The Slow Return to "Normal"

41 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

We actually have a pretty big garden on our 5 acre lot.  Mrs. Carb has been having Spiritual Impressions that we need to have a bigger garden.  We've been building because I love my wife.

In 2 years, when my youngest son leave for his mission, I'm taking my Off-Grid Tiny House On Wheels and parking it on your 5-acre lot so I can visit my mother and your wife can have 2 slaves to get her garden in shape.  😜

6 minutes ago, KScience said:

Government plans on sending back 5 year old to school first - which makes no sense morally, socially or educationally.

Fortunately, parents can simply laugh at such foolishness and keep their children at home, if they want.

1 minute ago, Vort said:

Fortunately, parents can simply laugh at such foolishness and keep their children at home, if they want.

Not when there are huge fines for missing school.  Again the poorest in the community have the least chance or kicking against the pricks

19 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

In 2 years, when my youngest son leave for his mission, I'm taking my Off-Grid Tiny House On Wheels and parking it on your 5-acre lot so I can visit my mother and your wife can have 2 slaves to get her garden in shape.  😜

I'm really not opposed to that. I'm serious if you are.  We actually have a pretty nice place for you to put the tiny home if you want it. 

I'll have to contact an electrician to get power out there.  The plumbing can be routed from a sprinkler line.  No septic.  Too far from the tank.  You'll have to come up with something.

Not only that.  But we'll have a much smaller population in our 6-bd home as soon as they start allowing missionaries again.  And it will keep shrinking from there onward.

32 minutes ago, KScience said:

Not when there are huge fines for missing school.  Again the poorest in the community have the least chance or kicking against the pricks

Not to put too fine a point on it, but people who are forced to allow the state to educate their children are slaves to the state. I am very sorry if you are in that situation. Makes me glad yet again that, despite America's numerous failings, it is fundamentally still a free state that protects people's liberty to exercise their rights.

14 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I'm really not opposed to that. I'm serious if you are.  We actually have a pretty nice place for you to put the tiny home if you want it. 

I'll have to contact an electrician to get power out there.  The plumbing can be routed from a sprinkler line.  No septic.  Too far from the tank.  You'll have to come up with something.

Not only that.  But we'll have a much smaller population in our 6-bd home as soon as they start allowing missionaries again.  And it will keep shrinking from there onward.

WHOA!  I wasn't really serious about parking in your property (but I can be serious if you're serious!)  but I am serious about moving to a Tiny House on Wheels.  Solar powered with emergency propane inverter generator and a composting toilet.  My main concern is where to get water and where to drain the gray tank and where to dump the trash.

I was thinking of parking every year at Magnolia Beach in Calhoun County for the Christmas Season to be closer to my mother in Harris County.  From what I heard, you can camp at the beach for free and then there's an RV campground closeby to refill water and dump gray.

40 minutes ago, KScience said:

I don't know of any State that doesn't allow for homeschooled children.  Is there such a one?

3 hours ago, anatess2 said:

I don't know of any State that doesn't allow for homeschooled children.  Is there such a one?

Homeschooling is not very common in the UK, and most home schooled children are definitely of middle class. You have to register to homeschool, and with most local authorities on skeleton staff that wont be straight forward; plus most parents would not even consider that they could.  Mind you working in inner city schools for years I met many parents who were poorly educated, struggled with basic numeracy and literacy and would not have the faintest idea about where to start.

As a secondary school teacher I actually suggested to a parent once that they should consider homeschooling as they did not value the curriculum that was being offered to their offspring. The parents evening meeting had started along the lines of "and before you start telling me that he needs to make more effort and he is not going to pass his exams, I don't care because I cant read and write and I make more than you do and buy a new Jag every year".  Parent did not take kindly to my advice and told me it was my responsibility to get his child an education🤦‍♀️

29 minutes ago, KScience said:

As a secondary school teacher I actually suggested to a parent once that they should consider homeschooling as they did not value the curriculum that was being offered to their offspring. The parents evening meeting had started along the lines of "and before you start telling me that he needs to make more effort and he is not going to pass his exams, I don't care because I cant read and write and I make more than you do and buy a new Jag every year".  Parent did not take kindly to my advice and told me it was my responsibility to get his child an education🤦‍♀️

What a tragedy. When a parent steadfastly refuses to accept the most basic responsibilities for his child, I'm not sure that's curable.

48 minutes ago, KScience said:

Homeschooling is not very common in the UK, and most home schooled children are definitely of middle class. You have to register to homeschool, and with most local authorities on skeleton staff that wont be straight forward; plus most parents would not even consider that they could.  Mind you working in inner city schools for years I met many parents who were poorly educated, struggled with basic numeracy and literacy and would not have the faintest idea about where to start.

If he makes that much money, one would think that a private school would be a better option.

6 minutes ago, Vort said:

I don't understand people who brag about having lots of money, perhaps because I'm not one of them. Is being born into a rich family really something to be proud of? The mindset escapes me.

I think everyone brags to a certain degree about things that they think are important.  From a certain perspectve, one could even argue that bearing testimony is a type of bragging.  It's just that they value money instead of their relationship with the Lord.

On 5/4/2020 at 12:43 PM, Vort said:

Washington State's "first phase" starts tomorrow. Starts, that is. I would not be surprised if Inslee drags this thing out literally all summer.

Inslee is an idiot.  I'm glad he's yours and not mine.  :)   

2 hours ago, Vort said:

I don't understand people who brag about having lots of money, perhaps because I'm not one of them. Is being born into a rich family really something to be proud of? The mindset escapes me.

I have a brother and a cousin that have to share on facebook every new thing they get.   My brother posted a picture of his new camping trailer.  My cousin immediately had to respond that they just bought a bigger one.  The thing with my cousin...4 years ago they were in so much debt they didn't know how they would get ahead.  Then my uncle died and left her more money than she even knew he had.  Plus a house and so much more.  So now she acts like she is one of the wealthy ones.

Guest LiterateParakeet
7 hours ago, anatess2 said:

California makes it pretty difficult from what I hear, but it is still possible. 

13 hours ago, Carborendum said:

If he makes that much money, one would think that a private school would be a better option.

Kid got kicked out of private schools at junior age..... they can be selective and no more would admit him.  This was his 3rd secondary school and as the worst school in the authority (and 2nd worst authority in the country) its where kids ended up.

I wish I could say the attitude was a one off

2 hours ago, KScience said:

Kid got kicked out of private schools at junior age..... they can be selective and no more would admit him.  This was his 3rd secondary school and as the worst school in the authority (and 2nd worst authority in the country) its where kids ended up.

I wish I could say the attitude was a one off

In that case, my attitude toward him would be "beggars can't be choosers." But he is so uneducated that the relevance of that saying to his particular circumstance would be lost on hm.

• pam featured this topic
On 5/15/2020 at 9:40 AM, Carborendum said:

We actually have a pretty big garden on our 5 acre lot. 

Good for you!!!!  The only place I can get things to grow are in our refrigerator. 

Here in Sandy, Utah if anyone starts growing vegie things in their yard - they will attract a lot of rats - that will eat most of it before they can.

The Traveler

• pam unfeatured this topic