The Seven Seals

Allison

I got the idea for this topic from a recent post of Anddenex about the 6th seal.

According to Doctrine and Covenants 77, each of the seals represents 1000 years of
Earth's temporal existence.  Revelation 8:7 (the first trumpet after the 7th seal)
says, "The first angel sounded, and there followed hail and fire mingled with blood,
and they were cast upon the earth: and the third part of trees was burnt up, and
all green grass was burnt up".

When do you believe is the timing of this event?  Before, during, or after the 7000
years?

The 6th seal has this event - "And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and,
lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and
the moon became as blood; And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig
tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind. And the heaven
departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were
moved out of their places".

Do you recall from history these events in the 1000 year period before the millenium?

Based on Joseph's revelation, I require clarity about the events in the other seals.

In the first one thousand years, this event - "And I saw, and behold a white horse:
and he that sat on him had a bow; and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth
conquering, and to conquer".

In the second thousand years, this event - "And there went out another horse that
was red: and power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth,
and that they should kill one another: and there was given unto him a great sword".

So there was peace and no one killed each other in the first 1000 years of earth's
temporal existence?

Thank you for your insights.

Allison

I once got negative feed back because I referenced the opining of the 7th seal in the Book of Revelation to prove that there are no women in heaven - because no woman could remain silent for a half hour.  😁

Now that my bad humor is done - I do not think that anyone understand the poetic symbolism of the Book of Revelation and publishes it.  If there is anything that a Saint can use in that book it is because G-d alone communicates understanding spirit to spirit.

The Traveler 

Nothing kills a thread faster than @Traveler coming on and implying that anyone who deigns to answer is uninspired of the Lord. 😆

But there is a lot of truth to what he says concerning the need for personal revelation in this matter. Though I wouldn't go so far as to say there is nothing to gain short of that but without it we shouldn't consider it anything more than an educated guess at best. But it is fun to speculate... so long as you see it as such and it doesn't cause you to go off and join some compound somewhere.

3 hours ago, Allison said:

So there was peace and no one killed each other in the first 1000 years of earth's
temporal existence?

Thank you for your insights.

Allison

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/manual/new-testament-teacher-resource-manual/the-revelation-of-saint-john-the-divine/revelation-6-7?lang=eng

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/manual/new-testament-teacher-resource-manual/the-revelation-of-saint-john-the-divine/revelation-8-11?lang=eng

The Lord's work is always accomplished in the midst of the maximal spiritual and temporal opposition to be found in this world (war, destruction, famine, disease, sin and wickedness, etc.).

Edited by CV75

Let me apologize up front as I don't normally like quoting long passages of scriptures as it's not usually a very direct to the point means of getting the point across. But in this case I think context is everything and these verses provide that. I believe the D&C reference to the half hour of silence to be much more instructive than the Book of Revelations one. In D&C 88:81 we read the familiar passage of "it becometh every man who hath been warned to warn his neighbor." The Lord then goes on to expound upon this topic of the need for us to testify to the world. Then we get to these passages: 

88 And after your testimony cometh wrath and indignation upon the people.

89 For after your testimony cometh the testimony of earthquakes, that shall cause groanings in the midst of her, and men shall fall upon the ground and shall not be able to stand.

90 And also cometh the testimony of the voice of thunderings, and the voice of lightnings, and the voice of tempests, and the voice of the waves of the sea heaving themselves beyond their bounds.

91 And all things shall be in commotion; and surely, men’s hearts shall fail them; for fear shall come upon all people.

92 And angels shall fly through the midst of heaven, crying with a loud voice, sounding the trump of God, saying: Prepare ye, prepare ye, O inhabitants of the earth; for the judgment of our God is come. Behold, and lo, the Bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.

93 And immediately there shall appear a great sign in heaven, and all people shall see it together.

94 And another angel shall sound his trump, saying: That great church, the mother of abominations, that made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, that persecuteth the saints of God, that shed their blood—she who sitteth upon many waters, and upon the islands of the sea—behold, she is the tares of the earth; she is bound in bundles; her bands are made strong, no man can loose them; therefore, she is ready to be burned. And he shall sound his trump both long and loud, and all nations shall hear it.

So after we the members of the Church testify to the world, the earth and sky testify, and also the heavens testify via angels sounding trumps for all to hear. Then after all this testifying and sounding of trumps we read the next verse:

95 And there shall be silence in heaven for the space of half an hour; and immediately after shall the curtain of heaven be unfolded, as a scroll is unfolded after it is rolled up, and the face of the Lord shall be unveiled;

So following all of the warnings there is silence, which I take it to mean no more warnings (at least not from heaven). After which the Savior comes. I'm assuming this period of time is given for those truly converted by all the preceding events to get their act in order and also to allow those who are only forced to believe because of all the evidence to return to their old ways, kind of like that period of time in the Book of Mormon between the sign of the Lord's birth and his appearance among them and the destruction of the wicked. There might be more to it than that but that's how I interpret it.

Guest LiterateParakeet
On 5/10/2020 at 4:24 PM, JohnsonJones said:

I think the 7th seal has been opened, and that we are currently in the half hour of silence. 

I partially agree.  I believe we are in the 7th seal, but I think we recently ended the half hour of silence.  I've come to this conclusion based on some videos I watched on YouTube...and before you say it....that is no different (than if one of you had written it here....with the exception that I will watch long videos, and don't generally read LOOOOOONG posts.)  Here in and the videos, it's just Latter-Day Saints discussing the scriptures together and sharing our thoughts.  Then it is up to each person to inquire of the Lord if the OPINIONS they heard/read are true.  I'm still praying about the information in the videos...it's a slow process because I think the Lord expects me to put in some study of my own, but so far so good.  :)   

So here are a couple of opinions, like ours but in video form....

Edited by LiterateParakeet

They think that the calculations for the actual time the millennium or 2 thousand years from the Birth of our Lord is actually off by several years (as much as up to a decade)...one way or the other.  Put's a little more mystery on when it may actually have occurred or when.

My thoughts are that around 2007 to 2008 is when the time period actually began, but the reasons for that are largely personal.  I'd put a target year of around somewhere between 2028-2030 for the end of it, but I'm not sure (obviously, as no man knows the day or time). 

Guest LiterateParakeet
On 5/10/2020 at 7:16 AM, Allison said:

According to Doctrine and Covenants 77, each of the seals represents 1000 years of Earth's temporal existence.  Revelation 8:7 (the first trumpet after the 7th seal)
says, "The first angel sounded, and there followed hail and fire mingled with blood, and they were cast upon the earth: and the third part of trees was burnt up, and
all green grass was burnt up".

When do you believe is the timing of this event?  Before, during, or after the 7000 years?

Remember the 7th seal includes the Millenium, so this would need to happen near the beginning.  

The 6th seal has this event - "And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and
the moon became as blood; And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind. And the heaven
departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places".

Do you recall from history these events in the 1000 year period before the millenium?

Both the videos I shared above mention this earthquake and said it already happened, so I looked it up.  

Approx. 800 years ago, there was a MASSIVE earthquake.  1,100,000 people died....  Look at this list from Wikipedia, scroll down to July 5, 1201 and or May 20, 1202  (approx. 800 years ago)  1,100,000 fatalities, nothing else on the list even comes close.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_historical_earthquakes

Pres. Hinckley mentioned the Prophesy of Joel which also talks about the moon turning to blood.  He said it has already been fulfilled.  He didn't say when or how, simply that it had occured.  Here's the link:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2001/10/living-in-the-fulness-of-times?lang=eng

Most importantly, we need to heed the words of our current prophet.  Just last month there was a whole article from him about it:
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2001/10/living-in-the-fulness-of-times?lang=eng

Guest LiterateParakeet
41 minutes ago, laronius said:

@LiterateParakeet you'll watch an hour long video but you won't read my post??? What if I record it? 😁 Think of it this way, by the time you get done reading my post you'll have gotten a full day's scripture study in. 😉

If you record it, please make a great PowerPoint to go with it.  :D. 

Actually, though I did read your post. 

27 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

If you record it, please make a great PowerPoint to go with it.  :D. 

Actually, though I did read your post. 

Better yet I'll record myself reenacting the seven seals by way of interpretive dance. It may not be doctrinally accurate but it will be entertaining.

Guest LiterateParakeet
1 minute ago, laronius said:

Better yet I'll record myself reenacting the seven seals by way of interpretive dance. It may not be doctrinally accurate but it will be entertaining.

That will be epic, I'm sure! 

On 5/10/2020 at 5:24 PM, JohnsonJones said:

I think the 7th seal has been opened, and that we are currently in the half hour of silence. 

Sure seems like it sometimes. I certainly have times that I feel nothing as far as inspiration. Granted, it could be my own sins that keep me from Him, but I also repent and sometimes feel nothing when I pray for His healing.

I take comfort in this quote:

“Who is righteous? Anyone who is repenting. No matter how bad he has been, if he is repenting he is a righteous man. There is hope for him. And no matter how good he has been all his life, if he is not repenting, he is a wicked man. The difference is which way you are facing. The man on the top of the stairs facing down if much worse off than the man on the bottom step who is facing up. The direction we are facing, that is repentance; and that is what determines whether we are good or bad.”

-Hugh Nibley, Approaching Zion, pg. 301-302

Edited by Emmanuel Goldstein

On 5/10/2020 at 9:16 AM, Allison said:

The 6th seal has this event - "And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and,
lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and
the moon became as blood; And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig
tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind. And the heaven
departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were
moved out of their places".

Yes, I saw it happen.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2020 at 9:16 AM, Allison said:

In the first one thousand years, this event - "And I saw, and behold a white horse:
and he that sat on him had a bow; and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth
conquering, and to conquer".

In the second thousand years, this event - "And there went out another horse that
was red: and power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth,
and that they should kill one another: and there was given unto him a great sword".

temporal existence?

How does this make any sense?

Edited by Carborendum