The Slow Return to "Normal"

Yay Colorado 2nd phase! Nonessential businesses and services are coming back.

Non-urgent optional medical service obtained. Filthy truck run through the non-essential carwash which is back up and running!

Masks, handwashing, and social distancing still the norm, but dang, I'm glad the car wash place is back up and running. Don't want no businesses going under.  The kid running the line looked very happy to be there. 

Any good things coming back to you folks?

Edited by NeuroTypical

Just now, NeuroTypical said:

Non-urgent optional medical service obtained. Filthy truck run through the non-essential carwash which is back up and running!

Masks, handwashing, and social distancing still the norm, but dang, I'm glad the car wash place is back up and running. Don't want no businesses going under.  The kid running the line looked very happy to be there. 

Yep nonessential businesses are opening up today in Indiana. Restaurants at 50% capacity next week. We are also still observing social distancing, hand washing etc, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited to get back to my beloved bookstores.

I haven't paid attention to the phases.  The only thing that I was up in arms for was the beach closures.  And that has been opened in Florida for a while now.  School is closed for the rest of the school year which my son is very very unhappy about but he'll survive it.  Some of his classmates have gotten suicidal - this is a group of IB students, super high achievers, and this chaos is driving them insane.

I just got back from church!    As things stand now, if you're going to reimburse the EQP for his mother's day expenses, and it's going to be an auto-deposit, you have to have two people at the same computer to approve the expense.  So a counselor and I took turns going into the clerk's office, and I brought my keyboard and mouse from home so we each had our own keyboard.

Not quite normal, but the first expense reimbursement I've done since 'Rona started.

I'm loving the more relaxed atmosphere.  It' nice to go to the grocery store and have majority of people not acting like a hungry lion is stalking them.   There's actually more and more guidelines at the grocery store, but we're getting used to the "new normal" of one-way aisles, etc.

We're enjoying the spring weather here, and getting out of the house.  We walk to houses from kids in Primary and draw hop-scotches & messages on their sidewalks.  Most of the time people notice we are outside, and will come chat from their front porch.  It's SO good to see flesh & blood humans!!

Stores and all are opening up more though... honestly that really doesn't affect us.  Schools & playgrounds are still closed, grocery stores are still open.  We don't go anywhere else, epidemic or not.  

Since the ski resorts are closed - I have been riding my bicycle.  So here are some observations:

1. Last year I use to see a lot of rats while riding - I would try to run over them but have not been successful.  Recently, the only rats I am seeing are dead off to the side of the road or flat in the road.

2. Car traffic is not down that much - maybe 10 or 15 percent.

3. Number of cyclists seem to be down???

4. Parking at trail heads are overflowing - often cars are parked along the road for 3 or 4 blocks.  Hiking trails are way over crowed.  I think this is a good thing.

5. I am doing lots of home and residential investment projects myself because of significant cash flow decreases - Seeing lots of ward members and friends at Home Depot.

6. Some renters have left - a few are still paying their rent while they are gone but I do not know if they will be returning.  I had to go into one of my tenants that left for needed maintenance - they left food on dishes on tables - which looks like they left (months ago) half way through a meal??? - I do not know if they are coming back.  They left a lot of personal stuff but are not paying rent and are not communicating.  I have been contacted by someone that wants to move in.  I understand that a lot of people are suffering and are stressed - but if they are not willing to communicate - I cannot help. 

7. Our bishop let us know that as far as he knows - no one in the ward has contracted COVID-19 nor is anyone reporting any extended family with COVID-19.  There are just over 5,000 cases in all of Utah.

I do not understanding the logic connected to "return to normal".  Perhaps someone can explain to me what normal is.  I did see one guy ridding a bicycle with a face mask thing???  That is not normal and I do not think that individual is normal - do not know that they can return to normal.  I have pondered what will be normal for attending church meetings in the future?  It use to be normal to worship at church - I am realizing that attending church is more social the worship.  I do feel out of touch with lots of members.  Are we learning to live apart from one another?

The Traveler

10 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I do not understanding the logic connected to "return to normal".  Perhaps someone can explain to me what normal is.  I did see one guy ridding a bicycle with a face mask thing???  That is not normal and I do not think that individual is normal - do not know that they can return to normal.  I have pondered what will be normal for attending church meetings in the future?  It use to be normal to worship at church - I am realizing that attending church is more social the worship.  I do feel out of touch with lots of members.  Are we learning to live apart from one another?

"Normal" just means a relatively consitent state.  Even if it's an insane and unnatural one (which this whole thing is).

It's a lot of stress to (metaphorically) wake up in the morning and not know where that day's clothes are or what you should be wearing.  Having some type of predictability to things allows people to adapt.  Even to the insanity.

3 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

"Normal" just means a relatively consitent state.  Even if it's an insane and unnatural one (which this whole thing is).

It's a lot of stress to (metaphorically) wake up in the morning and not know where that day's clothes are or what you should be wearing.  Having some type of predictability to things allows people to adapt.  Even to the insanity.

Just to let you know - I have been to Wyoming and I have been to Time Square in New York.  What is normal in New York ain't close to what is normal in Wyoming.  Just between you and me - I prefer Wyoming but I live in Utah - cycling is better here but I do own (with a couple of brothers) a condo in Jackson. 

The Traveler

1 minute ago, Traveler said:

Just to let you know - I have been to Wyoming and I have been to Time Square in New York.  What is normal in New York ain't close to what is normal in Wyoming.  Just between you and me - I prefer Wyoming but I live in Utah - cycling is better here but I do own (with a couple of brothers) a condo in Jackson. 

The Traveler

AMEN to every single thing you just said!

@Traveler, as you said that, after my initial laugh and "AMEN"... there is actually something profound in what you said (ok- most of your posts are profound, but you know what I mean).    Cultures evolve and vary through time and space.  Even Jackson WY versus my part -- heck, a lot of folks here think Jackson is full of Democrat Crazies.  I think of how my sister, whom lives in a liberal city, gets that "what did you say- you can't be serious??" when I mentioned that my 3 year old learned how to fire Nerf guns at a church event.  How we learn to change with times- people go out and enjoy the space in Wyoming, and despite growing up in a city I can't remotely stand traffic nowadays (it literally makes me freak out).  

How you learn to do the "small town" thing... and in a way it's like we all moved to small towns suddenly.  Relationships still exist, but they are more... a rarer treasured moment, rather than expecting a never ending stream of faces.  In a small town you have to learn to "toot your own horn" for entertainment and taking care of yourself.  Sound familiar?  Learn to enjoy quiet, and learn how not to scream when the kid only wants to play with you 24/7.  

You learn, you adjust.  You discover what is precious, and what turns out to have just been clutter.  And you move forward with life :)

Guest Scott

My wife got laid off today and the business she works at is closing down (hopefully temporarily) Friday.

I am considered an essential worker so I'm still working.

Everything is still shut down in the mountain towns in Colorado.  I'm working in Leadville. 

19 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

@Traveler, as you said that, after my initial laugh and "AMEN"... there is actually something profound in what you said (ok- most of your posts are profound, but you know what I mean).    Cultures evolve and vary through time and space.  Even Jackson WY versus my part -- heck, a lot of folks here think Jackson is full of Democrat Crazies.  I think of how my sister, whom lives in a liberal city, gets that "what did you say- you can't be serious??" when I mentioned that my 3 year old learned how to fire Nerf guns at a church event.  How we learn to change with times- people go out and enjoy the space in Wyoming, and despite growing up in a city I can't remotely stand traffic nowadays (it literally makes me freak out).  

How you learn to do the "small town" thing... and in a way it's like we all moved to small towns suddenly.  Relationships still exist, but they are more... a rarer treasured moment, rather than expecting a never ending stream of faces.  In a small town you have to learn to "toot your own horn" for entertainment and taking care of yourself.  Sound familiar?  Learn to enjoy quiet, and learn how not to scream when the kid only wants to play with you 24/7.  

You learn, you adjust.  You discover what is precious, and what turns out to have just been clutter.  And you move forward with life :)

Amazing observation - quick story about culture evolution.  A long time ago my brother envied me  on a white water rafting trip.  At night I watched 3 generations sit together around a camp fire and laugh about their rafting war stories.  I had never seen anything like it before.  I came home and told my wife that our family needs to do this.  Instead of a ski boat we went all in for white water rafting.  My wife took the adventure to a whole new level.  We now have equipment for a 60 person expedition  - All my kids are certified river guides and it is now starting in a third generation.  The favorite run is the Grand Canyon of the Snake between Hoback and Alpine.  

We would show up 60 strong for church on Sunday in Wyoming spelling like campfire and no one seemed to notice or care.  They did not seem to care much that we were mostly city dudes and dudetts.  I use to tell my kids that anything you need to know about life you can learn on the river trips - like what has happened in the past is fun and interesting but you better always pay attention to what is coming up down stream.  My wife organized everything in the camp - everyone was involved in cooking, clean up and equipment care - and we ate better camping than at home.  I took care of everything on the river.  On the river the most important lesson for everyone is to work together which I believe to also be one of the most important lessons of life.  I use to ask new families after a river trip - if next year would they like to come again or go to Disneyland - no one has ever said Disneyland.  My wife has ever remained a beach gal but me - I prefer the mountains - hands down. 

One last note - I always thought the biggest differences in Wyoming culture was between the norther and southern parts. 😉 

The Traveler

I went to an indoor shooting range some days ago.  Shot a long gun out to the twenty-five yard maximum and also a pistol.  I like long guns much more than pistols as they can be fired accurately to much longer ranges.  I think my skills max out at around 220 yards with a rifle in good daylight conditions.

Edited by Still_Small_Voice
Grammar correction

Guest Scott

I mentioned my wife just got laid off today, but now our son might have coronavirus.  He got sent home from work for having a fever and some other symptoms.  He works at a place that does laundry for hospitals, including ones treating coronavirus.   He just got tested, but results take 3-4 days.

This has not been a good day.

Wow - that can be a stressful 3-4 days waiting around.   My cousin's family in Utah got it last month.  3 had "a bad flu" and it went away.  1 with prior lung issues had 3 weeks of fever and coughing, finally ending up in the ER.  The medically fragile kid they were most worried about never showed a single symptom.

Got my fingers crossed for your family!

So, here's an issue that is growing in importance:  Certain folks in certain areas of the legal profession are smelling blood in the water due to COVID-19.  Catch COVID while in prison?  Or in a nursing home?  Or at a business, where you are either a customer or an employee?  It's lawsuit time!  As the country begins taking tentative steps to reopen and walk the slow walk to normalcy, various trial lawyer associations are counting the billions they can pull out of the economy. 

Nearly 800 COVID-19 lawsuits have been filed, according to law firm's tracker

What should be done?  Where is the line between liability and people assuming their own risks as they move about during a global pandemic?  What do good solutions look like?

From the article: 

U.S. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnel, meanwhile, said a federal aid bill for state and local governments should make the money contingent on states providing liability protection to businesses and hospitals providing services during the pandemic.

2 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

So, here's an issue that is growing in importance:  Certain folks in certain areas of the legal profession are smelling blood in the water due to COVID-19.  Catch COVID while in prison?  Or in a nursing home?  Or at a business, where you are either a customer or an employee?  It's lawsuit time!  As the country begins taking tentative steps to reopen and walk the slow walk to normalcy, various trial lawyer associations are counting the billions they can pull out of the economy. 

Nearly 800 COVID-19 lawsuits have been filed, according to law firm's tracker

What should be done?  Where is the line between liability and people assuming their own risks as they move about during a global pandemic?  What do good solutions look like?

From the article: 

Personally, instead of blaming people at the bottom, they should blame those at the top.  Nursing homes can only do so much, and if even a quarter of their old resident's families sue, they won't even have the money to pay out.

Instead, go after the people who made the policies or delayed such items.  Brian Kemp is a PRIME example in my estimate.  He tried to claim he didn't even realize the virus was as contagious as it was until LOOOONG after EVERYONE knew it was contagious.  Either he is unfit for office...OR...he is blatantly lying about it...OR...he simply tossed off the advice and words of medical personnel thinking he knew better than trained scientists and medical professionals.  In any of those cases...HE SHOULD be the one to take the blame and the fall for many of the lax things that occurred in Georgia and have caused many of the deaths (or policies I would say led to deaths from the virus). 

Go to the top of the ladder, don't stick with the ones who couldn't do anything even if they wanted to because many of the policies of the government prevented them from doing what they felt they should do.

44 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

TGo to the top of the ladder, don't stick with the ones who couldn't do anything even if they wanted to because many of the policies of the government prevented them from doing what they felt they should do.

So, you're advocating for a particular way to sue people, ok.  But people wanting to sue, want to win $$.  Top of the ladder doesn't have the deep pockets.  Our nation's small businesses have billions upon billions of dollars, ready for the taking, and they all established safety procedures that can be entered into evidence, along with evidence that they did or didn't follow those procedures.  Why sue some government official when you can sue tens of thousands of businesses?  

(I'm trying to illustrate the problem here.)

On 5/4/2020 at 11:34 AM, NeuroTypical said:

I will never wear a mask. If I don't feel good, I will physically distance from other people, but I will not submit to dictators. 

Guest Godless
2 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

I will never wear a mask. If I don't feel good, I will physically distance from other people, but I will not submit to dictators. 

You could be infected and contagious for several days prior to not feeling good. That's the main point of the masks, to prevent asympomatic people from infecting others. It baffles me that many of the people demanding local governments to reopen their communities NOW also seem to be the most reluctant to adhere to measures that will make said reopenings safe. Reopening was always going to be contingent on strict safety measures being followed and enforced. That's the price of "freedom". If you* expect me to believe that school shootings are the price of 2A rights, then I think you can wear a mask at the mall.

*Generic. I'm not sure what your specific views are on guns and the 2A, but I know many people who have tried saying that occasional mass shootings are the price of freedom are the same who are upset that they can't go to Applebees, or that they have to wear masks in public. The cognitive dissonance is truly remarkable.

2 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

Lots of people are carriers for the virus, without showing symptoms.   But because government said have to, you're not gonna?  You visit your grandma with that attitude?  Seems sort of immature. 

Edited by NeuroTypical

42 minutes ago, Godless said:

*Generic. I'm not sure what your specific views are on guns and the 2A, but I know many people who have tried saying that occasional mass shootings are the price of freedom are the same who are upset that they can't go to Applebees, or that they have to wear masks in public. The cognitive dissonance is truly remarkable.

What is the fundamental disconnect between holding that government has no authority to prohibit firearm ownership—protection of rights will necessarily allow occasional bad things to happen, perhaps even including mass murders—and simultaneously holding that government has no authority to mandate wearing respiratory masks? I don't see how someone believing both things is demonstrating cognitive dissonance.

1 hour ago, Godless said:

You could be infected and contagious for several days prior to not feeling good. That's the main point of the masks, to prevent asympomatic people from infecting others. It baffles me that many of the people demanding local governments to reopen their communities NOW also seem to be the most reluctant to adhere to measures that will make said reopenings safe. Reopening was always going to be contingent on strict safety measures being followed and enforced. That's the price of "freedom". If you* expect me to believe that school shootings are the price of 2A rights, then I think you can wear a mask at the mall.

We need to get herd immunity for this, just like any other disease. Everyone is cowering in their homes waiting for Government or Bill Gates to save them; guess what, neither of these two will save us. Death is part of life and the sooner we stop acting like cowards the better is will be for our civilization.

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic