When Women (don't) Speak

Carborendum

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Only if you were as friendly with her as you are with me. :)   

I kinda felt that with the years together on this board, I was able to refer to @anatess2 as "BABE!!!" and not get thrown under the bus or accused of something sexual.

We agree, a lot does depend on relationships and how informal/formal you are together. You might think me calling my friend "Lady Macbeth" after 15+ years is weird, and that's fine. 

However, I strongly, strongly, strongly recommend that you don't call women "Babe" or "Honey" or "Dear" unless you really know them. If you think I'm wrong, fine. Do so in an office setting. When Human Resources tells you to clean out your desk and find other employment, that's on you. 

Edited by MormonGator

1 minute ago, MormonGator said:

We agree, a lot does depend on relationships and how informal/formal you are together. You might think me calling my friend "Lady Macbeth" after 15+ years is weird, and that's fine. 

However, I strongly, strongly, strongly recommend that you don't call women "Babe" or "Honey" or "Dear" unless you really know them. If you think I'm wrong, fine. Do so in an office setting. When Human Resources tells you to clean out your desk and find other employment, that's one you. 

Absolutely agree.  I was once at a tux shop trying to get measured for a rental.  Remember that I've always looked young for my age.  The gal at the shop must have been around 18 to 20.  I was about 24.  She kept calling me "dear" in a tone that sounded like a motherly talking down tone to a neighborhood child.

I answered a question she asked, and then I said,"And please stop calling me 'dear'."

She immediately tensed up and responded,"Yes, sir."

Guest MormonGator
6 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Absolutely agree.  I was once at a tux shop trying to get measured for a rental.  Remember that I've always looked young for my age.  The gal at the shop must have been around 18 to 20.  I was about 24.  She kept calling me "dear" in a tone that sounded like a motherly talking down tone to a neighborhood child.

I answered a question she asked, and then I said,"And please stop calling me 'dear'."

She immediately tensed up and responded,"Yes, sir."

Someone at my old ward kept calling me Jim. I ignored it but responded to Jim. It didn't bother me, I know who I am. Eventually his wife told him my name was Tim-he apologized, but again, I didn't care. I think most people are like him-they make honest mistakes and don't try to be offensive. 

Don't get me wrong, there are people out there who DO try to be rude and offensive. And that's sad. 

1 minute ago, MormonGator said:

Someone at my old ward kept calling me Jim. I ignored it but responded to Jim. It didn't bother me, I know who I am. 

I actually had someone call me "Bruce" (for obvious reasons) for about a year and a half.  I thought he was just playing because he smiled each time he said it.  I didn't mind.

After a time, I realized that he never once called me by my name.  I stopped him and asked,"You do know that isn't my name, right?"

He was shocked.  No.  He actually thought that was my name.  He smiled because he thought it was funny to come across an Asian guy who was actually named "Bruce."  I think he was more hurt by that news than I ever was.

6 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Someone at my old ward kept calling me Jim. I ignored it but responded to Jim. It didn't bother me, I know who I am. Eventually his wife told him my name was Tim-he apologized, but again, I didn't care. I think most people are like him-they make honest mistakes and don't try to be offensive. 

Don't get me wrong, there are people out there who DO try to be rude and offensive. And that's sad. 

Cool story, Kim.

35 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Only if you were as friendly with her as you are with me. :)   

I kinda felt that with the years together on this board, I was able to refer to @anatess2 as "BABE!!!" and not get thrown under the bus or accused of something sexual.

That's probably because I see/hear Babe as a cute piglet.