all real men did and was part of being male.  Like all boys - I wanted to prove my manhood.  I thought and believed hunting was part of being male.  As part of what I thought was manly - guns had a role.  As a result guns was somewhat of a fascination to me.  Part of what was thought as manly and was popular at the time was to make your own gun.  This was proof that one had reached a honored level of maturity - if you could make a gun.   The more sophisticated the gun the more manly and mature you could portray yourself.  Because of my youth - I am quite sure I could make a gun exclusively from the common contents of 80% of the residential garages in the USA. 

Because of my military experience - I learned things about guns.  One thing I learned is that if someone not planning combat, thinks they are going to use a gun for protection - like the saying - you live by the gun and you will die by the gun.  For example if you are asleep in you home with you family and someone that is armed with a gun, that knows what they are doing, breaks into your home - if you attempt us use a gun to protect yourself and family from this skilled, trained and experienced assault - it is more likely that you will get yourself and other members of your family killed than disrupt their plan - whatever their plan is.   Having a gun for protection against another human means that your are ready to kill someone at the first opportunity you get.  Obviously if you give someone that knows what they are doing their first opportunity - you will be the one that gets killed.  Following my military experience, I have become quite certain that if I have the choice - I would rather be killed than to kill.  But like seldom breaks down into such simple choices.  

A lot has changed in life since my youth.  There are trends in society that I am not sure how I want to deal with.  I have thought through many ideas of what I can possibly do with such trends without creating a worse response in trying to alter such trends.  There are demonstrations, riots and looting here in Salt Lake City, Utah in protest of what a policeman did in Minneapolis.  I do not think that this is the real purpose or reason - just the cover for something else.  It is that something else that I do no see as a gun being the best means for protection - rather I am thinking someone knows and has a plan - even against the police using guns to protect.  The Book of Mormon warns us that even protecting our freedoms and liberties will require much bloodshed.  I am concerned with what much bloodshed will do to our society - and I include myself and my beloved family with that concern. 

It is said that if you are prepared you shall not fear.  Sometimes I think the only ones without fear are the psychopaths. 

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

11 minutes ago, Traveler said:

The Book of Mormon warns us that even protecting our freedoms and liberties will require much bloodshed.  I am concerned with what much bloodshed will do to our society - and I include myself and my beloved family with that concern. 

It is said that if you are prepared you shall not fear.  Sometimes I think the only ones without fear are the psychopaths.

I wanted to add one more thought.  Too many Americans in my opinion think we need to jump to the 2nd Amendment first as a resolution against government tyranny.  I suggest using the soapbox, ballot box and jury box over and over without fail long before you rally to the gun magazine box.  I think the Founding colonists of America tried petitioning and working with the King of England for over ten years before resorting to a declaration of independence and war.  Thomas Jefferson believed the biggest hedge against tyranny was the impartial jury.

On 5/31/2020 at 12:57 PM, Still_Small_Voice said:

I wanted to add one more thought.  Too many Americans in my opinion think we need to jump to the 2nd Amendment first as a resolution against government tyranny.  I suggest using the soapbox, ballot box and jury box over and over without fail long before you rally to the gun magazine box.  I think the Founding colonists of America tried petitioning and working with the King of England for over ten years before resorting to a declaration of independence and war.  Thomas Jefferson believed the biggest hedge against tyranny was the impartial jury.

Uhmm... you're making the statement that Tyranny is something in the future of the USA and not the past and present that has been worked time and time and time again through the soapbox, ballot box, and jury box... and is getting very difficult to achieve.

On 5/31/2020 at 12:57 PM, Still_Small_Voice said:

I suggest using the soapbox, ballot box and jury box over and over without fail long before you rally to the gun magazine box. 

Soapbox - Is this the one the mainstream media controls? The one that many on the right consider to be highly compromised? The one termed by the US President as “fake news?” 

Ballot box - Is this the one where there have been rampant reports of dead people voting, out of state people voting illegally, and many others are starting to become skeptical of their legitimacy? 

Jury box - Is this the one where appointed judges with agendas have tainted the confidence of many people of having a “fair” trial? 

The thing is that I AGREE with you. 

By the same token, I can also understand the frustrations of those who feel that, like the Nephites of old, we might be getting to a point where we can no longer be governed by law as our laws are becoming corrupted. 

Helaman 5:2 For as their laws and their governments were established by the voice of the people, and they who chose evil were more numerous than they who chose good, therefore they were ripening for destruction, for the laws had become corrupted. 

On 5/31/2020 at 11:57 AM, Still_Small_Voice said:

Too many Americans in my opinion think we need to jump to the 2nd Amendment first as a resolution against government tyranny. 

What is the basis for your opinion?  First resolution?  Really?

I think this is the way most liberals think of anyone who is pro-2A.  But let me educate you on the actual philosophy so you don't mistake what we believe.

Consider the presence of nuclear weapons.  When was the last time a nuclear bomb was used in active warfare?  Hiroshima & Nagasaki.  Yet we still have them.  And as other nations get more and more powerful, they also obtain nuclear weapons capability -- even though they're never used.

If we never use them why bother having them?  Because that's something that everyone is afraid of being on the delivering end or the receiving end of.  That threat keeps nations more polite and willing to avoid outright war.  That's why we've had relative peace on the planet for about 75 years.

Thus the famous line from "Sum of all Fears":

I'm not afraid of the nation with 100 nukes.  I'm afraid of the guy with just one.

This is why you're never supposed to rob a gun store.

https://www.fox29.com/news/armed-burglary-suspect-fatally-shot-by-gun-shops-owner-in-south-philadelphia-authorities-say

Pretty good shot.  He got the guy with the handgun right in the head, and he wounded a second guy before they ran off.

And having arms is pretty dang important in protecting yourself -- as well as your property and other people.

Edited by Carborendum

On 5/31/2020 at 12:40 PM, Traveler said:

The Traveler

Oh... in my case, that's not sometimes... that's all the time.