Importunity

Jamie123

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

Some thesaurus.  He didn't even use "importunity" correctly.  Pfbfbbtt.

And you didn't even spell Pfbfbbttt correctly - 3 tees not 2.

And correct grammar would suggest either a saurus or the saurus but not both a and thesaurus

Edited by askandanswer

37 minutes ago, Vort said:

Yeah, I was wondering if that was a peculiarly British usage. It's a funny pun, but the comic doesn't really make good sense as stands.

I don't think I've ever heard a Brit use the term "vamoose."

And did you intend that usage of "stands"?

Edited by Carborendum

3 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Some thesaurus.  He didn't even use "importunity" correctly.  Pfbfbbtt.

Actually as a teacher, let me say this may be intentional. I can usually tell when a student used a thesaurus to write out their answers because they almost never use the word they've found correctly. It just sounds "smart" to them so they throw it in.

13 minutes ago, Midwest LDS said:

Actually as a teacher, let me say this may be intentional. I can usually tell when a student used a thesaurus to write out their answers because they almost never use the word they've found correctly. It just sounds "smart" to them so they throw it in.

Yup, my high school English teacher (whom I've praised many times here) said that the only people who should be using a thesaurus are the people who don't need one.

16 hours ago, Vort said:

Yeah, I was wondering if that was a peculiarly British usage. It's a funny pun, but the comic doesn't really make good sense as stands.

I didn't make this cartoon by the way. I don't believe anyone uses the word "importunity" any more - I think "being a nagging pest" would be the way most people would express the concept.